Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, ledzepp8 said:

Perhaps people shouldn't get personal with you, but you do bring it on yourself. You say outlandish things, presumably to troll, get called on them and then double, triple, quadruple, etc down until people take shots at you.

The thing that a lot of you guys need to understand is.....

It doesn't matter.

I don't care what anyone on an internet message board thinks of me.  I have lived my life that way and you can't imagine how freeing that mindset is.  I post on a Colts board, some stock trading boards, and some political boards and everyone is the same as I see people on here. 

In other words people LIE about everything.  And people say things on a message board that they would never say face to face with someone.   Which imo is a major problem with social media. 

The only people I care about as far as who has opinions of me is mainly my family, and to a lesser extent my friends.

That is the difference.  I don't lie.  I may not be right but I never lie.  What is the point?  People may think I exaggerate or outright lie on here for 'internet points'.....but nothing could be further from the truth.  I just say things based on my life experiences. 

And I try to never get personal.  I am not perfect in that regard but take for example the amount of vitriol I have thrown at me on this board alone, and I never really retort.   It just isn't worth it.

I came to this board to talk O's baseball with fellow O's baseball fans.  And to have fun.  Some here take it way too seriously. 

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

Pablo Sandoval was pretty good for a five or six year stretch. Prince Fielder was a fat slob as was his dad. John Kruk was not  remotely athletic and had a good career. Surprisingly, Andruw Jones was not what I would consider an elite athlete but is probably the best defensive centerfielder of the last 30 years. No, being an elite athlete is not required to be a good baseball player. 

Prince Fielder did one thing well.  Hit dingers.  That is IT. 

Which is why as soon as he stopped doing that? He was out.

But if you can find your niche doing something?  You can do well for a time. 

He was in no way an athlete or a generational player.

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Better athlete than JH.  Not as good of a baseball player as far as smarts.   We shall see.

I'm curious as to how people who get paid tons of money to evaluate talent all say that Holliday is an elite athlete, 5 tool guy and some rando on a message board says, "he's not elite bruh" and when people push back you act like someone slapped your mother. Sorry, your opinion is just that, your opinion and you're basically the only person who thinks you are right out of every professional who is paid to evaluate this stuff.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Prince Fielder did one thing well.  Hit dingers.  That is IT. 

Which is why as soon as he stopped doing that? He was out.

But if you can find your niche doing something?  You can do well for a time. 

He was in no way an athlete or a generational player.

His career OBP was .382.  His OBP was 99 points higher than his batting average. 

That's elite.  (It's also within a point of Gunnar's OBP this season)

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he doesn’t struggle in the MLB earlier this year…is never called up, still in the minors, do you think you’d still feel the same?

Based on how he is playing so far in AAA?   Yes.  He hasn't exactly been tearing it up.  As far as his time here with the Os?

I will give you 3 specific examples of why I now have this opinion.

1.  The very first difficult play I saw that he needed to make.  A pop up into shallow center that he ran out for and called others off?  He looked like a player who has no athletic ability at all.  He stumbled and bumbled and fumbled it all to hell.  Manny he was not. 

2.  His yips throwing to first base from 20 feet away.  As a 20 year old.....that is unheard of.  That is something a 34 year old war horse vet does who suddenly lost confidence.   Or a golfer.  Not a cocky brash 20 year old.  Watch Gunnar throw.  He slings it. From any position.  Why?  He is super confident in his athletic ability to make the play.  JH looked like he has no confidence whatsoever. 

3.  He stepps towards first base and away from almost every pitch he faced in the majors.  You know who does that?  Players who are scared.  Not confident.  Players who have no idea what they are doing.   He swung and missed, and I don't mean just missed but 10/10 misses...so many times I lost count.  He honestly looked like a little kid playing against grown men.

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The thing that a lot of you guys need to understand is.....

It doesn't matter.

I don't care what anyone on an internet message board thinks of me.  I have lived my life that way and you can't imagine how freeing that mindset is.  I post on a Colts board, some stock trading boards, and some political boards and everyone is the same as I see people on here. 

In other words people LIE about everything.  And people say things on a message board that they would never say face to face with someone.   Which imo is a major problem with social media. 

The only people I care about as far as who has opinions of me is mainly my family, and to a lesser extent my friends.

That is the difference.  I don't lie.  I may not be right but I never lie.  What is the point?  People may think I exaggerate or outright lie on here for 'internet points'.....but nothing could be further from the truth.  I just say things based on my life experiences. 

And I try to never get personal.  I am not perfect in that regard but take for example the amount of vitriol I have thrown at me on this board alone, and I never really retort.   It just isn't worth it.

I came to this board to talk O's baseball with fellow O's baseball fans.  And to have fun.  Some here take it way too seriously. 

Did you stop posting on the Weightlifting boards?

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm curious as to how people who get paid tons of money to evaluate talent all say that Holliday is an elite athlete, 5 tool guy and some rando on a message board says, "he's not elite bruh" and when people push back you act like someone slapped your mother. Sorry, your opinion is just that, your opinion and you're basically the only person who thinks you are right out of every professional who is paid to evaluate this stuff.

Well, we are on the message board of a baseball team that we like/love...to give our opinions and to talk sports.

So.....yeah. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I still don’t think people are grasping the idea that Holliday is only 20 years old. He isn’t close to physical maturity. He isn’t close to baseball maturity.

When gunnar was 20, he wasn’t nearly the offensive player Holliday is now and most people didn’t think he could stay at SS. 

Now he might be the best player in the sport and could be in for an all time season.

I don’t say that to say Holliday is going to do the same thing. I say it because there is a ton of development still in the tank for Holliday and he’s already really really good. 

I don't think many people don't understand that at all. The big difference was that we thought Gunnar might outgrow SS, but instead we've found out he's just an extraordinary athlete that for now, has no reason to move off SS.

Holliday, while he certainly can get stronger and grow into more man strength, which I think he will, is not the same physical specimen. He's a smallish kind of guy who doesn't have a lot of physical projection left.

I mean, it's not out of the question that Holliday could develop into a better hitter than Henderson OBP wise and average wise, but I doubt he's ever going to hit for the same power nor will he bring the same defensive value while he stays on the dirt.

Jackson is going to end up a very good MLB baseball player. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get this comparing Gunnar stuff. Ok, Gunnar is better athlete. So what?  Does that diminish Holliday?

And btw, Tony said Holliday isn’t at that level yet and would need development to get there. He didn’t say he’s not a great athlete.

Tony also didn’t think Henderson would be a SS as of a few years ago.  Things change as players train more, get bigger and stronger, etc…

Actually, I said that I thought Gunnar would grow off shortstop, not that he couldn't play there. He did develop into a much more consistent shortstop than I thought he would be. That was good development.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think many people don't understand that at all. The big difference was that we thought Gunnar might outgrow SS, but instead we've found out he's just an extraordinary athlete that for now, has no reason to move off SS.

Holliday, while he certainly can get stronger and grow into more man strength, which I think he will, is not the same physical specimen. He's a smallish kind of guy who doesn't have a lot of physical projection left.

I mean, it's not out of the question that Holliday could develop into a better hitter than Henderson OBP wise and average wise, but I doubt he's ever going to hit for the same power nor will he bring the same defensive value while he stays on the dirt.

That is exactly what I have said along.  Literally verbatim.

You just say it more eloquently. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Holliday could definitely become a 20-25 homer, 30-40 double, 5-10 triples guy imo.

He may not hit as many homers but he may end up with similar extra base hit stats.