Cal Ripken Commercial, not teasing Gunnar extension...wow

LookinUp

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Ah.  Hadn't seen that before.  Well, it's not slanderous in the least.  It comes off as blasphemy to some O's fans 😆, but Cal, like everyone, is entitled to his opinions.  I wonder if the comment was regarding defense alone?  He may be right.  Hard to know... as both were great.

It was not only slanderous, but traitorous. He even said, "Sorry Brooksey" and then went about telling everyone on National TV that Beltre was the best DEFENSIVE third baseman of all time. Even if he believed that, you don't say that about Brooks Robinson and his 16 consecutive Gold Glove Awards. 

Cal is an Orioles legend, with that comes responsibility, and one of those things is to tarnish the legacy of other Orioles legends. If he had said Beltre was the best overall 3B that might be different, but defensive 3B? Heresy. 

To me, he stopped being someone I enjoyed. No one, and I mean no one should ever, ever say anything bad about Brooks Robinson. Cal tried to back up once he realized he stepped on it but I do think there's a segment of the population that won't forgive him for doing that in his short-lived (because he was terrible) analyst role.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It was not only slanderous, but traitorous. He even said, "Sorry Brooksey" and then went about telling everyone on National TV that Beltre was the best DEFENSIVE third baseman of all time. Even if he believed that, you don't say that about Brooks Robinson and his 16 consecutive Gold Glove Awards. 

Cal is an Orioles legend, with that comes responsibility, and one of those things is to tarnish the legacy of other Orioles legends. If he had said Beltre was the best overall 3B that might be different, but defensive 3B? Heresy. 

To me, he stopped being someone I enjoyed. No one, and I mean no one should ever, ever say anything bad about Brooks Robinson. Cal tried to back up once he realized he stepped on it but I do think there's a segment of the population that won't forgive him for doing that in his short-lived (because he was terrible) analyst role.

Good grief. I'm too young to have seen Brooks play, and I don't follow Beltre enough to comment, but for the life of me I can't see this type of rant being needed for the man just expressing his opinion in a commentary role. I just dug up a quick interview he did on it after the fact and it seems to be a reasonable position. Maybe it's not correct, but it seems like it's just his honest opinion. I don't know why he "owes" it to us to tell us differently if this is what he believes.

Edited by ThisIsBirdland
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Howbdoes one possibly come to that conclusion from this video?

Assuming this is in response to the interview I posted?

He's just saying the entire MLB is bigger, faster, stronger, and as such Beltre can do things defensively (physically) that Brooks couldn't do. I think we see that across most sports, and I guess I don't see that as being that controversial.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

How is saying Beltre is better defensively saying something bad about Brooks? 

42 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Assuming this is in response to the interview I posted?

He's just saying the entire MLB is bigger, faster, stronger, and as such Beltre can do things defensively (physically) that Brooks couldn't do. I think we see that across most sports, and I guess I don't see that as being that controversial.

Oh nah I’m talking about the cal commercial. I would never assume that they were teasing a Gunnar extension 

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Good grief. I'm too young to have seen Brooks play, and I don't follow Beltre enough to comment, but for the life of me I can't see this type of rant being needed for the man just expressing his opinion in a commentary role. I just dug up a quick interview he did on it after the fact and it seems to be a reasonable position. Maybe it's not correct, but it seems like it's just his honest opinion. I don't know why he "owes" it to us to tell us differently if this is what he believes.

Sorry, I just disagree. And it was not rant, it was me stating my opinion. You clearly must be too young to remember Brooks Robinson or have some kind fan love for Cal, but he made a comment he should have never have said. Ever. He knew it, and he never really apologized for it. Brooks was too big of man to be upset with Cal over the disrespect. I can appreciate that from him, but like Mu$$ina will always be Mu$$ina to me, Cal will always be a traitor for saying "Sorry Brooksey" and then saying some BS about Beltre being the best ever DEFENSIVELY. 

Cal's answer is this was complete BS. This is what annoys me more about him. He literally tried to come up with some BS about physicality. That's not what he said. He literally said, "Sorry Brooksey, Beltre is the best defensive third basman he'd ever seen."

He could have said Beltre has the best tools of any third baseman. He did not, then he doubles down in this interview and others trying to say some BS.

"Sorry Brooksey" is one of the most insulting things I've ever heard a legend of one team say to another Legend of the same organization. 

Oh, and add in his garbage ownership of the Ironbirds where he went a whole year with no announcer and a one camera video of Ironbird games and one of the worse fan experiences I ever had at a minor league game in 2021, and yeah, I'll pass on this legend.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How is saying Beltre is better defensively saying something bad about Brooks? 

Honestly I'm surprised that you would ever ask that. You know why and your old enough to know why it was disrespectful. Maybe you just don't care because honestly, no one ever really knows what you care about at times, but anyone that understands anything about respect knows one legend does not say someone is better at the ONE thing they were always known as being the best at. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Even that is a stretch, I'd go with Mike Schmidt as the best all around 3B he accumulated 20+ more fWAR than Beltre in less games played. Cal was trying too hard to look unbiased as a television analyst that he slandered Brooks for no good reason.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Brooks was too big of man to be upset with Cal over the disrespect.

Maybe Brooks just didn’t care.  

I think it’s a case of all three men (Brooks, Cal, Beltre) who are probably all extremely comfortable with their places in baseball history and something like that probably doesn’t matter to any of them. 

From what I’ve heard about Brooks, I don’t think he’d care. He might have even agreed. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Brooks just didn’t care.  

I think it’s a case of all three men (Brooks, Cal, Beltre) who are probably all extremely comfortable with their places in baseball history and something like that probably doesn’t matter to any of them. 

From what I’ve heard about Brooks, I don’t think he’d care. He might have even agreed. 

Brooks was way too much of a gentlemen and too humble to say anything otherwise.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Even that is a stretch, I'd go with Mike Schmidt as the best all around 3B he accumulated 20+ more fWAR than Beltre in less games played. Cal was trying too hard to look unbiased as a television analyst that he slandered Brooks for no good reason.

Ha, I agree. I didn't think Beltre is in that conversation either, but at least had he said "all-around" I would not have cared though I still would not have liked, "Sorry Brooksey."