Dean Kremer 2024

14 hours ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Why? There are a number of DFAable players IMO.

No position players, I should have said. You can disagree of course, I just happen to think guys like Urias and Mateo are too valuable to expose to waivers. 

Is Kremer a #3 starter?   Most fans would say no.   

But how far from a #3 is he?    He has a 1.09 WHIP.  His average against is .197.   He is averaging a strike out an inning.   He has probably 3 or 4  starts before the deadline.   If he pitches like a #3 in those starts could he assume that role?

Many are watching to see if Elias will pull the trigger on acquiring a #3 starter.   Giving up one  or more of the O's best prospects.    But we may also be watching to see if Kremer pitches at a high level does Elias make the choice not to make that trade.

Edited by wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Is Kremer a #3 starter.   Most fans would say no.   

But how far from a #3 is he?    He has a 1.09 WHIP.  His average against is .197.   He is averaging a strike out an inning.   He has probably 3 or 4  starts before the deadline.   If he pitches like a #3 in those starts could he assume that role?

Many are watching to see if Elias will pull the trigger on acquiring a #3 starter.   Giving up one  or more of the O's best prospects.    But we may also be watching to see if Kremer pitches at a high level does Elias make the choice not to make that trade.

Kremer was #37 in FIP last year among qualified starters at 4.51. This season he's at #108 with a 4.54 FIP among starters with more than 50 IP. That suggest he's somewhere between a #3 and #4 league-wide.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Kremer was #37 in FIP last year among qualified starters at 4.51. This season he's at #108 with a 4.54 FIP among starters with more than 50 IP. That suggest he's somewhere between a #3 and #4 league-wide.

FIP doesn’t suggest anything. 

50 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Pls stop with the crusade and ignorance against advanced stats.  During MASN interview earlier this season, Drew French said he pays ZERO attention to ERA and instead prefers FIP.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Pls stop with the crusade and ignorance against advanced stats.  During MASN interview earlier this season, Drew French said he pays ZERO attention to ERA and instead prefers FIP.

No. I'm not going to be bullied into using bad stats. 

58 minutes ago, Say O! said:

I just ignore those type of responses. FIP is clearly one of the better stats to accurately rate a pitcher.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I like it better than ERA.

I assume Kremer's FIP is bad because he's given up 10 HR in 10 starts. His stuff is not going to consistently overcome giving up a HR every start. I remember Verlander gave up 36 HR in 2019 but obviously it didn't matter because they were almost always solo shots and his still won the CY with a 2.58 ERA (3.27 FIP) and struck out 300 batters.

24 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Fine — you don’t have to use them, but stop with the pithy responses when other posters cite and use them articulately. 

Don't tell me what to do. This is a message board and I have every right to post what I want within the rules of the board.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you aren't going to use pitching wins, saves or fielding percentage?

All of those are way worse than FIP.

When have I ever used any of those stats to evaluate a player? 

I'll save you the trouble of responding - I haven't, because they're also bad.

FIPS does not work well for pitchers that pitch to contact.

It's kind of weird.   Managers want starters to go deep in games.  Eating innings is encouraged. In order for a pitcher to do that he needs to pitch to contact to lower his number of pitches per inning.  But balls in play are not counted in FIP.

So when French talks in favor of FIP is he saying that he wants his pitchers to go for strike outs and not pitch to contact?  Make up your mind coach.   Either you want pitchers to go deep in games or strike out more batters. 

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

FIPS does not work well for pitchers that pitch to contact.

It's kind of weird.   Managers want starters to go deep in games.  Eating innings is encouraged. In order for a pitcher to do that he needs to pitch to contact to lower his number of pitches per inning.  But balls in play are not counted in FIP.

So when French talks in favor of FIP is he saying that he wants his pitchers to go for strike outs and not pitch to contact?  Make up your mind coach.   Either you want pitchers to go deep in games or strike out more batters. 

Do they?

Is it?

I'm pretty sure we've gone over the whole strikeouts don't increase pitch counts thing a hundred times.

I think if managers wanted starters to go deep in games you would see more starters go deep into games.

Is there one team in the majors in which the starters are going appreciably deeper into games?

Baltimore is fifth in innings by starters.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do they?

Is it?

I'm pretty sure we've gone over the whole strikeouts don't increase pitch counts thing a hundred times.

I think if managers wanted starters to go deep in games you would see more starters go deep into games.

Is there one team in the majors in which the starters are going appreciably deeper into games?

Baltimore is fifth in innings by starters.

Where can I find Kremer's FIP per month?   I can find his ERA per month many places.   Even Fangraphs only gives FIP for the year.   Unless I am not reading it right.

Edited by wildcard