Carlos Tavera 2024

Hank Scorpio

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Ho hum thus far for the kid but he was nails today…

5IP, 5K, 0BB, 1H, 54-43

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Ho hum thus far for the kid but he was nails today…

5IP, 5K, 0BB, 1H, 54-43

Two appearances ago on 4/17 he threw 4 perfect innings with 7 strikeouts.  Between today and that one probably his best since 2022.  Just need to see it more consistently.

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Two appearances ago on 4/17 he threw 4 perfect innings with 7 strikeouts.  Between today and that one probably his best since 2022.  Just need to see it more consistently.

The outing in between wasn’t too bad either, though not nearly as good as these two.  The real stinker was his first outing of the year where he allowed 5 runs (4 earned) in 1/3 of an inning.  Overall, it’s encouraging, but you’re right that we need to see more of it.  It’s probably this year or never for Tavera to show something.  He’s 25 years old already.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Being promoted to AAA today. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s interesting.   He’s been pretty good this year, but nothing amazing.  Seems like he’s being groomed as a long reliever, not something you see every day.  

I saw people speculate about a Povich callup in response to the Teheran signing. Thought that was a stretch, but this makes me a teensy bit more curious. Teheran + Tavera does make two additional long-outing pitchers at Norfolk, and I haven't heard about any of their pitchers getting hurt. 🤔

Tavera's issues are a lack of command and consistency. His change is still a plus pitch and at times he can sit mid-90s, but he just has struggled to find any kind of consistency in his professional career. 

He's an interesting arm, but I don't hold a ton of hope for him to turn into anything much unless he's a late bloomer.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I saw people speculate about a Povich callup in response to the Teheran signing. Thought that was a stretch, but this makes me a teensy bit more curious. Teheran + Tavera does make two additional long-outing pitchers at Norfolk, and I haven't heard about any of their pitchers getting hurt. 🤔

Stallings got traded and Zimmerman is on the IL.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...