Cal Ripken Commercial, not teasing Gunnar extension...wow

LookinUp

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Not upset about but also not going to watch the commercial. Rubenstein seems to like the spotlight.

He does have a podcast or some regular tv spot, doesn’t he?    So, he’s not opposed to the spotlight.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've put too much effort into this.

Boomers- Beatles

X- Star Wars

Millennials- Harry Potter

Not sure what it will be for Z.

Taylor Swift, God help us.

At least she supplanted Justin Bieber.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

0.1% of the sale cost is still $1,725,000.    I doubt Demper has that kind of money lying around the house.

Might have to crowd fund him.  Homer hose night at the local bar.  But with beer instead of water. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I don't care, particularly, whose idea it was. People will cater to him like this and Rubenstein is going to use him like a promo tool because he thinks it will be effective at drawing back fans. Personally, I like my modern Orioles without the specter of Cal. It's fine if he's part owner, but between the #7 thing and this fakeout, coupled with the Brooks slander on national TV, the cheapness with the IronBirds... no thanks. 

What Brooks slander?  I haven't heard/read about this.

Edited by Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

What Brooks slander?  I haven't heard/read about this.

He said, while broadcasting the O's-Yankees ALDS in 2012, that he thought Adrian Beltre was a better third baseman than Brooks Robinson. Not sure if it's correct but I never found it that slanderous. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

He said, while broadcasting the O's-Yankees ALDS in 2012, that he thought Adrian Beltre was a better third baseman than Brooks Robinson. Not sure if it's correct but I never found it that slanderous. 

Ah.  Hadn't seen that before.  Well, it's not slanderous in the least.  It comes off as blasphemy to some O's fans 😆, but Cal, like everyone, is entitled to his opinions.  I wonder if the comment was regarding defense alone?  He may be right.  Hard to know... as both were great.

I like the promo. It's amusing.

What's also amusing is how many people project/speculate their wishes and hopes onto something they don't even know what is. I saw the same thing happening in the Holliday thread when aome people were posting they actually believed he could get an extension getting called up.

Hate to tell those guys, but that's premature wishful thinking and it would be best to wait and gather more information about what reality looks like before jumping to conclusions.

The speculation before this promo was released is a good example of that. 

I find it to be a fun, light hearted, and entertaining promo. I really like it.

This is a typical OH thread LOL..

I know Cal has had a bit of controversy around him over the years especially w/ the streak, his special travel arrangements toward the end of his career, and his divorce. But I generally have always liked the guy. He's not on the Brooks level, but I don't get the hate he's getting over the commercial.

Also, I have NO clue how what DR tweeted in anyway could have been perceived as giving GH an extension. Utter stupidity from 105.7.

I thought the commercial was pretty good especially to pull in the non-hard core fans.

I am going to wait till next off season and if DR hasn't started spending $$ by then on extensions then I'll start to be upset.

13 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

This is a typical OH thread LOL..

I know Cal has had a bit of controversy around him over the years especially w/ the streak, his special travel arrangements toward the end of his career, and his divorce. But I generally have always liked the guy. He's not on the Brooks level, but I don't get the hate he's getting over the commercial.

Also, I have NO clue how what DR tweeted in anyway could have been perceived as giving GH an extension. Utter stupidity from 105.7.

I thought the commercial was pretty good especially to pull in the non-hard core fans.

I am going to wait till next off season and if DR hasn't started spending $$ by then on extensions then I'll start to be upset.

I agree 100%. 

I also think Cal has spoiled Orioles fans with how available he has always made himself for autographs over his career and lifetime. He's always treated fans good.

Brooks might be the standard but Cal has carried on that tradition in his own regard. And he can be regarded as great.