All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

Spring training lines: BA/OBP/SLG

Stowers = .297/.316/.865

Cowser = .364/.488/.758

Certainly a tough call between Cowser or Stowers, maybe it comes down to ability to hit LHPs considering Os affinity for platoon (dis)advantages.

7 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Stowers = .297/.316/.865

Cowser = .364/.488/.758

Certainly a tough call between Cowser or Stowers, maybe it comes down to ability to hit LHPs considering Os affinity for platoon (dis)advantages.

I think it comes down to who can play CF

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Burdick getting claimed helps Cowser’s chances. It’s good to see Stowers back after having a really tough luck season last year. Struggling at the MLB level, then shoulder injury, then getting hit in the face with a ball. Stowers could still have a future here with Santa being a FA this year, and Mullins/Hays the following year. 

Stowers has played CF already. But Cowser has a defensive edge over him, right?

7 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Stowers = .297/.316/.865

Cowser = .364/.488/.758

It might be helpful to imagine Stowers as a matchup go face left handed pitchers. Which would pair with Mullins except Stowers isn't fast enough to play Centerfield. Cowser isn't really what I'd prefer in a Centerfielder either. I'd prefer Cowser on the OF corners. The only guys we know for sure can back up Mullins in CF defensively are Hays and McKenna.

17 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It might be helpful to imagine Stowers as a matchup go face left handed pitchers. Which would pair with Mullins except Stowers isn't fast enough to play Centerfield. Cowser isn't really what I'd prefer in a Centerfielder either. I'd prefer Cowser on the OF corners. The only guys we know for sure can back up Mullins in CF defensively are Hays and McKenna.

It would be nice if Mateo can backup in CF because it makes carrying McKenna on the 26 man roster less of an option. McKenna defensively is the best defensive option in CF over the other outfielders that are currently MLB ready. If Mateo can do the job then it makes it easier to carry two out three when it comes to Cowser, Kjerstad and Stowers. 

8 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

I hope we are at least trying to pull off a trade. Hard to argue we don't have a surplus at this point. 

You call it a surplus, Elias calls it depth.    

Trade for what?  The O's have at least 5 starters and Means is scheduled to join them in May.

The O's have a bunch of relievers and good pitchers are not normally traded late in ST or early in the season.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Burdick getting claimed helps Cowser’s chances. It’s good to see Stowers back after having a really tough luck season last year. Struggling at the MLB level, then shoulder injury, then getting hit in the face with a ball. Stowers could still have a future here with Santa being a FA this year, and Mullins/Hays the following year. 

We picked Burdick back up off waivers from the White Sox yesterday (3/16) and he’s been optioned to Norfolk. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trade for what?  The O's have at least 5 starters and Means is scheduled to join them in May.

The O's have a bunch of relievers and good pitchers are not normally traded late in ST or early in the season.

Maybe "comparative surplus" is a better term. I guess you can never have enough at any position, but I'd rather have more surplus at SP/RP (where injuries are pretty much guaranteed these days) than with position players.

Not saying give anyone away, but just seeing what's out there.

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2024 at 1:05 AM, forphase1 said:

Well, if they are putting him down for considerable playing time, I sure hope they aren't doing so by counting on his career .714 OPS to carry the day...

There’s a wide gap between .867 and .714.   ZiPS projects him at .762, Steamer .749, Marcel .740.   I’d say somewhere in that ballpark is what I’m expecting.  

Edited by Frobby

Three homers for Stowers today, and seven for the spring.  He’s certainly made his case for a roster spot, and I could imagine the Orioles giving him the first crack at the 4th OF job.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Three homers for Stowers today, and seven for the spring.  He’s certainly made his case for a roster spot, and I could imagine the Orioles giving him the first crack at the 4th OF job.  

Needs three to tie, four for the lead.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Danny Coloumbe was traded for at the end of last ST.