Brandon Hyde 2024

2 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I don't know how many of you here are Ravens fans but I cant get last night's game out of my head. It's a similar feeling (on a difference scale) to the bonehead decisions our coaches made in the AFC Championship Game.

Hyde made some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen in a very winnable game. I don't care what analytics say, in certain situations you go by your gut and your brain. Holliday and Cowser are our hottest hitters, you leave them in to be heroes. Burch Smith should have been left in, he was pitching well and only gave up a soft single to Vlad. And then you bring in Soto of all people? And you leave him in even though he has NOTHING? Why??

Sometimes I literally wonder if Elias is in Hyde's ear saying "I traded for this guy, USE HIM". 

Did not watch the end of game because to aggravated after Soto let in 5. Smith got 2 quick and lazy fly ball to Vlad.If youre going to match up and you lose Horwitz now you on the wrong side of the matchup and why was there nobody warming up behind? Could possible kept it 3 runs. If the 8th was as bad as poeple are saying, its games like this that could get him dismissed

4 hours ago, dystopia said:

The question is were these PHing decisions Hyde’s or the front office’s/Sigbot’s… because if it’s the latter we got much bigger problems. 

The Orioles have the highest pinch hitting BA in the major leagues (.370), by a very wide margin (second is .297).   They also have the 3rd highest OPS, at .935 (.150 above the 4th place team).  Whoever has been making the decisions, in general they have done a very good job, regardless of what you or I think of last night’s decisions.   

57 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I disagree whole heartedly with the pinch hitting decisions last night. But AAA lefties are not MLB lefties so its hard to use AAA splits when it comes to R/L in my opinion. With that said- its hard to accumulate MLB splits when your manager doesn't let you hit against lefties. I generally think Hyde gets too much unwarranted criticism around here, but that 8th inning was inexcusably bad. Probably should have let all three original hitters hit, or pinch hit Slater for Urias only. Maybe that wouldnt have worked out as well, but I'd certainly rather roll with Holliday and Cowser. Just an overall awful day for the Orioles:

- Grayson probably done for the year

- Wasted an amazing last minute performance from Suarez

- Absolute bullpen blunder to blow the game from Soto (questionable to put him in, but I can see why, and its on Soto to get a damn lefty out in that situation)

- Ridiculous 8th inning pinch hit decisions/overmanaging

- Lose to a team who is basically tanking with rookies and replacement level players

- Bullpen now fried for tomorrow

- Fall out of first place officially after barely holding on for so long

- Now only 5 up on the Red Sox

- Trevor Rogers today

- Chayse McDermott done for the year as well

What did I miss? Could use a big win today in the worst way. I thought this week would be a great opportunity to continue to build the good vibed back. Blue Jays and Rays and Nats back to back to back. HAVE to take advantage. 

Pen is not fried. Everyone but Soto will be available. 

It was a bad night but there are 48 games left. 

3 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I don't know how many of you here are Ravens fans but I cant get last night's game out of my head. It's a similar feeling (on a difference scale) to the bonehead decisions our coaches made in the AFC Championship Game.

Hyde made some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen in a very winnable game. I don't care what analytics say, in certain situations you go by your gut and your brain. Holliday and Cowser are our hottest hitters, you leave them in to be heroes. Burch Smith should have been left in, he was pitching well and only gave up a soft single to Vlad. And then you bring in Soto of all people? And you leave him in even though he has NOTHING? Why??

Sometimes I literally wonder if Elias is in Hyde's ear saying "I traded for this guy, USE HIM". 

Last night was incredibly frustrating, first Grayson, then the Soto implosion and finally the 8th inning pinch hitting decisions.

I can't help but wonder if the issue is the opposite of what you stated.  I wonder if Hyde didn't get what he wanted from Elias at the trade deadline.  Hyde probably wanted more reliable bullpen help, so in a big situation he puts Soto in to show Elias he isn't the guy he wanted.  Or maybe Hyde wanted a better veteran RH OF so he pinch hit Slater for Holliday.

I don't know, those decisions last night were baffling and maybe I am just grasping for straws trying to figure out what in the world was going on in Hyde's head making those decisions.

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Did not watch the end of game because to aggravated after Soto let in 5. Smith got 2 quick and lazy fly ball to Vlad.If youre going to match up and you lose Horwitz now you on the wrong side of the matchup and why was there nobody warming up behind? Could possible kept it 3 runs. If the 8th was as bad as poeple are saying, its games like this that could get him dismissed

Yeah knowing how bad Soto has been, it’s unfathomable that after giving up a 3-run homer and letting 2 more guys on base that he’s still in the game pitching. A reliever should never be allowed to give up more ER than the minimum batters he needs to face

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Last night was incredibly frustrating, first Grayson, then the Soto implosion and finally the 8th inning pinch hitting decisions.

I can't help but wonder if the issue is the opposite of what you stated.  I wonder if Hyde didn't get what he wanted from Elias at the trade deadline.  Hyde probably wanted more reliable bullpen help, so in a big situation he puts Soto in to show Elias he isn't the guy he wanted.  Or maybe Hyde wanted a better veteran RH OF so he pinch hit Slater for Holliday.

I don't know, those decisions last night were baffling and maybe I am just grasping for straws trying to figure out what in the world was going on in Hyde's head making those decisions.

That seems like a pretty quick way to lose your job. I doubt Hyde did something like that. 

Can we all agree that playing both Mounty & Eloy vs RH starters is a bad idea going forward? I don’t love having neither of those guys available to pinch hit against lefties even if they both have good #s against the starter. It just leaves our lineup exposed late in the game

54 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Darrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryl...... Darrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryl........

"You're Darryl Strawberry."

"Yes."

"You play right field."

"Yes."

"I play right field too."

"So?"

"Well are you better than me?"

"I don't know you but...yes."

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Pen is not fried. Everyone but Soto will be available. 

It was a bad night but there are 48 games left. 

Probably true, although u doubt Kimbrel would be available. But still used a lot of guys that we otherwise shouldn’t have had to use

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles have the highest pinch hitting BA in the major leagues (.370), by a very wide margin (second is .297).   They also have the 3rd highest OPS, at .935 (.150 above the 4th place team).  Whoever has been making the decisions, in general they have done a very good job, regardless of what you or I think of last night’s decisions.   

It's like Frobby makes a really good point but everyone ignores it cause they don't like it.