Ryan Mountcastle 2024

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I feel like my "professional hitter" comment, which was mostly a throwaway remark, is being scrutinized a bit much. Ultimately, it's an unquantifiable and subjective descriptor. It probably means something a little different to me than it does to you, which is fine. All I meant to say was I value his role on the team, and I like the way he turned out as an overall hitter. I believe I even said he's not perfect, which he's not. When taken in the context of the whole lineup, he fits well.

It’s definitely one of those phrases where different people have very different interpretations.   When I hear “professional hitter,” Harold Baines is the guy who immediately pops into my head.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, interloper said:

I feel like my "professional hitter" comment, which was mostly a throwaway remark, is being scrutinized a bit much. Ultimately, it's an unquantifiable and subjective descriptor. It probably means something a little different to me than it does to you, which is fine. All I meant to say was I value his role on the team, and I like the way he turned out as an overall hitter. I believe I even said he's not perfect, which he's not. When taken in the context of the whole lineup, he fits well.

I don’t think you really think that was a throwaway line when it was towards the top of your defense of RMC. I do believe it keeps being brought up because we all have our ideas of what that phrase means and I think you’re the only dude here who feels that RMC falls into that category. 

Which is fine. I mean, people think all sorts of weird stuff.  But you believe what you believe and that’s cool. Wave that freak flag high. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s definitely one of those phrases where different people have very different interpretations.   When I hear “professional hitter,” Harold Baines is the guy who immediately pops into my head.  

For fun.  Not as much contact, but much more productive in fewer ABs through first 4 years. 
Permanent Link

Permanent Link

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

For fun.  Not as much contact, but much more productive in fewer ABs through first 4 years. 
Permanent Link

Permanent Link

Interestingly Mounty had more BBs in fewer PA than Baines in their respective first 4 seasons.  I’ve heard rumblings of guys on the team say that Ryan is the best pure hitter on the squad.  The guy can hit.  His xwOBACON is elite.  He can’t lay off some pitches, sure.  But he puts the ball in play at elite EV levels often.  If he takes the next step (big if) he will be  an Elite bat.  With that said, history has shown those types of profiles (bad pitch recognition) don’t improve much.  

First four seasons:

Baines 6% walk rate & 13% K rate.

.272/.315/.447

Moutcastle 7% walk rate & 25% K rate. 

.263/.319/.457

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

Had not thought about this “professional hitter” phrase until reading through this thread.  For me, it’s a guy who’s calling card is their bat.  A hit first guy who won’t make a manager look stupid putting him in the DH role.  The term makes me think of guys who aren’t good in the field or who have had injuries that prevent them from playing in the field.  Someone like Michael Brantley who had a .794 career OPS and who’s first 4 years don’t hold a candle to Mounty.  I don’t think @interloper was out of line at all calling Mounty a professional hitter.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brantmi02.shtml#2009-2012-sum:batting_standard

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he’s in for a very good year….and then you have to trade him.

But for this season, if healthy, I think he’s a guy we look at as a big contributor.

I think this is a make or break year for his career trajectory.  Hitting is three things 1. Bat speed 2. Bat to ball skills 3. Swing decisions.  He excels at 2/3.  Can he he make the final leap and become elite ? Can he at least adjust slightly to take him to an .850+  well above average level?

Edited by emmett16

7 hours ago, emmett16 said:

bad pitch recognition

It's one thing to train quick twitch muscle.  It's another to improve neuro pathway speed.  Which is why fastball hunting early is the path for many.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Sports Guy views players who have been on the team for a few years like Leonardo DiCaprio views women over the age of 25. 🤣

Well if you feel what you have coming is better than what is here you take this approach. I tend to agree, Mountcastle having a great year would be good for him and the team. 

In regards to the Baines comparison, I feel like Baines was more consistent. Mountcastle is a more hot & cold player. He’s scorching when things are going good but has had some slumps that have been awful. When he does go cold he’s looked clueless. I don’t remember Baines ever looking like that.