Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think my least favorite part about this is it puts so much pressure on Grayson Rodriguez as a defacto #2 to Corbin freakin' Burnes on a team trying to get to the World Series. 

And then what are you getting out of Dean Kremer night to night? 

And you're backing all this up with a bullpen that is without Wells? With an aging closer who may or may not be effective?

Man... I dunno. These are some serious pitching holes. I have to believe Elias is going to try and land a starter and a reliever somehow. 

It's definitely a domino effect.  Are we really even confident in Means starting this year?  Can we count on him?  He had two set backs last season.  Now he's not ready to go after a whole offseason.  It seems like we need Cease and Lorenzen.  If Means can come back then Lorenzen goes to the pen.  

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

When has Elias ever been straight / completely honest with the press? 99% of his pressers are a bunch of words strung together with no substance. That's all this was. 

Non-surgical treatment rarely works for a sprained/torn UCL. It's not a question of if he's going to need surgery it's a question of when. 

62% doesn't seem like "rarely" to me, but nobody can say for sure without having access to his medical records.

https://twitter.com/LockedOnOrioles/status/1758155638876581923/photo/1

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

When has Elias ever been straight / completely honest with the press? 99% of his pressers are a bunch of words strung together with no substance. That's all this was. 

Non-surgical treatment rarely works for a sprained/torn UCL. It's not a question of if he's going to need surgery it's a question of when. 

Completely disagree. He chooses his words carefully and I find more often than not what he says is relevant and accurate. His careful approach can come off as calculating because he often qualifies what he says, as most intelligent people discussing sensitive or uncertain subjects will do. In this instance he leaned pretty heavily into the notion that they like the progression from January, but they'll need to see how it responds to establish a timeline. Still leaves him the wiggle room to come back and say it didn't work out, but he's clearly stating an expectation that Bradish will pitch in 2024. Again, I just don't see an upside to setting that expectation unless they believed it. If they were concerned he'd be out, I think they'd describe it like Felix's situation last September.

3 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would rather get a guy like Lorenzen / Ryu on a one year deal.  Problem with Montgomery signing isn't just a question for our payroll this year its a question for the next several years when we need to be accounting for additional payroll to extend our young core stars.

Under these circumstances, it’s probably better to overpay for quality. I would dread the last couple of years of a long contract, but it would be easier to endure if we had a flag or two to wave.

1 minute ago, jcaponio said:

62% doesn't seem like "rarely" to me, but nobody can say for sure without having access to his medical records.

https://twitter.com/LockedOnOrioles/status/1758155638876581923/photo/1

A sprained UCL for a regular Joe Schmo compared to a pitcher who uses that ligament strenuously with regularity is a completed different scenario and the odds are definitely not 62%. 

Injuries happen and today sucked.  I think we won't be looking forward to the first day of camp next year in knowing that is when Elias drops the offseason injury news on us.  However, we could come out of this only down the $8-10 million it would cost to sign one of Lorenzen/Clevenger/Ryu and Kjerstad, Norby, and prospect.  

It's like having your car break down, but also feeling lucky that you have the money to fix it.  

Just now, interloper said:

The data I want to know is, how many of those 62% eventually had the surgery within the next 3 years? 

Good question. But I think it's worth noting that they never even bothered to give Bautista the PRP treatment last year, so we can deduce that Bradish's tear is at least a couple grades less severe than Felix's was (if it's indeed a tear and not just severe stretching, which would also qualify as a sprain).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

If the clubhouse is comfortable with Bauer I'd say go for it. Didn't we do something similar with Nelson Cruz? Granted that's roids vs. sexual assault. 

There was no sexual assault.  The text messages have been made public.  It was an extortion plot to get money from Bauer.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That  comparison is an absolute slap in Nelson Cruz's face. 

The comparison was only about the clubhouse being comfortable bringing him in. That's why I specifically mentioned that in my post. They are obviously not the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

A sprained UCL for a regular Joe Schmo compared to a pitcher who uses that ligament strenuously with regularity is a completed different scenario and the odds are definitely not 62%. 

That study was done on injured pitchers, not a bunch of fatsos who work in cubicles. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

The data I want to know is, how many of those 62% eventually had the surgery within the next 3 years? 

...and how many were MLB pitchers who regularly and strenuously use their UCL ligaments? Sure if I'm just sitting on my couch drinking beer I might be able to avoid surgery, but to avoid it as a pitcher seems very unrealistic.