Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

45 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Statcast seems to only show 3 pitches to him so far that have been outside the zone but called strikes.

There have been a TON that are strikes but right on the edge and he's been given basically no leeway on them from umps. Not saying he should get leeway, just that over the course of a season, a lot of those are probably called balls. 

It's really been a perfect storm of some bad luck, some tough umps, really tough pitching with high-level stuff and command, and then some normal rookie chasing at times. He's late on a lot of things which to me means he's in between trying to figure out if he should be selective or let it rip. 

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder how much Interloper would charge me to have him follow me around and just explain away my mistakes and shortcomings to anyone/everyone.  

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just rent a teenager?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

There have been a TON that are strikes but right on the edge and he's been given basically no leeway on them from umps. Not saying he should get leeway, just that over the course of a season, a lot of those are probably called balls. 

It's really been a perfect storm of some bad luck, some tough umps, really tough pitching with high-level stuff and command, and then some normal rookie chasing at times. He's late on a lot of things which to me means he's in between trying to figure out if he should be selective or let it rip. 

Yes there have 16 out of 108 pitches that dotted the box and were called strikes.  Which is double the league rate.  5.9% of in-zone pitches (really one pitch) on the edge have been called balls vs nearly 20% for the league.

So opposing pitchers have been unusually effective in painting the corners against him and umpires haven’t helped.

• Thanks 2

I think he's going to be fine. I wonder how TEX fans feel about Leiter getting torched in his first big league start today? Rookies struggle, the good ones figure it out. I believe Holliday is a good one.

Edited by Malike