Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Orioles have been a top 5 worst team in sports the last 25 years. Part of that is a series of scandals and other unsavory things like the Albert Belle mess, the Palmerio/Tejada PED debacle, the suicide of a longtime pitcher/announcer/GM, a laughingstock owner for 30 years, the Chris Davis contract trainwreck, and on and on. Finally after decades we have a World Series contending team and an unbelievably fun and cohesive group of players, coaches, and front office. But for some reason a few people want to drop a media circus and PR nightmare into the middle of that and potentially create yet another reason to call the Baltimore Orioles a chaotic mess. All for the 13th-best pitcher in the Japanese Central League in '23.

All that true I would still spin the wheel........sign him for league minimum with bonuses for achievable levels.....and you cut him if he does one thing you cant stand.  

He probably is at least a 3.50 era pitcher.  I would take the risk.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gurgi said:

All that true I would still spin the wheel........sign him for league minimum with bonuses for achievable levels.....and you cut him if he does one thing you cant stand.  

He probably is at least a 3.50 era pitcher.  I would take the risk.  

Sign him and then cut him when the inevitable media circus and his inability to not publicly say dumb things happens? Then why sign him at all.

Also, his real, actual MLB ERA, mostly from his 20s, is 3.79. I don't see any reasonable way to say "he probably is at least a 3.50 ERA pitcher". You know how many full seasons he's had with an ERA+ of 130 or better? One. In 2020 he had a great 73 innings. In 2018 he finished 6th in the Cy Young. In '21 he was really good for 107 innings. Besides that? Five years of mid-4.00s ERAs and 175-200 innings.

Fangraphs lists four different 2024 projections for Bauer, with ERAs between 3.93 and 4.63.

Last year he had a 114 ERA+ in a AAAA league.

• Upvote 1

I would be willing to take a chance on him especially if it saves us from having to trade prospects.   You think there are more than a handful of fans that would boycott games because of bring this guy in?  They really are not.  If we win the fans forgive.   Remember Ray Lewis?  He obviously knew a lot more about a murder that he did not reveal and everyone gave him a pass because why?  He won. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I would be willing to take a chance on him especially if it saves us from having to trade prospects.   You think there are more than a handful of fans that would boycott games because of bring this guy in?  They really are not.  If we win the fans forgive.   Remember Ray Lewis?  He obviously knew a lot more about a murder that he did not reveal and everyone gave him a pass because why?  He won. 

At least Ray Lewis was a team leader. Among the many reasons not to like Bauer, I don't like the way he showed up his teammates in Japan. Hard to quantify but I don't like the idea of known toxic dudes around our group.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Yeah I missed that part. I wish the 90s was only 25 years ago. 

A definite sign of getting older is when you feel like something happened 15-20 years ago and it turns out to be 30-40 years ago.   Happens to me all the time.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Frobby said:

A definite sign of getting older is when you feel like something happened 15-20 years ago and it turns out to be 30-40 years ago.   Happens to me all the time.   

Oh man, Im not old enough to say that. I’m not even 40 yet lol. My 20 year high school reunion is this year, but the 90s still feels like 25 years ago.