Who gets called up first?

Who gets called up first?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets called up from Norfolk first?

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Holliday is the easy answer and it’s not even close, barring injury.  Kemp can easily be released to make room for him.  I ask again….without injury, who is leaving this team anytime soon?  I just don’t see them releasing Urias, O’hearn, Mateo, and especially not Hays.  They also have very little trade value. If Holliday comes up for Kemp, then you have Cowser, Mateo, McCann, Urias as your bench.  I could see other moves as we get into May, but can’t see anyone but Holliday before then.

Agreed, Holliday is the easiest move.

I think O'Hearn is the next to go.  Outside of a really nice start with us last year he just doesn't have the history to be handed regular at-bats.  If Kjerstad is mashing he deserves to take O'Hearn's spot.  

I'd be surprised if we move on from Urias or Mateo this year.  They are valuable in back-up roles.  If Mayo comes up he needs to be starting.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Agreed, Holliday is the easiest move.

I think O'Hearn is the next to go.  Outside of a really nice start with us last year he just doesn't have the history to be handed regular at-bats.  If Kjerstad is mashing he deserves to take O'Hearn's spot.  

I'd be surprised if we move on from Urias or Mateo this year.  They are valuable in back-up roles.  If Mayo comes up he needs to be starting.  

I doubt O’Hearn is going anywhere soon unless he gets traded. His 2nd half numbers were still very solid and by mid-May I’d expect him to have a .750 OPS or so. 

He’s become a solid bat after the O’s revamped his swing and MLB eliminated the shift. 

• Upvote 1

After doing some thinking about it, I believe Stowers will be the next man up, unless injuries dictate an infielder. Obviously he's off to a sensational start at Norfolk, but he's not really striking out too. The flip side is that he's yet to draw a walk. 

Age and 40 man makes me believe he'll be up sooner rather than later.

It's impossible to answer because a lot depends on injury. Injuries aside, the answer is Holliday. It appears he's ahead of Mayo in the eyes of the front office and there is a clearer path for an infielder with Urias going to the bench and Kemp getting bumped off the roster. Right now, the team is struggling to find ABs for Cowser. Adding Stowers or Kjerstad to the mix just complicates things further UNLESS there is an injury to O'Hearn or one of the OFers. 

On 4/4/2024 at 11:00 AM, TopGunnar said:

I’d do something with Urias. And immediately call up Coby Mayo. Coby Mayo is in Gunnar Henderson territory of ascending through the minors. He’s a stud 

I agree with Mayo. If you're going to bring up one of the kids, you need a starting job for him. I think Westburg will eventually transition to being a great utility infielder when Holiday ascends. And Urius is a slick fielding backup who will be very valuable in that backup role. But he might not be a big enough bat to be the starting 3rd baseman on a WS winner. Anyone disagree?  So add Mayo's bat at 3rd base and, if he keeps hitting, we roll! 

In Mayo we trust! And free Stowers and Norby. They could be everyday players on 10 teams and adding wins for them. SET THEM FREE! And bring us a stud SP in high A or AA.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:41 AM, dystopia said:

I doubt O’Hearn is going anywhere soon unless he gets traded. His 2nd half numbers were still very solid and by mid-May I’d expect him to have a .750 OPS or so. 

He’s become a solid bat after the O’s revamped his swing and MLB eliminated the shift. 

I'd look at it that he has the least amount of positional flexibility and track record, which is why I could see him traded mid season if he is still seeing a decent amount of AB and hitting well. He's not really an OF and not particularly great defensively at 1B. Hays defense probably keeps him around. Kemp will be gone soon for Holliday or Norby.

27 minutes ago, Os Fever said:

I agree with Mayo. If you're going to bring up one of the kids, you need a starting job for him. I think Westburg will eventually transition to being a great utility infielder when Holiday ascends. And Urius is a slick fielding backup who will be very valuable in that backup role. But he might not be a big enough bat to be the starting 3rd baseman on a WS winner. Anyone disagree?  So add Mayo's bat at 3rd base and, if he keeps hitting, we roll! 

In Mayo we trust! And free Stowers and Norby. They could be everyday players on 10 teams and adding wins for them. SET THEM FREE! And bring us a stud SP in high A or AA.

Mayo has been terrible with the glove at 3rd.  That's what's holding him up.  

On 4/4/2024 at 8:17 AM, EdwinRip said:

Holliday is the easy answer and it’s not even close, barring injury.  Kemp can easily be released to make room for him.  I ask again….without injury, who is leaving this team anytime soon?  I just don’t see them releasing Urias, O’hearn, Mateo, and especially not Hays.  They also have very little trade value. If Holliday comes up for Kemp, then you have Cowser, Mateo, McCann, Urias as your bench.  I could see other moves as we get into May, but can’t see anyone but Holliday before then.

Agreed, Holliday should absolutely be the next guy up.  Regarding Hays, he may have already become a platoon player in favor of Cowser against right-handers.

I agree they won't release Urias, unless Mayo shows he can handle 3B.  They'll try to trade Urias eventually, unless they end up trading Westburg as part of a package for a top pitcher.  A trade of Mayo for a top player seems very unlikely but perhaps possible if he shows no improvement in his defense.

I don't see how Kjerstad or Stowers gets promoted as long as Santander and/or O'Hearn are on the team. 

Norby is the wildcard that could replace any of Hays/Urias/Mateo -- except he's perceived a strong bat, not quite as strong glove kind of player.  Seems like he'll either get traded or eventually replace one of those three.