Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

So... Adley had a month where he played like a typical catcher.

Fun fact, during his initial slump, his BABIP was .254 and both his hard hit% and average EV was higher than his full season stats.  So we had some data that suggested he might be hitting into bad luck.  On top of that he was coming off injury and missed most of spring training, so we had reason to expect him to start off slowly.

Gunnar already had 5 weeks under his belt when he was playing really well by the time he had his April slump last year.

Alright. We'll just keep going around and around on this. So, we can agree to disagree.

They all go through adjustment periods. Some are long, some are short. Some are at different times than others, but most go through them and that's the part I think Moose was saying people forget.

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Alright. We'll just keep going around and around on this. So, we can agree to disagree.

They all go through adjustment periods. Some are long, some are short. Some are at different times than others, but most go through them and that's the part I think Moose was saying people forget.

I’ve shown you my evidence about the top 20 position players who debuted in 2017.   Where’s your evidence?  Some have an adjustment period, some really don’t, some turn out to be nowhere near as good as people thought.  That probably happens most of all.  Call it Jarred Kelenic syndrome.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve shown you my evidence about the top 20 position players who debuted in 2017.   Where’s your evidence?  Some have an adjustment period, some really don’t, some turn out to be nowhere near as good as people thought.  That probably happens most of all.  Call it Jarred Kelenic syndrome.  

My evidence is Adley and Gunnar because that's who was being talked about for the most part. I guess you could say when I say 'most' it's based on my own recollection without looking at the data that you did. I'm okay with being wrong.

With Adley and Gunnar it is easy to forget that they had these periods because how they turned out in the end. My point was, is that people forget those periods because of how things ended.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

My evidence is Adley and Gunnar because that's who was being talked about for the most part. I guess you could say when I say 'most' it's based on my own recollection without looking at the data that you did. I'm okay with being wrong.

With Adley and Gunnar it is easy to forget that they had these periods because how they turned out in the end. My point was, is that people forget those periods because of how things ended.

While Adley is a valid data point, he had extenuating circumstances, and I still think Gunnar doesn't really qualify.  If you shifted Gunnar's stats from August/September 2022 to April 2023 and shifted the rest of his stats forward, then his slump would look like any old midseason slump.  A lot of players go through months where they OPS less than .700.  A lot of starters, especially shortstops struggle to have months where they OPS more than .700.  It doesn't seem noteworthy or indicative of rookie lumps.  If you combine his September 2022 stats with his April 2023 stats he was still an above-average hitter playing good defense at a premium defensive position.  Even during his slump, he was an overall average-player because of his position and defense, and he was 21.  A guy who I would more associate with rookie lumps would be Anthony Volpe; Gunnar's wRC+ in April was better than Volpe's full-season wRC+.

Edited by Hallas

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I wasn't even thinking of you, you little piece of nothingness.  You're insignificant on this board.  Nobody thinks about you or cares what you have to say.

I was referring to Sports Guys little laughing emoticon on the OP, which is passive aggressive, and I thought funny, because the OP was objectively accurate.

GFY.

Please don't speak for me. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm okay with that. Spleen is okay in my book.

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

The sarcastic laughing emoji on anything you disagree with does get old SG. Just sayin. 

The funny part is the laugh emoji actually gives the person + rep! 🤣

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

The sarcastic laughing emoji on anything you disagree with does get old SG. Just sayin. 

You say this as if I care.

Theres no, wtf is wrong with you emoji and quite frankly, the posts do make me laugh. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I get it.  It's annoying.

People are just excited, understandably so.  Patience, IMO, is at an all-time low on here.  It's weird, it's like when this team was winning, like, 50 or 60 games a few years back, there was more patience...people knew that they were in it for the long haul.  Most understood what Elias was doing and that it was going to take time.

Right now it seems like people are on edge because we're contenders.  As such, if someone like Mayo were to come up and struggle, I think people would be quick to want to send him down.

It's also backup QB syndrome.  Most popular player on an NFL team sometimes is the backup QB.

I think the NYY playing at nearly a .700 clip and riding a 7 game win streak has skewed the perception about the O's team so far. Cleveland and KC are the only other AL teams above .600. Things would look a lot different if the O's were 5 games up right now. It is similar to last year and the start that the Rays had.

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wasn't even taking a shot at SG. I was speaking TO the person I quoted,  and nobody else (imagine that), and saying I agree with you, and don't think that response was appropriate because you're right.

Serves me right for agreeing with someone.  I'll never make that mistake again. I'd hate that to seem passive aggressive to someone I don't even know exists. 

36 minutes ago, Malike said:

Please don't speak for me. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm okay with that. Spleen is okay in my book.

Thanks. I appreciate the support.

I should have put them on ignore when they were pulling their schtick with Moose last week. That was remedied today.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

Thanks. I appreciate the support.

I should have put them on ignore when they were pulling their schtick with Moose last week. That was remedied today.

Terrific.  So my board experience will stay the same then and you'll continue to be a non-entity in my world.

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

Kind of hard to learn that lesson when we have 2 straight #1 prospects and both of them end up playing like all-stars, lol.

Neither of them were that when they first arrived. They had to learn/adjust/grow/figure out what works for them at the highest level.