Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Let’s face it, the kid is missing a lot of fastballs, mostly up in the zone, but some that were almost middle/middle too.

I agree his timing seems off.  That is why I was saying he might have a bit too much of a leg kick.  There are some who can get away with it in the majors, but others have had to adjust.  

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I agree his timing seems off.  That is why I was saying he might have a bit too much of a leg kick.  There are some who can get away with it in the majors, but others have had to adjust.  

I've never loved leg kicks when I see it in our prospects. Kjerstad in particular but he held his own with last year so who knows.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Everyone thinks he will figure it out and be fine

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah honestly for as much back and forth as there's been in this thread, I think like 98% of the OH agrees on this. 

Yeah. 

So let's read the room and stop talking about it.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sevastras said:

This is the same conversation we had last year about Gunner. People wanting to send him down, he’s not ready, etc. Yes he is struggling, but he is also not getting much to hit and the umpires have had an expanded strike zone on him for whatever reason. He needs to be more aggressive early, like Gunnar early last year, he is seeing too many pitches. When Gunnar got aggressive, he took off. 
He will figure it out and I’m sure there are hitting coaches and tape with advanced data he is going over things with. I’m sure the coaches are seeing the bad calls and are telling him not to get frustrated and stick to the process. I don’t know another 9 hitter that has been beared down on like he has been. He has really had some tough pitching and bad calls. 
He is going to be fine, just let him work through it. 

It’s not the same …. Henderson was batting just under .200. Holliday is batting .040. So about 20 % as good as Henderson was at his worst. And he’s striking out in more than 1 out of 2 trips to the plate.

There is no sense panicking either way. But, there is nothing wrong with sending him down. I think too many of you guys are acting like not sticking with him is some kind of sin. As a fan, I’m worried about damaging his confidence too much. 

Plus after all the bullshit from his father, hopefully now he will keep his mouth shut.

There is no question in my mind that the coaching staff and analytics staff is doing everything in their power to make sure that Holliday is as well prepared as possible before every game.  And he's been in few enough games at this point to where I wonder if there's enough data yet to start drawing up an effective strategy anyway.  Now that the decision has been made to bring him up, Holliday is owed a long enough window to show he can't make the adjustment even with the benefit of the best support.  If that means he has to be sent down, I'm not going to stress about it. 

I'm also not going to hold my breath that he'll turn the corner even so.  Adley made it, Gunnar made it, so did Westburg and Cowser and Mountcastle and Grayson...  If Holliday doesn't make it I'll be surprised and disappointed, but the Orioles under Elias are still way ahead of the game and Norby is looking for an opportunity and time marches on.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s not the same …. Henderson was batting just under .200. Holliday is batting .040. So about 20 % as good as Henderson was at his worst. And he’s striking out in more than 1 out of 2 trips to the plate.

There is no sense panicking either way. But, there is nothing wrong with sending him down. I think too many of you guys are acting like not sticking with him is some kind of sin. As a fan, I’m worried about damaging his confidence too much. 

Plus after all the bullshit from his father, hopefully now he will keep his mouth shut.

To be fair it’s such a small sample size, he could go 6 for his next 6 abs and be batting .225. I don’t think he should be sent back down unless he goes something like another another 1/25. At the very least, he seems to be having some more solid contact even without getting hits. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I just think it’s too soon to think about sending him down.  Two more weeks like this?  It definitely would be time.  But I’ll bet we don’t see two more weeks like this.