Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That would only be an extra $75 mill for 3 years.  For a pitcher like Burnes, I would take that risk (or would Rubenstein take that risk since it's his money).

If Rubenstein is willing to pay that far, then so be it . 

I haven’t seen this mentioned.   Cowser made a head first sliding catch coming in and went pretty far on his belly.   The normally stoic Burnes looked out to LF and had a chuckle and pretty wide grin on his face.   It was a nice moment, I thought.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Burnes fWAR standings over a few timeframes as he tries wrapping up the most impeccable resume since Gerrit to actually get to free agency.

2024: 17th

2023-2024: 10th

2022-2024: 8th

2021-2024: 2nd

I guess fair to say similar to Mullins, the huge 2021 three years back is keeping some of the bigger samples higher.

The finishing touch, like the bonus round of the HR Derby, will be the 2024 postseason.     Hopefully his best moments there are yet to come.

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Burnes fWAR standings over a few timeframes as he tries wrapping up the most impeccable resume since Gerrit to actually get to free agency.

2024: 17th

2023-2024: 10th

2022-2024: 8th

2021-2024: 2nd

I guess fair to say similar to Mullins, the huge 2021 three years back is keeping some of the bigger samples higher.

The finishing touch, like the bonus round of the HR Derby, will be the 2024 postseason.     Hopefully his best moments there are yet to come.

Everytime I see pitching fWAR I think of Kyle Gibson having a higher fWAR than Kyle Bradish through most of 2023.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Everytime I see pitching fWAR I think of Kyle Gibson having a higher fWAR than Kyle Bradish through most of 2023.

People say it's superior to rWAR but I just don't see it. I know there are good reasons to say that, but it never seems to match up with what our eyes tell us. rWAR I find matches up a lot more often. 

I agree rWAR is a valuable compare/contrast, but Fangraphs has outdone B-Ref making it easy to get flexible timeframes in a few clicks.

We've heard Sig and other Orioles leaders talk about liking xFIP, and they do stuff like win Shintaro Fujinami auctions against the market.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

People say it's superior to rWAR but I just don't see it. I know there are good reasons to say that, but it never seems to match up with what our eyes tell us. rWAR I find matches up a lot more often. 

I can see it for position players but not pitchers. 

To be fair, rWAR has some issues to for pitching, sometimes it overcompensates for bad defense. Best example is Aaron Nola's absurd 9.7 rWAR in 2018 because of the Phillies' horrible defense. Probably seeing that a little with Crochet's rWAR too.

rWAR's defense adjustment helps Erick Fedde and Tyler Anderson to be its 2nd and 3rd best pitchers in the AL at the All-Star break.

It is a counting stat and those guys are also helped being stalwarts for clubs just trying to complete the schedule, whereas on the BAL tier stuff like the objectively sensible move of parking Grayson Rodriguez for a couple weeks or a couple seasons here or there happens.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Firing Hyde would be a nonsensical move right now. A knee jerk reaction. Baseball is a long season, full of ups and downs. He is a steady force, and definitely imperfect. Part of his appeal as a manager is that he has a fairly calm exterior, but he is fiery. He doesn’t just flip his lid for some minor thing. He does make mistakes, and tends to over-manage, at times, with matchups and such. And perhaps he is loyal to a fault, but his players live him for it. If we are going to blame Hyde for this mess, I think it misguided. You can say this is a very flawed and inexperienced team. Its construction has sacrificed some defense for production. Injuries to Mateo and Westburg have hurt. We have infielders who cannot execute a proper tag, or make a basic throw on the run. Mullins is banged up, again. We can certainly lay some bricks at Elias’ feet for team construction. How many LH bats do we need? Adding Slater was actually a good move. Eloy Jimenez, I actually like that too. We have watched this team change over from the hungry grinders to the young stars. We do seem to have guys who want to be stars, rather than be good at baseball and win games. I don’t care how many home runs we hit. Kevin Brown talks about that like I should actually care. Or what the exit velo is on a ground ball out. I want to see guys play smart, with a good approach. Shorten up with two strikes. Execute a bunt, or a hit and run. I want them to play team baseball and win. The Astros dugout is so much more engaged than we are. They have a few stars, but those guys just have some good solid players who are always hungry and in the game. When the camera pans into their dugout, look how engaged they are. 
    • Roy, you don't have to defend yourself or your fandom to anyone - particularly some marginal poster on this site. You are one of the posters that make this site special aand we are fortunate to have you around. May your fandom last forever! Plus, hope is a Tony Tatter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    • Last year the team never gave him a lead. My guess is he would be a lot more willing to extend Bautista and Cano in those one run situations. With off days and such he will have everybody available most games unlike the regular season. 
    • I don't really buy the injured cavalry narrative. We don't really know if or when some of these guys are coming back or how they'll perform. Plus, we don't know who else will replace them on the injured list. Mountcastle, Mullins and Rutschman already not full strength, for starters...
    • Thats what I thought the thread was about. The other Soto, I cant believe poeple are even responding to that.
    • Mullins will be worth his salary, in the abstract.  But sometimes when you go to a nice restaurant, you have to decide between the nice bottle of wine, the filet mignon, or the fancy dessert to stay within your budget.   So do you want to spend $9 mm on a part-time CF, or we would you rather trade him for something of value and spend the money on other needs?   
    • First, you don't know me. I've been on this board for at least 15 years. I was an Oriole batboy for two seasons . My home is an Oriole shrine.I don't really care what you think of me as a fan, or for that matter how you feel I am "in reality". I bleed Orange and Black and wear my heart on my sleeve and every other cliche' about being a fan you could write.I'm also very accepted by my family as a bit obsessed about my team.If that appears insufferable to you, so be it. But I'll tell you this, when the Orioles are rolling I'm euphoric, and when they struggle, I lament and feel down. You might call that "weak as a feather in the wind"(wasn't that a Bob Dylan song?), but that's  just called being a fan....or at least a different kind of fan than you would like me to be. So, go ahead, rip me as a fan.I know who and what I am . I may not be for everybody here, or frankly ANYBODY here, but I LOVE my Birds. One person's passion and obsession is your "weak as a feather".Say whatever you want. I'll keep being the fan I've always been for 60 years.
  • Popular Contributors