More Impressive Start to their Career? Machado or Henderson?

Matt Bennett

Machado (207 games) vs. Henderson (202 games)

1. 7.5 bWAR vs. 8.0 bWAR

2. 912 PA vs. 835 PA

3. 239 hits vs. 194 hits

4. 21 HR vs. 38 HR

5. 97 RBI vs. 115 RBI

6. 8 SB's vs. 15 SB's

7. .279 BA vs. 259 BA

8. .309 OBP vs. 331 OBP

9. .435 SLG vs. .493 SLG

10. .744 OPS vs. .823 OPS

11. 101 OPS+ vs. 130 OPS+

12. All-Star + Gold Glove + MVP-9 vs. ROY + Silver Slugger + MVP-8

Henderson was clearly more advanced offensively upon debuting, but he was 13 months older. Machado was the more fluid defender I'd say. It's super close in my opinion.

Most of Manny’s value his first 3 seasons came from his amazing defense.  Gunnar’s a very good defender, but Manny was otherworldly for a while.  He didn’t really mature as a hitter until he’d been in the league for 2.3 seasons.  Gunnar’s been by far the better hitter early, but will he hit another gear in a year or two like Manny did?   Hard to know.  

I would say they are pretty close both in stats and eye/wow factor.   I would give the very very slight edge to Manny only because he made some plays in the field that were other worldly (Gunnar makes his fair share as well) and he was a year younger when he started.  Plus the team really got a boost from the very first game he played in.

But I mean it really is nitpicking.   To me it is like trying to decide who is better looking.  Megan Fox in her Prime or Kim Chaewon from Le Sserrafim.    Both are 10's in my eyes. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar. His bat is Elite. He’s on pace for about a 54HR/33 SB season right now. Machado was the better defender at 3B, but Manny could never hold down SS with consistency the way Gunnar has. 

Hard to say hiw Manny would have been as a SS if he’d played it right from the start in the majors.  Due to Hardy’s presence, he essentially played 3B for 5.3 seasons before ever getting a shot as full time SS.   By that time he’d lost some speed and range and was rusty at the ins and outs of SS.

If 2012-14 Hardy was on this team, Gunnar would be at 3B, watching Hardy win his three Gold Gloves.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• As I have always said the fact that the draft prospects go from metal bats to wooden bats is huge.  It would be like college basketball players playing with an 8 foot room then going to the NBA with the 10 foot rim.  Some guys can make the adjustment better than others and some look great with metal bats but then with the wooden bat the ball doesn’t come off the same.  The only time you see any of the college guys play with a wooden bat is in the cape cod or some other summer league showcase but there they are only getting 50 or so at bats at most and many of the guys that make a longer run in the NCAA tournament which goes into June opt out of a lot of summer ball.  Plus the draft is usually before many of the wooden leagues even get ramped up so you are trying to evaluate a guy with wooden bats from a year ago.  I understand the reasons for the metal to wooden bats but now with all the money MLB makes it wouldn’t be a terrible idea with putting some of that into college ball going wooden bats. 
    • It’s also a ripoff of the Presidents’ race the Nats run at their games.   I prefer the video screen version of the hot dog race.   And, it’s a travesty that mustard doesn’t win every time.  It’s the Michael Phelps of hot dog condiments, let’s not pretend like it’s really a competition.    
    • Woops. Maybe he should switch to LHP.
    • I was so excited to witness my first live hotdog race on Sunday. I even told my wife about it on the drive to the stadium. She wasn't that excited though. I have to say, what a massive letdown. They barely even covered any distance. They started around the ground crew dugout and didn't even get to where the tarp is rolled up down the 1st base line. It had to be less than 20 yards. And the race was terrible. I don't think there was a lead change or any bumping. It was all ketchup from gate to wire. I believe they are doing a few more of these this season. I hope they can make the track much longer to allow for more action to occur within the race.
    • Unless there's a trade offer that's too good to pass up, Mountcastle will be here next season, at least.  Have we any evidence that Mayo and/or Kjerstad can play a decent 1B?  Mounty has been very good defensively and this team could use his RHB, especially if most of the "older" guys, like Santander, Urias and Hays aren't here next season.  We'd only have Adley, Westburg and Mayo's rookie season, plus question marks like Mateo, Norby and maybe the backup C from the right side.  I can't see Elias adding an impact FA hitter either.  
    • Not necessarily.   They're both still in A+, a long way from the majors.   But it makes me nervous.   
  • Popular Contributors