Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That would only be an extra $75 mill for 3 years.  For a pitcher like Burnes, I would take that risk (or would Rubenstein take that risk since it's his money).

If Rubenstein is willing to pay that far, then so be it . 

I haven’t seen this mentioned.   Cowser made a head first sliding catch coming in and went pretty far on his belly.   The normally stoic Burnes looked out to LF and had a chuckle and pretty wide grin on his face.   It was a nice moment, I thought.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Burnes fWAR standings over a few timeframes as he tries wrapping up the most impeccable resume since Gerrit to actually get to free agency.

2024: 17th

2023-2024: 10th

2022-2024: 8th

2021-2024: 2nd

I guess fair to say similar to Mullins, the huge 2021 three years back is keeping some of the bigger samples higher.

The finishing touch, like the bonus round of the HR Derby, will be the 2024 postseason.     Hopefully his best moments there are yet to come.

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Burnes fWAR standings over a few timeframes as he tries wrapping up the most impeccable resume since Gerrit to actually get to free agency.

2024: 17th

2023-2024: 10th

2022-2024: 8th

2021-2024: 2nd

I guess fair to say similar to Mullins, the huge 2021 three years back is keeping some of the bigger samples higher.

The finishing touch, like the bonus round of the HR Derby, will be the 2024 postseason.     Hopefully his best moments there are yet to come.

Everytime I see pitching fWAR I think of Kyle Gibson having a higher fWAR than Kyle Bradish through most of 2023.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Everytime I see pitching fWAR I think of Kyle Gibson having a higher fWAR than Kyle Bradish through most of 2023.

People say it's superior to rWAR but I just don't see it. I know there are good reasons to say that, but it never seems to match up with what our eyes tell us. rWAR I find matches up a lot more often. 

I agree rWAR is a valuable compare/contrast, but Fangraphs has outdone B-Ref making it easy to get flexible timeframes in a few clicks.

We've heard Sig and other Orioles leaders talk about liking xFIP, and they do stuff like win Shintaro Fujinami auctions against the market.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

People say it's superior to rWAR but I just don't see it. I know there are good reasons to say that, but it never seems to match up with what our eyes tell us. rWAR I find matches up a lot more often. 

I can see it for position players but not pitchers. 

To be fair, rWAR has some issues to for pitching, sometimes it overcompensates for bad defense. Best example is Aaron Nola's absurd 9.7 rWAR in 2018 because of the Phillies' horrible defense. Probably seeing that a little with Crochet's rWAR too.

rWAR's defense adjustment helps Erick Fedde and Tyler Anderson to be its 2nd and 3rd best pitchers in the AL at the All-Star break.

It is a counting stat and those guys are also helped being stalwarts for clubs just trying to complete the schedule, whereas on the BAL tier stuff like the objectively sensible move of parking Grayson Rodriguez for a couple weeks or a couple seasons here or there happens.