Dean Kremer 2024

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Look I like what Kremer has given us tonight and in general. And I don’t want to take anything away from him as a solid starter.

But how many All-star teams and accolades has Manny Machado racked up since he left Baltimore?

We don’t have to rewrite history to prop up Kremer. He’s a really solid starter.

I don't think he was suggesting that anyone would trade Manny for Kremer in a vaccum, just that the team is getting better value out of the deal than it used to look like they would. A reliable back end starter for two months of Manny isn't bad at all. 

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I still dont think Bradish or Means are ready...but its worth a roll of the dice Thursday to see if Bradish can somehow give us 4 innings and then give way to Suarez...

Well if Means isn't ready at this point then it's time to bid farewell. 

Re: Bradish I'm of the opinion that he probably has a limited # of innings in him before going on the IL for a very long time. Might as well use those pitches in Baltimore.

I don't think the "#5" label reflects well Kremer's value - he'll pitch the 2nd or 3rd most innings on a team credibly enough for it to get those 54% of wins that make a tournament berth fairly likely.

He's the yin to the yang of all the relief aces MLB pitching coordinators daydream about stacking up at the end of the year.

13 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I still dont think Bradish or Means are ready...but its worth a roll of the dice Thursday to see if Bradish can somehow give us 4 innings and then give way to Suarez...

I hope that he can get through more than 4 innings being allowed to throw 80 pitches (the target that Elias talked about).

13 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

We could go with an internal option as closer like Cano or Wells.  I still think we need another bullpen arm -- maybe even two.  I'm just concerned someone will get hurt again.

I would hate to put our World Series hopes on Cano or even Wells for that matter closing out games in October. There are likely to be better options available.

20 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

We "need" one of them to be ready right? Makes the deadline dealing a lot easier?

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't think the "#5" label reflects well Kremer's value - he'll pitch the 2nd or 3rd most innings on a team credibly enough for it to get those 54% of wins that make a tournament berth fairly likely.

He's the yin to the yang of all the relief aces MLB pitching coordinators daydream about stacking up at the end of the year.

Kremer would be the second or third best SP on a lot of teams. I'll bet every playoff contender would have room for him in their rotation. I don't get why anyone looks at him and thinks "5th starter." You'd have to be living in Magical Christmasland to have four starters better than Kremer.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

Kremer would be the second or third best SP on a lot of teams. I'll bet every playoff contender would have room for him in their rotation. I don't get why anyone looks at him and thinks "5th starter." You'd have to be living in Magical Christmasland to have four starters better than Kremer.

Perhaps... but if he is an actual 5th starter, with Burnes, GRod, Bradish, Means all effective... it turns this rotation into a dangerous WS contender. Yes?

37 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I would hate to put our World Series hopes on Cano or even Wells for that matter closing out games in October. There are likely to be better options available.

Yeah I agree though not sure who could be available.  We could do a John Smoltz kind of move and use Kremer or even Bradish as the closer in the postseason -- but obviously only if no one reliable is available in a trade or up from the minors.  Kind of far fetched but it is an option.

I'll differ a little bit...yeah, great start tonight from the perspective that he got through 7 innings of 2 run ball.  That's fantastic.

But only 7 swinging strikes and 4 strikeouts against 4 walks.  He got some DP grounders but the Yankees were making loud contact in the early innings before he settled in a bit.  

That's the thing that kind of confounds me about Kremer, he'll have a game where he'll strike out 7-9 batters and you'll see real swing and miss stuff and then the next start it'll be hardly any swings and misses, not as many strikeouts. Maybe that's why he's anywhere from a 3rd to 5th starter. 

Tonight was a great outcome but I don't think he looked his best.

57 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Fantasy Baseball Poisoning is a pervasive and tragically understudied public health concern.

• Haha 1

A Kremer cherrypick - since his 6.19.2022 return to pitching decently for the Orioles - just 30 MLB SP have achieved Qualified Status over that now 1.75 season haul.

Gibson and Kremer are 18th/19th in innings entering today (when both covered 7 good ones).

One has a 7.29 K/9, 2.61 BB/9 and 1.26 HR/9; the other has a 7.51 K/9, 2.64 BB/9, and 1.21 HR/9.

They are some of the weakest workhorses at per-batter effectiveness, but that workhorse capacity is their notable trait.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2024&month=1000&season1=2024&ind=0&startdate=2022-06-12&enddate=2024-11-01&team=0&sortcol=7&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

After today, since his 2014 first full year, Gibson lags Greinke by 40 innings and Cole by 60 innings for 2nd place behind Scherzer.    He's never been a pitcher a playoff team wanted to throw.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll differ a little bit...yeah, great start tonight from the perspective that he got through 7 innings of 2 run ball.  That's fantastic.

But only 7 swinging strikes and 4 strikeouts against 4 walks.  He got some DP grounders but the Yankees were making loud contact in the early innings before he settled in a bit.  

That's the thing that kind of confounds me about Kremer, he'll have a game where he'll strike out 7-9 batters and you'll see real swing and miss stuff and then the next start it'll be hardly any swings and misses, not as many strikeouts. Maybe that's why he's anywhere from a 3rd to 5th starter. 

Cute.

Burnes will look so much more visually appealing going 5-1/3 tomorrow. 

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Minor counterpoint is that he somehow managed to throw 7 innings while throwing less than 100 pitches, despite giving up 4 walks.  So he didn't seem to be really laboring even when he had moments where his command disappeared.

The double plays helped with that, to be fair.

• Upvote 1