I get why the O’s embargo offseason injury news until spring training begins, but I hate it

Frobby

There are reasons the O’s embargo offseason injury news.  If you are negotiating trades, you don’t want counter parties having information that gives them more leverage.   Same with free agents.   

Bur man, I hate it.  I was all excited to read some puff pieces today to get me juiced for the season, only to get a torrent of buzzkill news.   I’d much rather have just baked this all in over the last several weeks so I could be enjoying the start of spring training instead of absorbing a bunch of crappy news all at once.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are reasons the O’s embargo offseason injury news.  If you are negotiating trades, you don’t want counter parties having information that gives them more leverage.   Same with free agents.   

Bur man, I hate it.  I was all excited to read some puff pieces today to get me juiced for the season, only to get a torrent of buzzkill news.   I’d much rather have just baked this all in over the last several weeks so I could be enjoying the start of spring training instead of absorbing a bunch of crappy news all at once.  

Feels like a good night watch The Sandlot.

3cd9c8dbb1d56285b4100bdbe36cf6b8.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The worst part is, we aren't getting the entire story.  We are getting the PR version of what's actually happened to the players.  I get no reassurance from Hyde saying, "I'm not worried about it" or "this is pretty normal stuff" or "they are in a program and should be back soon".  All of the injuries reported today are serious and significant and they are trying to sell us the opposite.  

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The worst part is, we aren't getting the entire story.  We are getting the PR version of what's actually happened to the players.  I get no reassurance from Hyde saying, "I'm not worried about it" or "this is pretty normal stuff" or "they are in a program and should be back soon".  All of the injuries reported today are serious and significant and they are trying to sell us the opposite.  

There was a quote somewhere that he wasn't worried about Gunnar.

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Name a better duo than the Orioles and downplaying injuries 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

We'll see in a few weeks but I can with orange-tinted glasses consider the Gunnar one a little so the paying customers don't get too upset when they flock to Sarasota, and Livan Soto and Anthony Servideo are doing the Ripken things.

Especially if Gunnar is settled in the eyes of the organization as the SS not 3B, its a known known the shortstop's joints carry the heaviest load day in day out.

6 weeks from today is Opening Day.

Elias' early expectation setting 2B Holliday comments now have a little different flavor.    I hope Weeks 1-3 they stick with that - I think I'll actually be more worried about Gunnar if next week Holliday is suddenly getting a big share of SS reps.

It would be very You Can't Predict Baseball if Elias opts for guaranteed 2030 Holliday and Gunnar's thing is more substantial, and we get a Urias-Mateo infield on Opening Day.

22 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

We'll see in a few weeks but I can with orange-tinted glasses consider the Gunnar one a little so the paying customers don't get too upset when they flock to Sarasota, and Livan Soto and Anthony Servideo are doing the Ripken things.

Especially if Gunnar is settled in the eyes of the organization as the SS not 3B, its a known known the shortstop's joints carry the heaviest load day in day out.

6 weeks from today is Opening Day.

Elias' early expectation setting 2B Holliday comments now have a little different flavor.    I hope Weeks 1-3 they stick with that - I think I'll actually be more worried about Gunnar if next week Holliday is suddenly getting a big share of SS reps.

It would be very You Can't Predict Baseball if Elias opts for guaranteed 2030 Holliday and Gunnar's thing is more substantial, and we get a Urias-Mateo infield on Opening Day.

Fingers crossed.  I'm hoping for the best, for sure.  If he's completely shut down so that he can heal, he is going to need a 4-6 week throwing program once the injury is 100% healed.  If he gets back and able to start training in 2 weeks, an expedited 4-week program gets him in the starting lineup right in time for opening day and likely limited play for the first couple of weeks until he is 100%.  If they take the more conservative route, let him heal for 3 weeks (or more), and then he goes on a full 6 week build up that has him back to 100% 3 weeks after opening day.  It will be interesting to see how it works out.  

Edited by emmett16

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I wonder what happened to reporters who cover the team. I would think they would have sources and not wait until the team decides it's OK to report news.

I don't think it works like that when those reporters are getting their paychecks by the owners of the Orioles. (MASN)

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't think it works like that when those reporters are getting their paychecks by the owners of the Orioles. (MASN)

Those aren't reporters. I mean newspapers. Doesn't the Sun have people actually covering the Orioles anymore.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

My only issue with it is that Elias let the entire fanbase think the team was finally being proactive for a brief moment when they pulled off the Burnes trade when the reality of the situation was that it was a reactive/defense move.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

My only issue with it is that Elias let the entire fanbase think the team was finally being proactive for a brief moment when they pulled off the Burnes trade when the reality of the situation was that it was a reactive/defense move.

I don’t see it that way.  It’s pretty clear that the O’s had pursued Burnes early in the offseason but the Brewers hadn’t made up their minds about putting him on the market.  When the Brewers decided to put him on the market, the O’s chased him.