Cal Ripken Commercial, not teasing Gunnar extension...wow

LookinUp

What even is the point to rank players from completely different eras?  Why not just appreciate all of the great players?

I'll be singing kumbaya by the campfire if anyone wants to join.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, yark14 said:

What even is the point to rank players from completely different eras?  

Because YOUR GUY has to be the BEST OF ALL TIME.  Because you spent most of your childhood rooting for YOUR GUY on YOUR TEAM and those young punk-asses growing up after you just don't know any better.  They can't comprehend anything before they were born because they've got their faces in their phones on the Instagram and the Tik Tok and they just don't know any better.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Malike said:

The whole comment stemmed from someone on the broadcast saying Beltre was an underrated 3B and Ripken then made his comment stating he wasn't and then all hell broke loose. It sort of feels like the people who despise Mussina for leaving for NYY after he gave the team 1 team friendly deal then wanted market value but Angelos wasn't paying 10M a year for a pitcher so he walked. I don't hate Mussina for that, he would have been a lifetime Oriole if they weren't cheap.

Oh I’ll always hate Mussina for going to the Yankees just out of principle, no matter what the reason. You’re probably right that it was just about Angelos being cheap though. If it would have been any other team than the Yankees, I’d probably feel a lot different. I don’t think there are many things I hate more than the Yankees. 

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Try to not hurt yourself getting off that high horse you like to put yourself on.

Its an absurd thought that this is somehow degrading Brooks or that he was saying something slanderous about him. 

Haha. I don't expect you to understand respect, honor, and loyalty. 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Malike said:

I believe they use TZ, It's not perfect and no one should be claiming it is. But in broad strokes, we can be pretty confident that Ozzie Smith and Brooks Robinson were incredible fielders, that Greg Luzinski should have never been allowed to put on a glove, and that Dave Winfield was very overrated in the field.

Edit: got the source from the interwebs but I can't link to it from my phone, I thought I could.

Link

This was the exact quote that I found, ""Yeah, I don't see how he can be underrated. [laughs] All of us who played the game look at him and want to bow down to him," Ripken said Tuesday while on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM. "I said on one of my early broadcasts, I said my hero was Brooks Robinson, but the way that Adrian Beltre plays -- and I'll get in trouble with Baltimore fans, again -- but it seems like Beltre might be the best third baseman to ever play."

He knew he would get in trouble with Orioles fans when he said it, but still said it. He went on to try to say different eras, blah, blah, blah, but he could have said Beltre is the best he's seen in this era, he could have said Beltre has better tools than Brooks, but he didn't. He was talking defense and said Beltre "might be the best third baseman to ever play."

Statistically speaking, it's not even close between Brooks and Beltre. If he wanted to talk tools, Machado had better tools than Beltre. I'm not taking anything away from Beltre being a great third baseman, but if you're an Orioles legend, you don't say that another player is better than the other Orioles legend that was known be EVERYONE as the best defensive third baseman to play the game.

The fact that Ripken would bring this up to shows that he was more worried about himself looking like an "impartial" analyst then understanding his role as a Baltimore Orioles legend.

This me-first attitude is exactly why he hurt the Orioles by playing everyday long past he should have. Cal has always been about Cal. Throwing Brooks under the bus was just him showing his true colors.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He was speaking specifically about defense when he said that.

I’m guessing you are crying over nothing and completely misread and misunderstood what he said.  Your interpretation of things is probably way off and judging by the actual comment, I’m right.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Doesn’t Cal Ripken deserve any of those things?   

Not in this case.

Look, I don't "hate" Cal. I don't hate anyone over a comment about baseball.

I just personally lost respect for him for saying what he said. The fact that he knew it was wrong when he said that he knew "Baltimore fans" would be upset, tells me he knew what he was saying but said it anyways.

I just have a very strong opinion of loyalty when you are part of a brand. Maybe it's just because Cal was a terrible analyst and didn't know how to verbally explain the difference of eras, but he just didn't need to bring up Brooks at all to give Beltre his props.

On the field, while Brooks was a good offensive player for many years, he was known as THE best defensive third baseman ever. Few ever argued that point. 

To have another Orioles legend question that to make a point on a national broadcast when it was completely unnecessary is why I have a major issue with him.

I don't have an issue with anyone who doesn't have a problem with him. Just my opinion. And with that, I'm done with this subject.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m guessing you are crying over nothing and completely misread and misunderstood what he said.  Your interpretation of things is probably way off and judging by the actual comment, I’m right.

Weird, you think you are right and every other opinion is "crying". That's just so crazy coming from a humble, self-aware person like yourself. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Weird, you think you are right and every other opinion is "crying". That's just so crazy coming from a humble, self-aware person like yourself. 

No,  I think YOUR opinion on this subject is crying and it’s a baseless opinion that isn’t backed up by what he actually said.

And you talking about someone being humble is hilarious. 

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t have a problem with the substance of what Ripken said, it was just dumb of him to say it.   

Can we get back to the promo?

I finally had a chance to watch it. I'm kinda lost on how anyone would have taken that to mean an extension is coming. I thought it was a clever promo.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I finally had a chance to watch it. I'm kinda lost on how anyone would have taken that to mean an extension is coming. I thought it was a clever promo.

I think it was the tweet about the ad, not the ad itself, that got some Kremlinologists speculating about Gunnar.  But it was baseless.