Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Right now, as a complete all around player,I believe Westburg is performing best on this team..

I agree, and I don't really see it as Jordan just riding a hot streak. He probably won't end up 6th in MLB in WAR, like he is now, but I think he is going to be a very good player for many years to come. I love the way he plays. He hits it hard consistently, fields well at multiple positions, runs well and seems to be in the middle of most rallies. He brings back some memories of Bobby Grich to me, and I could see him having a Grich like career with multiple All-Star appearances. 

I know there is a lot of young talent coming up, but I think there are going to be players moving around to other spots rather than pushing Jordan to a utility role or a trade. I see him in the lineup on an everyday basis for years to come, whether it is at 2B or 3B.

I don't know if asking at this point is going to solicit honest responses but here we go: how worried were you in the offseason about Westburg's late-season slump?

I wasn't terribly worried but I'd understand why if you were.  It was more just frustrating because both O'Hearn and Westburg slumped at the same time and it just killed our offense going into the playoffs.  For what it's worth, ZIPS had him as an above-average regular this season and going forward.  Their algorithm seemed pretty impressed with his half-season audition.

For sure though, even if I wasn't worried I certainly wasn't expecting him to brush close to 1.000 OPS in his first month.  And I imagine there weren't many people that were.

Edited by Hallas

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't know if asking at this point is going to solicit honest responses but here we go: how worried were you in the offseason about Westburg's late-season slump?

I wasn't terribly worried but I'd understand why if you were.  It was more just frustrating because both O'Hearn and Westburg slumped at the same time and it just killed our offense going into the playoffs.  For what it's worth, ZIPS had him as an above-average regular this season and going forward.  Their algorithm seemed pretty impressed with his half-season audition.

I wasn't worried because I thought he actually held his own. I also kind of viewed him as a versatile Zobrist-lite kinda guy, so I wasn't worried about him making a huge offensive impact like, say, Gunnar or Adley. I was hoping for an easy upgrade on Urias, basically. So I'm thrilled with what he's doing right now. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

So unworried that I didn’t even remember he’d had a late season slump.  

4 hours ago, Malike said:

Imagine if Gunnar's can of corn was a few inches higher, we would have had 3 homers in that game. We have a few guys holding their own (and then some).

I know I’m being nit picky now but this post confused me at first.  A can of corn is an easy fly ball and Gunnar’s shot was the antithesis of that.

2 hours ago, HelenaEngineer said:

He brings back some memories of Bobby Grich to me, and I could see him having a Grich like career with multiple All-Star appearances. 

Does the mustache compare as well?

Seeing Westburg batting 3rd is something I didn't expect. Let's see how it goes. I would have liked to see what happened if he batted cleanup. And at the same time, we had such a good thing going with him batting right after Cowser, that I don't know if we are tinkering too much by changing his spot in the lineup.

I'm looking forward to watching!