Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cool.

Still don't want to give him a QO.

and he wont get one. This is Santander's final year as an Oriole. He played well for most of his time here. And he should cash his chips and make a lot of money somewhere else.Bless him. He earned it.

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

and he wont get one. This is Santander's final year as an Oriole. He played well for most of his time here. And he should cash his chips and make a lot of money somewhere else.Bless him. He earned it.

In agreement.  Not sure why @Can_of_corn rehashing the QO debate.  Let’s be happy that Tony is having another solid year for our birds and contributing to the ALEast race.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cool.

Still don't want to give him a QO.

It depends on how he finishes the year.  30 homeruns and an 800ish OPS isn't as easy to find as it once was. 

Offense could be at a premium this off season. 

7 minutes ago, Say O! said:

In agreement.  Not sure why @Can_of_corn rehashing the QO debate.  Let’s be happy that Tony is having another solid year for our birds and contributing to the ALEast race.

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It depends on how he finishes the year.  30 homeruns and an 800ish OPS isn't as easy to find as it once was. 

Offense could be at a premium this off season. 

And that's why I mentioned it.  Because someone was going to support the idea.

How vital is Santander to a title run?  

Should the Os trade him to get value back or should they just keep him and be ok that he walks for nothing? (Assuming they let him walk, which I guess they may not)

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Should the Os trade him to get value back or should they just keep him and be ok that he walks for nothing? (Assuming they let him walk, which I guess they may not)

He's more valuable than what they would get in return

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Tony Taters now up to 125 wRC+ on the year and just a tick higher than his prior levels.  Even with his defense rating poorly again, Tony is heading for another 2-3 WAR season.  After a lot of worry to start the season, glad to see Tony get back to his normal production.

I never had a doubt he’d get back to roughly where he’s been the last two years.  I think the decision on whether to give him a QO is going to be very interesting.  I’m leaning yes if 2024 continues to line up with 2022-23.

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He's more valuable than what they would get in return

I’m not sure this is definitively true and certainly not 100% but I do think it’s more likely than not that this is true.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure this is definitively true and certainly not 100% but I do think it’s more likely than not that this is true.

You aren't getting a bullpen piece that will help this season for him because nobody that would be interested in him would be willing to give that up. Maybe you get do get a decent prospect with a chance to be a major league piece - but those are always uncertain and probably a couple years away.

You're not getting much for Tony because he's a pending FA and selling teams don't need his services this year. It would have to be a contender for contender swap, and that's pretty rare, and what contender is giving up good pitching for offense? Especially when that offense doesn't come with much defense? 

Tony is valuable right where he is as a middle of the order bat on the 2024 Orioles. 

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t envision Elias trading from the ML roster during the season. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trading your switch hitting 126 OPS+ #4 hitter in the midst of a pennant run would be unusual. He might not be critical but if we are trying to win this year you would ideally trade other assets, unless you thought Santander was blocking someone who would be immediately more productive. If we are to trade a DH/OF just to make space, I'd rather trade O'Hearn who hits RHP only and hurts our defense even more than Santander when he plays. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You aren't getting a bullpen piece that will help this season for him because nobody that would be interested in him would be willing to give that up. Maybe you get do get a decent prospect with a chance to be a major league piece - but those are always uncertain and probably a couple years away.

Well I disagree with your first part.  I think that’s possible.  Someone who likes the depth of their pen but needs offense could certainly do that.

That being said, I also don’t see why a ML ready prospect that you could put in the pen now isn’t something you can’t get.