Now, I want you to remember....

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

I'm honestly kind of amazed at the continued Adam Frazier talk... 

He was the exact template of the One Season Placeholder Player™:  Filling in for a single year until another player (usually a AAA future-starter-guy wrapping up his minor league development) is ready to go the next season.  He's hired in the hope that he be league-averagey (or hopefully a little better) during his sole season with the team... he often falls short, though sometimes he kind of makes it.  Afterward, the transaction is complete. He signs with another team, and we never see him again outside the handful of times a year we play his new team.  

I'm not sure why the fascination endures.  We have at least one of these guys on the roster every single season, including this one (I'm looking at you, Craig Kimbrel).  He should be a wispy ghost of a memory now, yet we'll still be talking about him off and on for years to come.   🤷‍♂️

Well Frazier blocked two mlb ready players is a big reason for the dislike.

Once he showed his range was horrible, he probably should have lost a lot more PT. Westburg looked amazing at 2B in comparison.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m very happy to have the extra year of Westburg in 2029 in exchange for the time he missed in 2023 due to Frazier being on the team.  

Could Westburg win ROY this year and get us a pick while still keeping the extra year of service time? From the things I’ve read, they get a full year of service time the year they win the award, but Westburg would be getting a full year of service time this year anyway. 

4 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Could Westburg win ROY this year and get us a pick while still keeping the extra year of service time? From the things I’ve read, they get a full year of service time the year they win the award, but Westburg would be getting a full year of service time this year anyway. 

No.  Westburg has exceeded rookie limits.   

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Yes the extra year of service is already baked in because he didn't play a full season last year.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No.  Westburg has exceeded rookie limits.   

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/could-jordan-westburg-be-an-early-2024-rookie-of-the-year-frontrunner-01h9ya15aexn

oh this article from September seems to think he still has eligibility. 

I just looked it up and you are right. He’s over the AB limit. When I saw that article I thought maybe we found a loophole. 

Edited by RarityFlaherty

3 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/could-jordan-westburg-be-an-early-2024-rookie-of-the-year-frontrunner-01h9ya15aexn

oh this article from September seems to think he still has eligibility. 

Wow, that’s just terribly sloppy by the author.  

To be eligible for Rookie of the Year, you have to go into the season with both (1) less than 45 days of service time and (2) fewer than 130 at bats.  Westburg had 98 days of service and 208 at bats.  He’s not even close to qualifying for rookie status.   

I guess I’ll never waste my time reading that website.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, that’s just terribly sloppy by the author.  

To be eligible for Rookie of the Year, you have to go into the season with both (1) less than 45 days of service time and (2) fewer than 130 at bats.  Westburg had 98 days of service and 208 at bats.  He’s not even close to qualifying for rookie status.   

I guess I’ll never waste my time reading that website.

I wonder how much this Joshua Davis is making per article. I’m sure most of you guys on here could do a much better job. 

I guess I didn't realize there was so much blowback with Frazier last year. I understand some of the vitriol, but I think he helped just enough to be that extra veteran gap filler last year and I'm glad the younger guys get more opportunities this season.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Tbone83 said:

I didn't and don't understand the Frazier hate here. Coming into last year I just saw him as a guy to hold things down till the younger guys came up, and to be decent. Was he an all star or a O'Hearn-like surprise? No, but I think he was fine, and had several huge clutch hits as well. Did he ever make me want to throw my remote through the TV like Baker? No. Was he Mateo-trying-to-bunt bad? Nah. If I have to look for negatives in an overwhelmingly positive season, I don't think AF would make my top 50.

Yeah, I disagreed with signing him as much as everyone else, but the vitriol directed at him seemed kind of over the top.   Almost Lew Ford / Colby Rasmus / Cito Gaston level hatred.

He would get a game winning hit and people would almost have to begrudgingly give him credit, sort of like "Well, at least Mussolini made the trains run on time".

30 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, I disagreed with signing him as much as everyone else, but the vitriol directed at him seemed kind of over the top.   Almost Lew Ford / Colby Rasmus / Cito Gaston level hatred.

He would get a game winning hit and people would almost have to begrudgingly give him credit, sort of like "Well, at least Mussolini made the trains run on time".

Lew Ford hatred? That was a concoction of OH, wasn't it?

Frazier, Ford - cars aren't they? How many of you remember the Frazier? Frazier went bye bye but Ford is still around. And, I have absolutely no idea why I typed this other than Frazier and Ford in the same thread must have done something to what is left of my mind. Going to take a nap.