Brandon Hyde 2024

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The same Buck Showalter that the manager of an expansion team?

The same Buck Showalter that took over an O's team that was well under .500 in 2010?

I would think that an ALL IN win now manager would have, you know, WON at some point.

You know what Buck's winning percentage in the playoffs is?

Reveal hidden contents

What happened when Buck took over the team as soon as he became manager?

Perreridge Farms remembers.

They WON. 

2 minutes ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

Isn’t the young guys playing “horrible fundamental baseball” more of an indictment of bad “grooming” while they were in the minors?

Yes I agree it is an overall lackadaisical approach to defensive baseball throughout the organization.  But let's face it, Hyde is the final guy when it comes to practice and fundamentals with the MLB team. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Spurs have had the same coach since '97.

Most of his roster probably wasn't born when he got the job.

And they have sucked for the past how many years?

That guy is an idiot.  So is Kerr.  Who also has not won in years. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't disagree.

I just don't see reasoning behind the near deification of Buck that some folks have.

Is 2012 all that much more impressive than Hyde's 2022?  Buck's team won 24 more games.  Hyde's won 31 more.

I hate agreeing with you, you know; but Buck had a big hand in the demise of the late 201-'s teams.  His love of vets and even at rental status was not good for the long term.  But, they were trying to win when opportunity struck.  I don't think it's the same today.

Our outlook is much better in the minors.  We were trading guys that hadn't even made a real impact with control like Rodriguez to the RedSox for rentals.  This was not smart and I hope they don't ever go back to that.

As a kid of the 70's- 80's, there was often more impact of a farm hand coming up in July/August than any trade I can remember.  I'd be more happy with that.

I don't even think what we are going thru now is even a Hyde thing...

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you go ahead and show me where I have ever stated that Hyde can take the O's to a WS Championship?

Frankly I don't think the manager makes much of a difference the vast majority of the time.

Get to the playoffs and roll the dice.

I've never heard anyone wax poetic about Joe Altobelli.

You're right.  I don't think EBW was waxing poetic when he called Altobelli a cement head.

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I don't think Hyde is a bad manager at all.   He is ok and what the Os needed during their suck for #1 period.

But now?  Now that they are good?  He is not the manager to take them to the next level and I have said this for a quite a while now.  Well before what happened yesterday.  He has no instinct for the game.  No feel.  You might as well let a computer manage the team because he manages the same way.  By the book and with no emotion. 

On top of that he has his team playing very poor fundamental baseball.  And I don't care how bad the talent level is, you can always play "the right way".  The Os do not.  That is 100% on coaching.

He's gotta go.

This is saying a lot without saying anything. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again.....

Since you and others are so dead set on the thought process that Hyde can take the Os to one WS championship and beyond...please explain to me using facts, or at least opinions with facts backing that opinion up.  Why that is so?

What do you see in him that makes you so sure he is the man to lead our beloved Os to the promised land?

Please respond.

28 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again.....

Since you and others are so dead set on the thought process that Hyde can take the Os to one WS championship and beyond...please explain to me using facts, or at least opinions with facts backing that opinion up.  Why that is so?

What do you see in him that makes you so sure he is the man to lead our beloved Os to the promised land?

Please respond.

I did, you did not respond back

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The 2011 team went 69-93.

Buck was the manager.

Not as soon as he took over.  They played much better from day 1 and next few years played WAY above their predicted won/loss %.

But you keep spinning your narrative.

Signed to a contract through the 2013 campaign, he inherited a ballclub with the worst record in the majors at 32–73.[28] In his debut as manager on August 3, the Orioles recorded a 6–3 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Oriole Park, leading to a three-game sweep.[29][30] The team's first-ever season series sweep of the Angels was completed by the end of the month.[31] The 2010 Orioles won 34 of 57 games played under Showalter, second only to the Phillies during the same stretch.[1]

Showalter managed the 1,000th victory of his major-league career in a 7–1 triumph at Yankee Stadium on May 1, 2012.[32] Showalter finished the 2012 season with a .574 winning percentage, winning 93 games, and ending a streak of losing seasons for the Orioles at 14.

Under Showalter, the Orioles reached the postseason for the first time since 1997, defeating the Texas Rangers in the Wild Card game on October 5, 2012. The Orioles were later defeated by the New York Yankees in the 2012 American League Division Series, 3 games to 2. Showalter was named the AL Manager of the Year by The Sporting News.[33] He was re-signed through 2018 with the Orioles.[34]

After finishing out of playoff contention in the 2013 season, Showalter led the 2014 Orioles to the AL East title—the franchise's first in 17 years. The Orioles subsequently swept the Detroit Tigers (3–0) in the ALDS for Showalter's first major league ALDS title, before being swept themselves (4–0) by the Kansas City Royals in the ALCS.

On November 11, 2014, Showalter won his third AL Manager of the Year award, his first since 2004.[35]

But I know....according to you?  He sucks. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

And they have sucked for the past how many years?

That guy is an idiot.  So is Kerr.  Who also has not won in years. 

HE'S GOT FIVE RINGS.

Kerr has FOUR RINGS.

Kerr won in 21-22.

I don't even watch basketball and I know this.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

HE'S GOT FIVE RINGS.

Kerr has FOUR RINGS.

Kerr won in 21-22.

I don't even watch basketball and I know this.

Years and years ago.  Not now.  One had David Robinson and Tim Duncan.  The other had Steph and Klay.

There were fine coaches.  But time has passed them by.  So have many other things which I won't go into. 

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You have said nothing about the merits of Brandon Hyde.  Zip.  I want facts about why he is so good. 

OK he has more qualifications than Altobelli did. Pre 1983 no division titles no playoffs, he was 3B coach the year before, and I believe those are Facts.