John Means 2024

Tony-OH

Its a real shame. We knew there we were probably on borrowed time with Means and unfortunately, it appears he did not hold up. This reminds my of the Matt Riley situation. He came back, was never fully right, then blew it back out and needed a second surgery. Came back and was never even close to the guy before both surgeries. And that was at a younger age than Means.

I hope he can maybe undergo some PRP treatments and maybe come back by the last two months of the season and still help out, but I think anything we get from him from here on out is gravy.

Saying that, I'm ok going forward with a Burnes, Bradish, GRodriguez, Kremer, Irvin rotation. 

Povich obviously could also be in the mix, but I think they will go back to a 5-man rotation and bring up Heasley unless they want to keep working on stretching him out as a starter. That would mean Dillon Tate would probably be coming back for mop up/low leverage work.

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Isn't it always a forearm strain?

That's pretty much what you first hear when TJ is needed including when he initially went on the DL in 2022. Maybe it's a true forearm strain and that's it, but highly doubtful. 

• Upvote 1

Orioles Place John Means On Injured List With Forearm Strain

By Steve Adams | May 23, 2024 at 11:17am CDT

The Orioles announced Thursday that left-hander John Means has been placed on the 15-day injured list due to a left forearm strain. Righty Jonathan Heasley has been recalled from Triple-A Norfolk to take his spot on the 26-man roster.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

It seems crazy that Means would have another torn UCL that quickly if the procedure was done correctly the first time. He doesn’t even throw hard. 

Surgery is always a risk, regardless.  Last stat I saw was 83% of  Pitchers who had TJ surgeries make a full recovery and come back to pitch. 

22 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

If its  just a forearm strain and it’s just 15 days we should consider ourselves lucky. 

That’s how it always starts, I’ll be surprised if it’s a forearm strain that heals in a couple weeks.

Means chances at getting a big contract in free agency is approaching zero. He’s been one of my favorites in recent team history and it sucks if his career has to end on this note of constant IL stints. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hudson's story was one of the main features in The Arm.  He turned down a significant contract after his big year and then blew out and had to spend his surgery year at league minimum.  He blew out almost right away when he came back after the first one and again had to spend his rehab year at league minimum.  He had a hard time getting a job after the second, but ultimately went on to have a great career.  It really messed him up mentally and went through a lot of depression and thinking about the 'what ifs' during his down time.  

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m aware there are pitchers who have had the procedure twice, but needing another one that soon after coming back from the first one would be rather unprecedented. 

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I’m aware there are pitchers who have had the procedure twice, but needing another one that soon after coming back from the first one would be rather unprecedented. 

Okay not entirely unprecedented considering Daniel Hudson, but it’s a very short list. 

Posted (edited)

What's worse for Means at this point - it's a sprain that he has to rehab for a few months and finally makes it back again by the end of the season and he pitches a few starts and hurts it again. Or he tore it and it's TJS 2.0. 

Honestly, starting to think the latter. Maybe the surgery works better the second time around and he doesn't have to keep starting and stopping like this. 

Edited by interloper