2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

23 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Benching Holiday tomorrow just because it’s a leftie would be total bull shit since he was sent down to work in hitting lefties 

He’s not going to play every single game.   Just most of the time.  When he gets days off, it will probably be against lefties.   I’d say if he doesn’t do much at the plate today, sitting him tomorrow wouldn’t be a criminal offense.  

I think we see close to the A-lineup today with the exception of Hays for Santander.

1. Gunnar - SS

2. Adley - DH

3. Cowser - LF

4. Mountcastle - 1B

5. O’Hearn - DH

6. Westburg - 3B

7. Mullins - CF

8. Hays - RF

9. Holliday - 2B

I think Cowser moves up in the order compared to the Boston lineups from Weds/Thurs. Only other option (if Tony sits) would be to put O’Hearn 3rd and Cowser 5th.

I think Santander sits for Hays. We’re six games into a 9 game stretch without an off-day and Santander has started every game so far (though he was DH Friday).  Hyde will want to get Hays going and he started to make some more solid contact yesterday. Tony also had negative run values against sinkers and cutters last year (Rea’s primary weapons). 

Finally, Hyde will like having Santander as a pinch-hit option - most likely for O’Hearn with a lefty reliever but also for any of the 6-9 spots with the right match-up in a high-leverage situation. The Brewers may opt against bringing in a lefty for O’Hearn with Tony as an option for us.

For the 5 lefties, Hyde will ensure that none of them are back-to-back except Holliday and Gunnar. It’s possible that Hays and Westburg could be flipped from the order above, but I think Hays bats 8th with his recent struggles.

• Upvote 1

Cowser batted 2nd on Friday.  Hays hit one ball hard yesterday.   When Santander hits them hard they go out.   We need this one today.  Like the fans, Hyde has a lot more confidence in Santander against a RHP than Hayes.

SS Henderson

C Rutschman

LF Cowser

RF Santander

DH O’Hearn

1B Mountcastle 

CF Mullins

3B Westburg

2B Holliday

11 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I think we see close to the A-lineup today with the exception of Hays for Santander.

1. Gunnar - SS

2. Adley - DH

3. Cowser - LF

4. Mountcastle - 1B

5. O’Hearn - DH

6. Westburg - 3B

7. Mullins - CF

8. Hays - RF

9. Holliday - 2B

I think Cowser moves up in the order compared to the Boston lineups from Weds/Thurs. Only other option (if Tony sits) would be to put O’Hearn 3rd and Cowser 5th.

I think Santander sits for Hays. We’re six games into a 9 game stretch without an off-day and Santander has started every game so far (though he was DH Friday).  Hyde will want to get Hays going and he started to make some more solid contact yesterday. Tony also had negative run values against sinkers and cutters last year (Rea’s primary weapons). 

Finally, Hyde will like having Santander as a pinch-hit option - most likely for O’Hearn with a lefty reliever but also for any of the 6-9 spots with the right match-up in a high-leverage situation. The Brewers may opt against bringing in a lefty for O’Hearn with Tony as an option for us.

For the 5 lefties, Hyde will ensure that none of them are back-to-back except Holliday and Gunnar. It’s possible that Hays and Westburg could be flipped from the order above, but I think Hays bats 8th with his recent struggles.

You nailed it yesterday and this looks good to me. I agree, they are not sticking a fork in Hays yet. He will be in "4th OF-plus" for a while yet if nothing else to rest guys. Look for Santander to pinch hit if O'Hearn comes up vs a LHP. One small change: Hyde seems to prefer Hays in LF when he's playing, especially at home.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser batted 2nd on Friday.  Hays hit one ball hard yesterday.   When Santander hits them hard they go out.   We need this one today.  Like the fans, Hyde has a lot more confidence in Santander against a RHP than Hayes.

SS Henderson

C Rutschman

LF Cowser

RF Santander

DH O’Hearn

1B Mountcastle 

CF Mullins

3B Westburg

2B Holliday

Westburg has an .897 OPS vs RHP and has been hitting the ball as hard as anyone on the team, even when the batting average wasn’t showing it.

It would be extremely disappointing to see him 8th in the lineup.

I think he and Gunnar should be in the 1/2 spots.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Westburg has an .897 OPS vs RHP and has been hitting the ball as hard as anyone on the team, even when the batting average wasn’t showing it.

It would be extremely disappointing to see him 8th in the lineup.

I think he and Gunnar should be in the 1/2 spots.

Yeah, Westburg probably won’t be 8th but I don’t think he’ll be higher than 6th either.  Trying to split up the RH and LH bats.  They haven’t shown signs of moving Santander down so that’s the best I could come up with.

9 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Our offense is just too streaky. It seems like all the players go on slumps or go on tears at once. We need just one or two consistent hitters. They don't have to be great, but just consistent. Maybe that will be Cowser. 

Cowser, consistently at .450 with a 1.300 OPS?   I’ll sign up for that?

17 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I want Hall to do well, but not today.  I he throws 6 1 hit innings, it makes the Burnes deal feel really bad.  I know 20/20 vision in reverse.

The Burnes trade has nothing to do with how Hall and Ortiz do.  If Burnes leads us to the World Series and a possible championship it is a win trade if we don’t make the playoffs or get knocked out early again it is a failed trade.  

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

He may not consistently be there, obviously, but maybe something effective for the team. 

Since every other hitter on the team has hot and cold streaks, good luck.  Cowser is in the middle of a hot streak now.  I just hope he doesn’t cool down too much anytime soon.

17 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Our offense is just too streaky. It seems like all the players go on slumps or go on tears at once. We need just one or two consistent hitters. They don't have to be great, but just consistent. Maybe that will be Cowser. 

So our offense is like every lineup there will be some guys hot and other guys cools and it will flip back and fourth.  There is so much analytics and video to studying film so pitchers change their approach to hot hitters and cold cold hitters change theirs as well.  There is a lot more adjusting and readjusting because of it with each at bat that it happens more then in the past.   The key is how fast you can adjust and then also if you can get the right guy up in a good situation with men on.  

27 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

All teams and players are somewhat streaky.  The Orioles are not exceptional in that regard.  

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

SS Henderson

C Rutschman

LF Cowser

RF Santander

DH O’Hearn

1B Mountcastle 

CF Mullins

3B Westburg

2B Holliday

Frankly, I think I did pretty good.   Cowser #6th instead of #3.  I got the order right besides that.

image.thumb.png.73c64e5eaf3fb5df4aa690a42d3cdf88.pngimage.thumb.png.3614ea33d315670f8546ee739c108a17.png 

Edited by RZNJ

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Frankly, I think I did pretty good.   Cowser #6th instead of #2.  I got the order right besides that.

image.thumb.png.3614ea33d315670f8546ee739c108a17.png

O'Hearn is having a decent and weird start to the season. He's getting on base but only 1 RBI is kinda weird. I'm sure it'll normalize though.