4/11 @ Boston

ArtVanDelay

2 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Dang,  I loved Jim Rice when I was a kid.  Sometimes it's best not to hear our heroes speak.  

I've listened to that Red Sox crew before.  They are an arrogant bunch.  Yesterday, their radio guys mentioned Holliday's debut calling it obvious service time manipulation.   Whatever losers.

And yet he’s up in time to get the full year of service.

5 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He retired before I was born but I don’t understand how he made it into the Hall of Fame.  Maybe I missed something. 

I think money changed hands.  He does not really have the stats.

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Didnt Jim Rice take a million years to get into the hall of fame?  

That's kind of like saying "didn't it take you forty years to make your first million?" 

I was happy for him to get into the HOF. He was a feared hitter and I dreaded him coming to bat when I followed the O's on the radio in the 70s. He was in the top five in MVP voting six times, won it once. He was only 2nd in ROY because his teammate Fred Lynn had such a monster rookie year. He was in simple terms, a stud hitter. Averaged 30 HRs a year for his career and RBI over 100. 

• Thanks 1

It stings to lose games in the late innings. In particular when unusual events or silly mistakes happen in the lead up to the critical moment.  I can understand why Red Sox fans are frustrated.  And I hope their misery continues for another decade.  Only thing better would be for it to happen to the Skanks.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, NashLumber said:

That's kind of like saying "didn't it take you forty years to make your first million?" 

I was happy for him to get into the HOF. He was a feared hitter and I dreaded him coming to bat when I followed the O's on the radio in the 70s. He was in the top five in MVP voting six times, won it once. He was only 2nd in ROY because his teammate Fred Lynn had such a monster rookie year. He was in simple terms, a stud hitter. Averaged 30 HRs a year for his career and RBI over 100. 

I concur--once the great Yaz years were done, Rice was the hitter in the Boston lineup I dreaded the most.

Edited by LA2
  • Thanks 1