Defense is a factor as to why our top hitting prospects are in AAA

Greg Pappas

There was an excellent interview that Roch did with Tony Mansolino back on March 11, discussing the defensive progress of Holliday and Mayo.  It goes into detail about what both are working on and need to improve, and I commend it to anyone who didn’t read it then.  But here’s the bottom line, from Mansolino, way before Holliday and Mayo were reassigned to Norfolk:

“We want plus defenders all around the field. That’s what this current iteration of the Baltimore Orioles, that’s what we need to be to win the AL East.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mansolino-talks-about-holliday-defense-at-second-and-mayo-at-third

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There was an excellent interview that Roch did with Tony Mansolino back on March 11, discussing the defensive progress of Holliday and Mayo.  It goes into detail about what both are working on and need to improve, and I commend it to anyone who didn’t read it then.  But here’s the bottom line, from Mansolino, way before Holliday and Mayo were reassigned to Norfolk:

“We want plus defenders all around the field. That’s what this current iteration of the Baltimore Orioles, that’s what we need to be to win the AL East.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mansolino-talks-about-holliday-defense-at-second-and-mayo-at-third

No doubt about it. Thats why Elias and Hyde like Urias so much and Westburg in the MI. Gunner's solid at SS too. It might take some time for Holliday and Mayo to unseat these guys. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

No doubt about it. Thats why Elias and Hyde like Urias so much and Westburg in the MI. Gunner's solid at SS too. It might take some time for Holliday and Mayo to unseat these guys. 

Mayo might not ever unseat anyone at 3rd if he can’t improve his accuracy.  Mansolino pretty much said Holliday looks ready but needs more game speed reps.   I don’t think Holliday will have to wait too long, especially if Westburg and/or Urías get off to poor starts offensively.

Anyone know what Holliday's error was last night? That's #2 down there in 3 games. Just hoping to keep track of what they were. First one was a bad shovel-pass to 2B, could have been flukey but impossible to know because they don't have close up replays. 

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

Anyone know what Holliday's error was last night? That's #2 down there in 3 games. Just hoping to keep track of what they were. First one was a bad shovel-pass to 2B, could have been flukey but impossible to know because they don't have close up replays. 

It was a groundball in the hole that he dove for. His throw bounced about 10 feet before 1B and the 1B didn't scoop it. It bounced maybe about chest high and the 1B had to scoop it at his head. In the pic below, I circled where the ball bounced. The 2nd pic is right before the ball hits the glove.

image.png.eddb67e441fb0fd29a0569b7d100be94.png

image.png.18fa3a75d2ea6466eb2e9e1bb6798197.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It was a groundball in the hole that he dove for. His throw bounced about 10 feet before 1B and the 1B didn't scoop it. It bounced maybe about chest high and the 1B had to scoop it at his head. In the pic below, I circled where the ball bounced. The 2nd pic is right before the ball hits the glove.

Thanks! Much appreciated. I see he was playing SS so a longer throw. That's a scoop Mounty maybe makes. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Thanks! Much appreciated. I see he was playing SS so a longer throw. That's a scoop Mounty maybe makes. 

Anyone playing professional baseball should make that pick. I played with a first baseman in college who had 0 errors all year and shortstop had 25 because of plays like that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

In real time it looks like the high bounce catches the 1B off guard. I think he was expecting more of a skip and not a high bounce.

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Anyone playing professional baseball should make that pick. I played with a first baseman in college who had 0 errors all year and shortstop had 25 because of plays like that. 

What if they are a DH?  😉

20 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

And it was ruled a hit with the runner advancing on the throw. Tough play and at least partially on the 1B for failing to make the catch or at least keeping the ball in front of him. 1B was Cook, who does not have a lot of experience there.

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mounty didn't make the scoop on Mateo's throw in the first game this year, so maybe he doesn't make this one either.

I think people maybe underestimate how difficult the longer scoops are, not knowing exactly how high the bounce will go.  Short-hop scoops are much easier to execute.

I wonder if there are stats on what % of bounced throws, on dirt surfaces, end up getting scooped cleanly, and furthermore, %'s for the various distance that the ball bounced before the base.

Mayos throws are worrisome.  Holliday needs more reps.  Fairly confused as to why he isn’t getting those opportunities at 2B.  He played SS yesterday.  Leads me to believe he will be down there for a while.  

4 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Yeah, Brooks said Boog got him into the HOF with all of the scoops he made of throws that hit the ground first.