If we had a time machine and went back to 1927 would our 2024 Orioles dominate the 27 Yankees?

Gurgi

I feel all the modern knowledge on how to spin the ball and how to throw at high velocity would over power the Yankees.   They used very heavy bats and would not do well with modern fastballs being 94 mph.  I imagine if Ruth and Gerigh figured out and used a light bat they would likely be very dangerous.   

But over all they played when 90mph was blazing fast.  Most of their guys wouldnt hit our pitching. 

Then bringing in the bullpen in the sixth inning and going with four guys throwing high ninties....would destroy their batting chances.  We would shut them down.

Then the lack of chew and less smoking and alcohol  of the modern game.  I think we would win 115 games a year in 1927.

I respect the old guys....but the game has 100 years of development.  The 2024 team would destroy the 1927 Yankees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think yes. Corbin Burnes' or Grayson Rodriguez's stuff would be like a supernatural encounter to those guys. Maybe even Bryan Baker's.

That said, Ruth might be on "will he hit the warehouse" watch.

And talk about a different era— the '27 Yankees used 10 pitchers. TOTAL. 

Edited by Spy Fox

I read a really thoughtful essay on this kind of thing some time back. It's so hard to say. The '27 Yanks (shifted to 2024) would likely adjust quickly. And in the offseason, hit the weights and have modern trainers and access to their analytic team's strategies. 

It's easy to say the players from the 1920s would not be as strong or as fast as today's players, but they simply played better than their competition of their time. Whether it was a whole lot better or just a little better, or just enough to win, I can't say. If they played someone better on a regular basis, they'd get even better themselves. 

Edited by NashLumber
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I read a really thoughtful essay on this kind of thing some time back. It's so hard to say. The '27 Yanks (shifted to 2024) would likely adjust quickly. And in the offseason, hit the weights and have modern trainers and access to their analytic team's strategies. 

It's easy to say the players from the 1920s would not be as strong or as fast as today's players, but they simply played better than their competition of their time. Whether it was a whole lot better or just a little better, or just enough to win, I can't say. If they played someone better on a regular basis, they'd get even better themselves. 

They would get murdered.  Team depth would decimate them. Guys like Gehrig and Ruth would be able to adjust some, but they would still struggle mightily.  

The one thing I do think is a bit overrated is velocity.  I don’t see any particular reason that guys from that time couldn’t throw hard.  We know of ways to help increase velocity, but for the most part the top velocity hasn’t really changed that much. It isn’t like guys are throwing 110 mph.  Velocity seems to mostly be genetics combined with practice throwing.  Older guys had that.  They could adjust.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

They would get murdered.  Team depth would decimate them. Guys like Gehrig and Ruth would be able to adjust some, but they would still struggle mightily.  

The one thing I do think is a bit overrated is velocity.  I don’t see any particular reason that guys from that time couldn’t throw hard.  We know of ways to help increase velocity, but for the most part the top velocity hasn’t really changed that much. It isn’t like guys are throwing 110 mph.  Velocity seems to mostly be genetics combined with practice throwing.  Older guys had that.  They could adjust.

Guys could run really fast back in the old days too.

The best time Jesse Owens ever ran in the 100 meter dash was 10.2 seconds. He set this world record on May 25, 1935 at the Big Ten track meet at Ferry Field in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.

Carl Lewis

At age 30, he had one of his greatest achievements, breaking the world 100m record with a time of 9.86 while winning the event at the 1991 World Championships. At that same meet, he had one of his greatest disappointments, losing his long jump streak of 65 consecutive victories to Mike Powell.

Bolt's record of 9.58 seconds, set in 2009, is considered by many to be one of the greatest athletic achievements in history

All teams time warp to 1976, but managers don't get to go.    We're going to let Billy Martin and Earl Weaver settle this.

Jeter can bring his '98 Yankees, and Jackie can bring his '55 Dodgers.    '83 Orioles round out the field.

Brooks and Frank can't miss this, so each Club can get one extra franchise icon.

Let's put Brooks on the '24 Orioles, Frank on the '83 Orioles, Ohtani on the '55 Dodgers, Mantle on the '27 Yankees, and DiMaggio on the '98 Yankees.

Jim Palmer reserved to do the color commentary.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Guys could run really fast back in the old days too.

The best time Jesse Owens ever ran in the 100 meter dash was 10.2 seconds. He set this world record on May 25, 1935 at the Big Ten track meet at Ferry Field in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.

Carl Lewis

At age 30, he had one of his greatest achievements, breaking the world 100m record with a time of 9.86 while winning the event at the 1991 World Championships. At that same meet, he had one of his greatest disappointments, losing his long jump streak of 65 consecutive victories to Mike Powell.

Bolt's record of 9.58 seconds, set in 2009, is considered by many to be one of the greatest athletic achievements in history

No, Bob Beamon’s long jump  eclipses that, even though that record was broken many years later by Carl Powell.  To this date, the greatest sporting achievement that I ever saw on TV. I recall seeing that jump live on TV in 1868 and thinking to myself, Wow, that looks super long. I was right.

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

No, Bob Beamon’s long jump  eclipses that, even though that record was broken many years later by Carl Powell.  To this date, the greatest sporting achievement that I ever saw on TV. I recall seeing that jump live on TV in 1868 and thinking to myself, Wow, that looks super long. I was right.

Cool.  At altitude!  lol

1968, I hope.

Each generation, in general, athletes get, bigger, stronger, and faster.   That doesn’t diminish the athletes who were the best of their time.

• Upvote 1

I guess that depends on if you believe evolution is a crock or not?  

Every generation is a little better.  The ‘27 Yankees would get smoked by the 2023 Oakland A’s and it wouldn’t be close.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I guess that depends on if you believe evolution is a crock or not?  

Every generation is a little better.  The ‘27 Yankees would get smoked by the 2023 Oakland A’s and it wouldn’t be close.  

I'm not sure they could beat a good college team.

7 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I feel all the modern knowledge on how to spin the ball and how to throw at high velocity would over power the Yankees.   They used very heavy bats and would not do well with modern fastballs being 94 mph.  I imagine if Ruth and Gerigh figured out and used a light bat they would likely be very dangerous.   

But over all they played when 90mph was blazing fast.  Most of their guys wouldnt hit our pitching. 

Then bringing in the bullpen in the sixth inning and going with four guys throwing high ninties....would destroy their batting chances.  We would shut them down.

Then the lack of chew and less smoking and alcohol  of the modern game.  I think we would win 115 games a year in 1927.

I respect the old guys....but the game has 100 years of development.  The 2024 team would destroy the 1927 Yankees.

Only one man could pull off a post like this. 

When I saw the title, I didn't even need to flinch to see who posted it. 

Gurgi. Legend.

By the way, don't try and BS us into thinking you DON'T have a time machine. You most certainly have a time machine. It is a time machine of magnificent repute, at that. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Let's put Brooks on the '24 Orioles, Frank on the '83 Orioles

On second thought, switch these.

The 1983 Orioles used replacement level filler at 3B early, and the 2024 Orioles might start James McCann at DH against a LHP.