Oriole’s Chemistry; A strategic and quantifiable advantage?

emmett16

I don't see how chemistry is remotely quantifiable. I'm sure when the team is winning everyone's happy and gets along better and when they're losing players are unhappy. I think people have cause and effect exactly backwards when they say chemistry helps a team win.

And even if chemistry leads to better on field performance how do you begin to tease that out? If a player hits 20 home runs one year, how many of those were because of "chemistry?" Maybe some of them were, but how do you ever figure that out?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I don't see how chemistry is remotely quantifiable. I'm sure when the team is winning everyone's happy and gets along better and when they're losing players are unhappy. I think people have cause and effect exactly backwards when they say chemistry helps a team win.

And even if chemistry leads to better on field performance how do you begin to tease that out? If a player hits 20 home runs one year, how many of those were because of "chemistry?" Maybe some of them were, but how do you ever figure that out?

That's the beauty of it, you don't. Time for the nerds to take a nap.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

That's the beauty of it, you don't. Time for the nerds to take a nap.

You've said it's real and strategic but not quantifiable. That's practically word salad. Doesn't seem like I'm the one who needs a nap.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

You've said it's real and strategic but not quantifiable. That's practically word salad. Doesn't seem like I'm the one who needs a nap.

All I was saying is that you can't put a number on it. Not that complicated and certainly not a "word salad". 

7 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Maybe.  Can chemistry break or enhance a cycle?  Can chemistry enhance or harm individual character?

On 3/9/2024 at 12:44 PM, forphase1 said:

I'll be the contrary one here.  I think things like chemistry and veteranosity is over blown.   Do you REALLY hit the ball better because your buddy is on deck?  Or did you just barely miss that homerun because you really didn't like the guy on second base and didn't want to drive him in?  Or I could throw harder and more accurately if I only liked the catcher a bit more?  

Now if you are talking trust,  that's more a function  of talent.  For example, a pitcher may be willing to bury a ball in the dirt, knowing their catcher will block it,  and therefore be more willing to throw certain pitches.   But that's a process of the talent of the catcher,  not because they are good friends or Lego building buddies.  Same for DP combinations and throws to 1st, etc.

In general sure,  we all like a better, more enjoyable work environment.  And that can be a factor in signing free agents in some cases,  though of course $$$ is the key factor.   But as far as actually having a real positive impact on WAR or performance I believe the impact to be negligible.  Winning cures most issues, while losing magnifies them.  

Again,  I enjoy the stories about them all being buddies,  all the homerun hose stuff,  etc.  It's great to see them growing up together, developing friendships and bonds, etc.  But I question the onfield impact of any of that positivity, if any. 

What I believe is that if you (as a player) have less things to worry about, less conflict, and less stress outside of the game, you're more likely to be able to focus on getting better at your skill drills and everything else that goes into improving your ability to be a better athlete as a baseball player. Which in turn will allow you to "hit that ball" better.

And that all starts will being able to focus, which begins with being stress free and having nothing else to worry about. That is a whole lot easier if you like the group you're with than it is if you're always arguing and in conflict with teammates that you hate/don't respect.

Chemistry matters.  Just watch the movie Major League for proof.

Kidding aside, we have a team full of great guys that have fantastic chemistry.  Although it can't be quantified into number of wins, it sure does make following them more enjoyable for fans (as if winning isn't enough).