Defense is a factor as to why our top hitting prospects are in AAA

Greg Pappas

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Someone should tell Austin Riley, or how about O’Neill Cruz, and Elly DeLa Cruz?

There's exceptions to everything obvously. Since we're picking nits, Riley is not as tall as Mayo. Oneil Cruz plays SS. De La Cruz played more SS than 3B last year.

It doesn't change the fact that I feel like he would have been moved already. 

Just because Mayo has a potential rifle for an arm, does not mean he will be effective in RF.  I think worth continuing to explore whether Mayo can stick at 3B in 2024.  Long term; he may be 1B.

Kjerstad clearly bad at 1B, and I get why team is trying to provide more optionality (future OHearn replacement) while also giving Norby time in the OF.  Kjerstad looked competent to me in the OF this spring and I think that’s where his future lies. 

51 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Is it worse to discuss the decision to have him start at AAA or worse when people on here wanted to send Henderson back down last year?  
This would be a pretty boring message board if we all lived in an echo chamber of the same opinion. Of course, what ever my opinion is is the correct one and everyone who disagrees is a dolt. 😉

My complaint is about a different kind of echo chamber, where people feel the need to repeat their opinions over and over and over.   Heck, some people are still litigating whether Adley was held back for service time reasons in May 2022, as if that wasn’t discussed enough at the time. 

But in any event, I’m not telling people what to post about.  I’m just stating that I’m bored with reading the same rehashed arguments day after day.  Doesn’t mean anyone has to stop doing it.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

I agree with the original post that this is a big part of the front office's thinking.  Having outstanding defense means that it's less important to have pitchers who miss bats, so that plays in to the organization's emphasis on drafting and developing high-end position players more so than high-end pitching prospects. 

Another factor is that this is a small market club that is not going to be able to keep all of its best players beyond their rookie contracts.  If that's the case, then it is imperative that players do as much development in the minors as possible and come to the majors as a finished product.  I think it's clear that our top hitters at AAA are major league ready at the plate, but not so much in the field.  As long as the major league club is winning games, there's no rush.  

Not saying that I'm happy about it, but I can see the rationale.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

My complaint is about a different kind of echo chamber, where people feel the need to repeat their opinions over and over and over.   Heck, some people are still litigating whether Adley was held back for service time reasons in May 2022, as if that wasn’t discussed enough at the time. 

But in any event, I’m not telling people what to post about.  I’m just stating that I’m bored with reading the same rehashed arguments day after day.  Doesn’t mean anyone has to stop doing it.  

Or maybe it should be discussed in the minor league board instead. I’m irritated, he was clearly the best option to start the season at second. Maybe they get an extra year out of it and maybe Mateo starts the year the same as last. Whatever, I’m over it, just keep winning and I will be fine and happy enough. 

The issue with them is not their level of talent. It is their ability to be consistent. I agree, pretty much, with the OP.

I refrained from saying much about Holliday going down because there was so much whining about it. I will say that I think his offensive approach and swing decisions are something that need some work. He’s an incredible talent, but he is far from where he will be in a year or two. His swing and miss is an issue. I have seen him swing from his heels and miss by a foot on several occasions, including last nights game. The kid doesn’t get cheated, but his swing is a bit wild right now at times.

Holliday has thrown “lollipop throws” on several occasions this Spring. Those bug me, honestly. It’s a pet peeve, throw the damn ball. Hit them in the chest. I’m sure he’ll adjust in a little time, but there is work to be done there. 

Mayo and Kjerstad are more polished in some ways, but still not there yet. I am still not convinced Mayo is a good defender at 3B. Does the bat make up for it? IDK, tough call. I can tell he has worked hard on his body and mobility. 

Look, these are young men we will be seeing for a long time. They aren’t in an ideal state of readiness right now. No rush, for me anyway. Could they play in MLB right now? Sure. They could play now, and we’d likely lose some games because of mistakes they will make that others may not. Pitchers would have to make more pitches, and we’d have to make more roster moves.

I do not want to watch sloppy baseball that leads to our pitchers wearing down sooner than they should. I don’t want to see us lose games that we should be winning with more consistent and efficient play. Elias and Hyde know what they’re doing, as evidenced by how this team and organization have grown steadily and quickly. The executive and manager of the year in 2023. According to some here, they’re terrible morons who are simply trying to game the system to get another year of Holliday. It’s hilarious. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Holliday has thrown “lollipop throws” on several occasions this Spring. Those bug me, honestly. It’s a pet peeve, throw the damn ball. Hit them in the chest. I’m sure he’ll adjust in a little time, but there is work to be done there. 

Mayo and Kjerstad are more polished in some ways, but still not there yet. I am still not convinced Mayo is a good defender at 3B. Does the bat make up for it? IDK, tough call. I can tell he has worked hard on his body and mobility. 

Look, these are young men we will be seeing for a long time. They aren’t in an ideal state of readiness right now. No rush, for me anyway. Could they play in MLB right now? Sure. They could play now, and we’d likely lose some games because of mistakes they will make that others may not. Pitchers would have to make more pitches, and we’d have to make more roster moves.

Great post.  These points especially resonate.  I feel the same way watching Holliday too even if he usually makes the play in the end.   

Watching the O's defense yesterday was refreshing.   Crisp and decisive.  Westburg looked every bit the part at 2B.  Mounty starting the DP was strong too.  Then watching Neto boot that easy DP and the carousel of RPs on the mound...

I'm still a 3B Mayo believer.  He'd be a better 1B than HK though.

• Upvote 1

I was definitely in the camp that Holliday should have started with the Os. However, and I know this is certainly recency bias and SSS after 2 games, but our MLB team is legit without him. So I have kinda switched my mindset to enjoying the guys we have in Baltimore, plus looking forward to when Jackson is brought up, which will feel like a legit trade acquisition.