Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

11 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Reports of Hays's demise might have been exaggerated. We'll see how long he can keep this up.

He overall just looks healthier.  Moving well and confident.  Early in the season when he was sick he looked too skinny and weak.  If he can keep this going that would be huge, especially if Ced stays in his slump.

• 4 weeks later...

Hays 2024: .260/.319/.412, 111 OPS+
Hays career: .261/.314/.432, 107 OPS+

He’s basically at his career rates now, after starting the year at .111/.200/.111 in April before getting hurt and still at .171/.232/.213 at the end of May.  Now at .375/.436/.679 since then.   Nice to see him dig out of that hole, even with severely reduced playing time.   

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays 2024: .260/.319/.412, 111 OPS+
Hays career: .261/.314/.432, 107 OPS+

He’s basically at his career rates now, after starting the year at .111/.200/.111 in April before getting hurt and still at .171/.232/.213 at the end of May.  Now at .375/.436/.679 since then.   Nice to see him dig out of that hole, even with severely reduced playing time.   

It’s some people’s first rodeo. You can’t blame those people. We haven’t won a WS in 40 years. 

What they do with Hays is going to be interesting.

The reports may not be true but if they are and the Os want a RH OFer capable of playing CF, where does that leave Hays?

He should be a guy that would be very easy to trade and while I know he’s hot right now, if ends the year as he normally does, do you really tender him a contract for 6.5-7.5M? 

It’s possible you do because you want a RHer in the OF but if you want a RH bat for the OF, I feel like that player should be a CFer. 

I know next year is next year but the composition of the OF for the rest of this year and really 2025 and beyond is a big question mark imo. 

I just wonder if the Os are going to use this deadline to offload some of this depth to make a run or if they will feel that depth is a key their run, as they have felt for a while now and stick with the vet guys?  

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2024 at 8:15 AM, yark14 said:

He overall just looks healthier.  Moving well and confident.  Early in the season when he was sick he looked too skinny and weak.  If he can keep this going that would be huge, especially if Ced stays in his slump.

Cedric has an .868 OPS in the past month. If that's him slumping, sign me up.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What they do with Hays is going to be interesting.

The reports may not be true but if they are and the Os want a RH OFer capable of playing CF, where does that leave Hays?

He should be a guy that would be very easy to trade and while I know he’s hot right now, if ends the year as he normally does, do you really tender him a contract for 6.5-7.5M? 

It’s possible you do because you want a RHer in the OF but if you want a RH bat for the OF, I feel like that player should be a CFer. 

I know next year is next year but the composition of the OF for the rest of this year and really 2025 and beyond is a big question mark imo. 

I just wonder if the Os are going to use this deadline to offload some of this depth to make a run or if they will feel that depth is a key their run, as they have felt for a while now and stick with the vet guys?  

I think Heys is pretty likely to be non-tendered if he’s not traded.   He’s making $6.3 mm this year and would probably be in line for $7-8 mm next year even if he ends up with 250-300 PA like he’s on pace to do.   That’s fine for a full-time OF but not for a part time player.  Therefore, I think they’d part with him in the right deal.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays now has a higher OPS then Cowser, .744 to .739.

Thought about starting a thread about this.

He now also has a higher on base percentage as well.

I point it out not to knock Cowser, who has been far better defensively this year than I'd imagined- but to say that Hays still has a very important role on this team, despite plenty of posters wanting to bury him after 50 ABs to start the season.

SportsGuy talked about it in regards to next season, and that's a much longer discussion, because yeah 8 mil for a guy to 300 ABs is probably not what you want to do, but for the rest of this season, Austin Hays could bring a lot of value to this roster.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Heys is pretty likely to be non-tendered if he’s not traded.   He’s making $6.3 mm this year and would probably be in line for $7-8 mm next year even if he ends up with 250-300 PA like he’s on pace to do.   That’s fine for a full-time OF but not for a part time player.  Therefore, I think they’d part with him in the right deal.  

I would be shocked if he is non-tendered. Have to see how roster plays out. Santander is probably gone, not sure Urias will be back. Realistic chance he is traded. 

As of right now they will have to move two players to make room for Holliday and Mayo. So that will be a money savings. 

I think Santander, Mullins and Hays are here for the rest of the year.  Cowser has to hit better  if he wants a full time spot.  Kjerstad hits the ball hard and  I have been surprised he plays as well as he has in the outfield corners.

I think Stowers, Norby, Beaver or Fabian are all available in trade at the deadline.

Santander is probably gone next year.   I don't think they non tender Hays or Mullins but they  will probably shop them this off season.

On 7/6/2024 at 12:31 PM, Frobby said:

I wonder what he would get on the open market? You see a lot of sign and trade deals in basketball (I know, a different purpose and mechanism than this), but if you think that arbitration number is supported by the market maybe there’s a chance of swinging a deal with him in the offseason, as part of a package or a lottery ticket return.