Ramon Urias 2024

DirtyBird

I guess short term Urias/Mateo may be a platoon with Westburg flexing between 2B and 3B.

Of course in baseball anything can happen any night, but some of last night's wonder for me is if Holliday may have done more at the bottom of the lineup.   Kimbrel, McKenna and Cowser messed some stuff up late.

Savant this morning (25 batted ball minimums) sees Urias as one of just 6 MLB Bats out of 330 with a sub-100mph MaxEV on the season.

Hopefully one of the extra IF options can get it going.    Right now I trust more Mateo to upkeep his normal play level, but I admit in Urias' case I have some concern he's mostly washed.     Holliday performed like the worst bat in the league, but other 2B options haven't been far from it either.

• 1 month later...

It was nice to see Ramon have a big day yesterday.  Has anyone noticed he has a .984 OPS in May?  Haha, I bet you didn’t!  He’s only gotten into 9 games this month, and had 21 PA.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

It was nice to see Ramon have a big day yesterday.  Has anyone noticed he has a .984 OPS in May?  Haha, I bet you didn’t!  He’s only gotten into 9 games this month, and had 21 PA.

He should be playing vs righties now that Mateo is getting back to his old self.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He should be playing vs righties now that Mateo is getting back to his old self.

Could happen, but I think Mateo has earned himself a bit of rope.  If he has another week like the last one then I think you’ll see his PT cut back.  He did draw a nice walk last night, taking some close pitches he normally bites at when things are going badly for him.  

People want to just DFA this dude every transaction, but the fact is that he’s our 3rd best defensive 3B in our org and his .673 OPS isn’t exactly killing the team. I think he’s perfect for this team as a bench player unless we upgrade with a vet LH bat that can play 3B/2B. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Nice to see Urias showing signs of life. OPS up to .684. OPS+ is now somehow 99. 

It’s almost as if the idea of judging a solid vet on a SSS of at bats is a foolish thing to do.

Posted (edited)

The Os need to make some trades and trading a few vets should be on the table.

Whether it be Urias or Mateo and OHearn or Hays (or any other number of combos), trading some vets should be considered.

We don’t see it a lot but trading ver bats to another contender for relief help could be a direction to go.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People want to just DFA this dude every transaction, but the fact is that he’s our 3rd best defensive 3B in our org and his .673 OPS isn’t exactly killing the team. I think he’s perfect for this team as a bench player unless we upgrade with a vet LH bat that can play 3B/2B. 

The upgrade could  be Norby, Holliday or even Mayo. Right now Hes in the perfect place for this team. (with Mateo Being IL).

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Nice to see Urias showing signs of life. OPS up to .684. OPS+ is now somehow 99. 

And Hayes as well. Nice when the Vets (who take a lot of flak around here) step up and play well. Team as constructed is a nice mix of young up and coming players mixed with the vets, with even more prospects close. The Team is in a really good spot now.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s almost as if the idea of judging a solid vet on a SSS of at bats is a foolish thing to do.

The OH when a guy who has always been a decent player is a decent player:

TV gif. Hassan Johnson as Wee-Bey on The Wire has his mouth open in shock. He rubs his chin and then crosses his arms. He then turns to look over his shoulder.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I said this before the season, he’s a rich team’s utility infielder. 

• Upvote 1