Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

52 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Im not defending a single part of his character. I’m defending him as a player. I want him on the Orioles to help us win games. I don’t care what his character is. There’s plenty of shitty people rostered in the MLB.

It's unbelievably naive to think that Bauer's on field performance is the only thing that matters. If he's a clubhouse cancer, that matters. If signing him will alienate a portion of the fanbase, that also matters. And his on field peformance is far from a given. He publicly admitted to cheating to increase his spin rate and was demoted to the minor leagues at one point in the NPB  last season because he was so bad. There are just as many red flags in Bauer's pitching profile as there are in his character, but his defenders tend to ignore and/or dismiss them when they defend their patron saint of a$$holedom.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The only thing that really has changed is now the other teams/GMs/Agents know that Bradish and Means are hurt.  Elias has already known this.  He knew this when he traded for Burnes.  

While we can be fairly certain that the media did not know since it was not previously reported, however, I think it’s an assumption that other GMs/Agents did not at least hear whispers/rumblings about O’s players health situation.  Maybe they truly did not, but the individual offseason training programs are more often than not with other players & trainers than completely behind the curtain.

48 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

All I'm going to say on Trevor Bauer is if the Orioles are going to even consider such a move I'd run it by the clubhouse. If the Orioles players are good playing along side Bauer then sign him if Elias thinks it's the right move.

This is it, vet him. If he passes all the tests, hold him to his word and sign him at minimum wage with incentives. He even said it in the Theo Von interview, if he's an issue, cut him and you only lose that minimum wage salary

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

After getting the surgery in 1974. 

At this point, I’m really not clear what points anyone is trying to make.   I think @Sports Guy’s point was that they’ve been doing TJ surgery for a very long time now so a lot is known about it.  And  what you’ve said here just reinforces that.   

Just now, Frobby said:

At this point, I’m really not clear what points anyone is trying to make.   I think @Sports Guy’s point was that they’ve been doing TJ surgery for a very long time now so a lot is known about it.  And  what you’ve said here just reinforces that.   

Yeah someone posted it was a relatively new surgery. I was pointing out that 50 years isn't quite new.

• Upvote 1

To chime in on the Trevor Bauer talks I would at least ask around. Teammates, coaches, scouts and so on. I am a forgiving person to start with. I have listened to him talk and lean no at this point. He seems like the person that admits fault but only to a point that paints him in a decent picture. I’d rather him give the old battered down AA meeting talk with no barriers.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yea just pointing out that it’s been around for a long time. Another poster was acting as if it was relatively new.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord, this is about the worse news possible on opening day of camp. How in the world do you sprain your UCL over the offseason?

Wow, what a bummer. Guess Elias better get on the phone and get something done or Tyler Wells/Cole Irvin just became starter candidates.

At a place like Driveline?

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I actually didn’t know that he got it done that long ago. Did Andrews do that one?  Wasn’t he the first guy to experiment with it?

It was done by Dr. Frank Jobe and "taking a tendon from John's wrist, Jobe drilled holes into John's ulna and humerus bones and grafted the tendon in a basic figure-eight design, held in place by anchors." I suspect the surgery is a little neater 50 years later lol. It sure held up for Tommy John, though.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

Dr. Neal ElAttrache authored a paper on PRP therapy for UCL tears.  One thing that stuck out was that pro and even college throwers are rarely eligible for PRP therapy because it's not common for UCL tears for pro pitchers to be grade 1 or 2 and thus be a good candidate.  The study mentioned that 4 out of 6 professional pitchers did return to play at their previous level or higher.

Here's a link:

https://cdn.mdedge.com/files/s3fs-public/issues/articles/content_64411e91dff9390c31_ajo045070296.PDF&ved=2ahUKEwjSgKXJmK-EAxXo_skDHTQPA7UQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0wGzpD_rbDsiWRl0y_aQoc

Edited by Hallas

Below is a list of MLB pitchers successfully returning from non-operative UCL treatment.  Excluded are pitchers that returned to the big leagues without surgery but then quickly needed surgery (e.g., Francisco Liriano).  A number of these pitchers had the benefit of a full offseason to recover.  A couple, Wei-Yin Chen and Gregg Olson, sort of muddled through with some ongoing injury issues.

Mason Miller - May 7, 2023 to Sep 6, 2023 

Seth Lugo - Apr 4, 2017 to Jun 11, 2017

Aaron Nola - Jul 28, 2016 to opening day roster 2017

Wei-Yin Chen - Jul 20, 2016 to Sep 19, 2016; May 1, 2017 to Sep 4, 2017; Sep 22, 2017 to Apr 28, 2018

Michael Lorenzen - Mar 9, 2016 spring training start scratch (following two weeks of soreness) to Jun 24, 2016

Tyler Thornburg - Jun 6, 2014 - opening day roster 2015

Masahiro Tanaka - Jul 8, 2014 to Sep 21, 2014

Chad Billingsley - Aug 24, 2012 to Apr 10, 2013

Takashi Saito - Jul 12, 2008 to Sep 15, 2008

Gregg Olson - Aug 8, 1993, returned Sep 22, 1993 to walk only batter faced; then returned May 30, 1994

Nolan Ryan - Oct 1986 to opening day roster 1987

• Upvote 2