Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Thank you.  Not sure how easy for someone who may have been doing it for years and someone who’s been talented enough to make it work.   Someone posted a video of Freddie Freeman and Holliday to show similarities but, to me, it just showed how different their lead foot was.  Freeman’s was closed and perfectly in line and parallel to his back foot.  Hollidays foot pointed out and the foot towards 2B position.  I questioned it.  Other guys, who admittedly know more, said it was no problem.  Again, he might be able to become a HOF with those mechanics.  I’ve just never seen a good ML hitter hit that way.

From that early January thread

“I guess it depends on your definition of “step in the bucket”.  His stride foot definitely doesn’t go straight.  Pretty easy to see where his foot is in relation to the batters box and how much further away it is when it lands.  It doesn’t seem to affect him negatively though.  Interestingly enough, Freeman’s stride foot goes perfectly straight.”

Edited January 6 by RZNJ

I’m not sure how it resembles Freeman’s stride in any way.  He quickly picks his foot up while inwardly rotating his ankle and knee and then essentially drops it back in the same spot. Kind of like Mayo.  Much simpler. I do think that for a player of Jackson’s talent it would a pretty straightforward fix. Sure it may take some time. Also possible that it’s gotten more pronounced up here as he tries to sell out for some more power to make a splash. 

1 hour ago, joelala said:

I’m not sure how it resembles Freeman’s stride in any way.  He quickly picks his foot up while inwardly rotating his ankle and knee and then essentially drops it back in the same spot. Kind of like Mayo.  Much simpler. I do think that for a player of Jackson’s talent it would a pretty straightforward fix. Sure it may take some time. Also possible that it’s gotten more pronounced up here as he tries to sell out for some more power to make a splash. 

I and no one else that I know said anything about their strides being comparable.  Someone else noted some similarities in their swings, IIRC.   I pointed out the difference in their strides which again aligned with my belief that Holliday’s stride was unorthodox, at best.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I and no one else that I know said anything about their strides being comparable.  Someone else noted some similarities in their swings, IIRC.   I pointed out the difference in their strides which again aligned with my belief that Holliday’s stride was unorthodox, at best.

You’re right, I misread. But yes it is unorthodox at best lol.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Statcast also said Adley's exit velocity on a ball he ripped to left field last night in Game 2 was only 70 something MPH. Even @Frobby called BS on that.

You are comparing Statcast's reading on one ball to Statcast's data on every ball Jackson's hit?

A launch angle of 4.4 degrees is extremely low, that's Vlad Jr in 2020 low.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are comparing Statcast's reading on one ball to Statcast's data on every ball Jackson's hit?

A launch angle of 4.4 degrees is extremely low, that's Vlad Jr in 2020 low.

It was actually several plays in the game around the same time, but I digress. I'm simply saying they're prone to make mistakes. And if they make mistakes on data input, then it's difficult to trust all the data to base a conclusion on, as if the data was 100% completely accurate.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It was actually several plays in the game around the same time, but I digress. I'm simply saying they're prone to make mistakes. And if they make mistakes on data input, then it's difficult to trust all the data to base a conclusion on, as if the data was 100% completely accurate.

I think the Statcast data is way more reliable than the eye test it replaced.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't need statcast to tell me Griffey Jr. hit the ball hard with good launch angles, or that Randy Johnson had great extension and a high whiff rate. ;) 

54 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Hopefully Jackson reads this thread so he can figure things out.  He really needs to immediately abandon what’s been successful for him.  

Actually Jackson and I are DM'ing right now.  After we're done messaging, he's going to go straight to the cage and work on my suggestions about how to time his leg kick better.

Talented kid, just needs some guidance.

Edited by yark14
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Am I looking at this data wrong?

Statcast shows Jackson's Launch angle to be 4.4 degrees.

There’s a big difference between launch angle and attack angle. 

Launch angle is ball coming off bat (results of contact). Attack angle is angle of bat through zone.  

4.4 attack angle is good but slightly high.  4.4 launch angle is terrible result.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

There are issue with readings, just like everything else in life. It’s not perfect.  I’ve seen thousands of balls put in play using tech and can tell you that flat out there are mistakes. 

Maintenance, calibration, location of hardware all in play.  

Edited by emmett16