Bullpen 2024

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Tanner Scott walked 13 in 12 innings in April and he’s been much better since.  Saw him close against the Phils the other night.  Very sharp.  98-99 with a knee buckling slider and command.

Again, by the numbers, he was one of the best 3-5 relievers in baseball last year and he got better as the year went on.  Looks like the same thing this year.  We could do a lot worse.  And he’s a rental so he won’t cost an arm and a leg.   Bradfield and Vespi for Scott.  Something like that.  Do it.

In May and June for Scott.

22.1 IP, 10 H, 10 BB, 24 K.   2 runs allowed.

Does that look like Cano?

Excellent points. My only real responses are that 2023 was a career year for Scott. Every other year his walk rate was too high. 

Every year is a new year, and there’s little as variable from year to year as relief pitching, so saying he was splendid last year means nothing compared to his career norms.

However, you’re correct about this season. He started poorly and has gotten better.

Still, once burned is twice warned, and I wouldn’t want him back.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Excellent points. My only real responses are that 2023 was a career year for Scott. Every other year his walk rate was too high. 

Every year is a new year, and there’s little as variable from year to year as relief pitching, so saying he was splendid last year means nothing compared to his career norms.

However, you’re correct about this season. He started poorly and has gotten better.

Still, once burned is twice warned, and I wouldn’t want him back.

How recently were you burned?   He was great last year, especially in the 2nd half.  His first half, overall, has been good and he’s trending in the right direction.  You don’t want him because he ticked you off in 2021?   

Just now, dystopia said:

I’d like to get Hunter Harvey, we don’t need another LHP out of the pen especially once Coulombe gets back 

RH or LH doesn’t really matter.  We need someone who can get outs against both handed batters in the 7-9 innings.

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How recently were you burned?   He was great last year, especially in the 2nd half.  His first half, overall, has been good and he’s trending in the right direction.  You don’t want him because he ticked you off in 2021?   

I think it's weird that people will point to his walk rate not not his excellent WHIP. I was a Scott hater to some degree while he was here but I'd welcome him in this bullpen with open arms.

Edited by interloper

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's weird that people will point to his walk rate not not his excellent WHIP. I was a Scott hater to see degree while he was here but I'd welcome him in this bullpen with open arms.

They think about when he was here.  It scares them.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Good heavens, why didn’t you understand that?

When he was with us before he was terrible.you can see his walk rate was never good with us.

I was overjoyed when we traded him to the Marlins, and except for last year,  he was a headache with them too. 

So I am concerned, and with reason, that if we buy him back, he will again be bad with us, so no thanks.

IMG_2556.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Good heavens, why didn’t you understand that?

When he was with us before he was terrible.you can see his walk rate was never good with us.

I was overjoyed when we traded him to the Marlins, and except for last year,  he was a headache with them too. 

So I am concerned, and with reason, that if we buy him back, he will again be bad with us, so no thanks.

IMG_2556.jpeg

Your logic totally eludes me.    He was excellent last year.  He has been excellent in May and June this year.   He’s not the same pitcher he was in 2022 and before with the Orioles.  

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Your logic totally eludes me.    He was excellent last year.  He has been excellent in May and June this year.   He’s not the same pitcher he was in 2022 and before with the Orioles.  

I think it is fair to say he has reversion risk. Look at his K/9 and BB/9 compared to last year. I wouldn't hate it but he wouldn't be my first choice and I definitely wouldn't pay a lot for him. Like, say, as much as we paid for Andrew Miller.

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok, fine. If he’s turned a corner and has found a new path as he hits 30, that’s great. We’ll see what happens.