Mayo to play first and third this spring..preparing for RF

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Clear is debatable?  But your starting infield could theoretically be 1B Mountcastle/O'Hearn, 2B Westburg, SS Henderson, and 3B Mayo.  The 1B and DH also gives Mayo some flexibility to get starts there.  Under this scenario, Urias is my utility infielder and Mateo is backing up CF and SS but primarily used as a pinch runner and late defensive replacement. 

The challenge then could then be finding a spot for Kjerstad. 

Also have to consider that not every position player projected for the big league roster will be healthy on OD. 

With Holliday as a defensive replacement?

Just now, Aristotelian said:

With Holliday as a defensive replacement?

Holliday and Mayo likely don't both break with the team without some trades occurring.  The scenario I presented has Holliday (the younger, less experienced prospect) starting in Norfolk.  

Don't think it's that much of a reach. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/orioles-spring-training-notes-on-means-wells-vavra-mayo-and-o-hearn

No one in this organization has a better attitude than Mayo. I can’t wait for him to be a full time MLer.

I find it interesting that both BA’s Roboscout and ZiPS put Mayo sky-high on their prospect lists.   These are data-driven systems not at all based on eyewitness scouting.  Roboscout ranks Mayo 1st, while ZiPS ranks him 7th (and two of the players ahead of him are Japanese professionals).   It was also interesting that ZiPS projects Mayo to “contribute above-average defense at third.”   I’d love to know what data leads to that conclusion.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I find it interesting that both BA’s Roboscout and ZiPS put Mayo sky-high on their prospect lists.   These are data-driven systems not at all based on eyewitness scouting.  Roboscout ranks Mayo 1st, while ZiPS ranks him 7th (and two of the players ahead of him are Japanese professionals).   It was also interesting that ZiPS projects Mayo to “contribute above-average defense at third.”   I’d love to know what data leads to that conclusion.  

Interesting. Well, the Orioles seem to agree (for now, at least) about him sticking at third. That would be huge if he not only sticks but ends up being a plus defender over there. Still feels like a longshot to me, but crazier things have happened. 

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Holliday and Mayo likely don't both break with the team without some trades occurring.  The scenario I presented has Holliday (the younger, less experienced prospect) starting in Norfolk.  

Don't think it's that much of a reach. 

Ah, I wasn't clear you were talking about opening day. I doubt either one makes the opening day roster. But, I think Holliday has a better chance due to being a lefty bat.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His batted ball data is off the charts I believe.

He takes a lot of walks and he cut back on his Ks and started to post a higher BA last year (BA has gone from vastly overrated to vastly underrated).

Im not surprised that data drives his status higher than eyes do.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Curious to see his range in RF.  Not worried about the arm, apparently he has a cannon

At least for Camden Yards, I feel like range in RF is a little overrated compared to just getting good jumps and playing the scoreboard smartly. I like Santander's defense out there even though he sorta drags an achor. He's pretty efficient. Markakis didn't have great range/speed. 

Part of the reason why I'm not really worried about Kjerstad's defense (I know we're talking about Mayo lol). I think he'll do just fine. Unless he's Jay Gibbons. Don't be Jay Gibbons, Heston. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His batted ball data is off the charts I believe.

He takes a lot of walks and he cut back on his Ks and started to post a higher BA last year (BA has gone from vastly overrated to vastly underrated).

Im not surprised that data drives his status higher than eyes do.

His batting stance and swing are both a bit unorthodox.  As Fangraphs describes it:

He executes a pull-and-lift approach geared for crushing mistakes in the upper two thirds of the strike zone, and Mayo has succeeded with this approach all the way up the minor league ladder despite his sometimes ugly looking cut, which has a strange, choppy stride. If most hitters’ strides back toward the pitcher are “outies,” Mayo’s is an “inny” — his front foot often lands closer to his rear foot than where it began in his batting stance. All of his swing’s components fire in a short period of time, and it’s an odd look, but it works for him. He does, however, swing inside a lot of sliders, even ones that don’t completely turn the corner. Mayo’s strikeouts will likely climb against big league pitchers who can exploit this, at least initially, but he’s going to get to such big power that it probably won’t matter.

I like how the Os are handling spring reps for Mayo at 3B and working with infield coaching staff.  Allows team to internally assess Mayo’s viability at 3B.  And maybe just as importantly, allows staff to get more reads on Kjerstad as viable RF.  

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Why would he be part of a deal to get Cease or Luzardo?

I don't know, I'm not proposing a specific deal.   But chances are we would have to give up several young controllable players to get either of those guys, and he is one of our young controllable players.

• Upvote 1