Brandon Hyde 2024

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I asked you a question.

Heck you can have all the other teams Buck managed as well.

I am not going to argue with you about Buck.  He did more with less talent than almost any manager I have ever seen.

The only one possibly better?  Earl Weaver.  Who you apparently also think sucks.  Which imo?  Is sacrilegious and should result in an immediate ban.  Not from the mods here.  But for your own personal sanity and morals.  A self ban. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am not going to argue with you about Buck.  He did more with less talent than almost any manager I have ever seen.

The only one possibly better?  Earl Weaver.  Who you apparently also think sucks.  Which imo?  Is sacrilegious and should result in an immediate ban.  Not from the mods here.  But for your own personal sanity and morals.  A self ban. 

I know reading isn't your strong point but I literally said that Earl was great.

Buck also lost more than he won and wasn't better than Davey Johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I find it ironic that you are citing Earl as an example of a “seat of his pants” manager, when he was one of the very first to use data in his managing.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Buck took a ragtag 2012 O's team to the playoffs. Not many could have done that.

He did.

He also managed to lose 115 games with some pretty talented players in 2018.

Bucks' got a career winning percentage of .509.  That seems about right to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say if they were or were not great managers.

I asked how many rings they won as manager.

For the record.  Earl was great, but should have stayed retired.

Buck is hugely overrated.

Ok.  Since you and others are so dead set on the thought process that Hyde can take the Os to one WS championship and beyond...please explain to me using facts, or at least opinions with facts backing that opinion up.  Why that is so?

What do you see in him that makes you so sure he is the man to lead our beloved Os to the promised land?

11 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Buck took a ragtag 2012 O's team to the playoffs. Not many could have done that.

That doesn't mean much here to some.  

We know the guy was great.  Turned the franchise around.  But some?  Just don't think that way. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Ok.  Since you and others are so dead set on the thought process that Hyde can take the Os to one WS championship and beyond...please explain to me using facts, or at least opinions with facts backing that opinion up.  Why that is so?

What do you see in him that makes you so sure he is the man to lead our beloved Os to the promised land?

Can you go ahead and show me where I have ever stated that Hyde can take the O's to a WS Championship?

Frankly I don't think the manager makes much of a difference the vast majority of the time.

Get to the playoffs and roll the dice.

I've never heard anyone wax poetic about Joe Altobelli.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

That doesn't mean much here to some.  

We know the guy was great.  Turned the franchise around.  But some?  Just don't think that way. 

And he gets no blame for 2018?

You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have:

The fact of life.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find it ironic that you are citing Earl as an example of a “seat of his pants” manager, when he was one of the very first to use data in his managing.  

He 100% did not play by the book.  He was a feels manager who also had a very set rotation of guys that he trusted and played based on his feels. 

I have actually met the man.  Have you?  I sat with him and talked with him for probably 30 minutes when I was 18 or so in Detroit when they were playing the Tigers.  We were staying at the Renascence center and he was having breakfast there when we were. 

The one thing that always stuck out to me was his comment saying "always trust your gut..and I have a big one so I do".

I never forgot that. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Joe Altobelli won one in 1983, and managed beyond, and I believe that is fact.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He did.

He also managed to lose 115 games with some pretty talented players in 2018.

Bucks' got a career winning percentage of .509.  That seems about right to me.

That 2018 was a disaster beset by controversy, players in massive decline, and a GM who had given up and was way above his head. 

If you blame that on Buck I have no idea what to say other than again.....self ban yourself.

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He 100% did not play by the book.  He was a feels manager who also had a very set rotation of guys that he trusted and played based on his feels. 

I have actually met the man.  Have you?  I sat with him and talked with him for probably 30 minutes when I was 18 or so in Detroit when they were playing the Tigers.  We were staying at the Renascence center and he was having breakfast there when we were. 

The one thing that always stuck out to me was his comment saying "always trust your guyt..and I have a big one so I do".

I never forgot that. 

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Strategy-Classic-Managing-Baseball/dp/1574884247