Carter Young 2024

casadeozo

What happened to this kid? 

He was once considered a possible first round pick. Then had a down final year at Vanderbilt, and we took a late round flyer on him along with a very large offer to entice him to sign.

0-15 so far while repeating Single A, after hitting in the low 200s last year.

curious on any insight anyone may have. 

Edited by casadeozo

The O’s were going to “lose” the money used to sign him as he was the last remaining unsigned player in his draft year, but yeah…pretty disappointing so far. He didn’t look like he had any special tools when I saw him play in spring training this year. 

Lottery ticket that isn’t working out.  I am afraid that Bradfield might work out simirly in terms of his hitting.  If these big time programs can’t develop these guys, it seems it’s likely they won’t develop. 

51 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Lottery ticket that isn’t working out.  I am afraid that Bradfield might work out simirly in terms of his hitting.  If these big time programs can’t develop these guys, it seems it’s likely they won’t develop. 

Bradfield has a .462 OBP so far in the minors. Not sure where the heck you are getting that comp.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, yark14 said:

Bradfield has a .462 OBP so far in the minors. Not sure where the heck you are getting that comp.

He has virtually no power.  He is going to have to have some to likely survive in the MLB because they will just challenge him.  His OBP is likely largely a result of having a very good eye with very erratic pitchers.  

15 hours ago, baltfan said:

This makes almost no sense. I mean both were SEC guys who went to Vanderbilt but the similarities stop at that point. Young's claim to fame was an excellent shortened 2020 when he was a freshman. He played 18 games that year. 

He then played 61 and 56 games at Vandy the next two years. The best he could do at the plate was .253/.344/.559 as a sophomore 2021. When he had 16 HRs and 15 2Bs. It was that year in May that he hurt his shoulder on a head-first slide into second. He ended up with shoulder surgery after the season and has never been the same player since. 

Bradfield played 3 full seasons of 67, 62 and 62 games. His stat lines are:

2021:   .336/.441/.414 

2022:   .317/.415/.498 with 8 HRs, 10 2Bs and 5 3Bs

2023:   .279/.410/.429 with 6 HRs, 13 2Bs and 2 3Bs

During those 3 years he stole 47, 46 and 37 bags. 

Young was planning to leave Vandy at the end of 2022 and transfer to LSU. At the time of his signing with Baltimore he was not considered one of Tim Corbin's top players. He was drafted in the 17th round, as an overslot pick. Many would say a "lottery ticket."

Bradfield is a Vanderbilt Baseball icon. He was a human highlight reel in CF. The folks in Nashville still talk about some of the plays he made. He was drafted in the first round (17th player overall). Time will tell on his eventual place in MLB. 

My point is that they are very different players with very different pedigrees and injury histories. I'm not sure there is much relevance to comparing them. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

This makes almost no sense. I mean both were SEC guys who went to Vanderbilt but the similarities stop at that point. Young's claim to fame was an excellent shortened 2020 when he was a freshman. He played 18 games that year. 

He then played 61 and 56 games at Vandy the next two years. The best he could do at the plate was .253/.344/.559 as a sophomore 2021. When he had 16 HRs and 15 2Bs. It was that year in May that he hurt his shoulder on a head-first slide into second. He ended up with shoulder surgery after the season and has never been the same player since. 

Bradfield played 3 full seasons of 67, 62 and 62 games. His stat lines are:

2021:   .336/.441/.414 

2022:   .317/.415/.498 with 8 HRs, 10 2Bs and 5 3Bs

2023:   .279/.410/.429 with 6 HRs, 13 2Bs and 2 3Bs

During those 3 years he stole 47, 46 and 37 bags. 

Young was planning to leave Vandy at the end of 2022 and transfer to LSU. At the time of his signing with Baltimore he was not considered one of Tim Corbin's top players. He was drafted in the 17th round, as an overslot pick. Many would say a "lottery ticket."

Bradfield is a Vanderbilt Baseball icon. He was a human highlight reel in CF. The folks in Nashville still talk about some of the plays he made. He was drafted in the first round (17th player overall). Time will tell on his eventual place in MLB. 

My point is that they are very different players with very different pedigrees and injury histories. I'm not sure there is much relevance to comparing them. 

Both were very promising their freshman years and then became worse every year thereafter. Both after their freshman years were being touted as potential #1 overall picks.