Basallo for Miller y/n?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

This isn’t like the Erod trade, unless you’re factoring in the typical “position player>pitcher” argument. That point is valid, but I think you’re underestimating what Miller would give the team, which we need desperately right now. If he and Kimbrel shared 9th inning duties, they could factor into 120+ games.

And Miller is a first year guy too, we’d have him til 2029.

I doubt Oakland would be interested in Heston, who apparently isn’t even good enough to get into a game now.

I don't know if Oakland would do Miller for Kjerstad or not. I sort of doubt it, but that doesn't mean it isn't fair on paper.

I'd rather have 6-7 years of a LH hitting catcher who hits like a very good first baseman than 6 years of very good to excellent closer. It's easier to find the latter than the former by a lot.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree but you are showing your work and I respect that.

I think Miller would be worth a lot more to this O's team over the next few years than Kjerstad would be. 

Miller absolutely would be worth more to the O's. That doesn't diminish Kjerstad's value to Oakland.

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

Miller absolutely would be worth more to the O's. That doesn't diminish Kjerstad's value to Oakland.

I've never been a Kjerstad believer. 

I think he's best suited to DH and I'm not sure the bat is special enough.

• Upvote 1

Basallo is going to be worth more and more as time goes on. That would be really fun to have Miller and then next year Cano, Miller and Bautista. That would be a nasty back end. 

Just now, sevastras said:

Basallo is going to be worth more and more as time goes on. That would be really fun to have Miller and then next year Cano, Miller and Bautista. That would be a nasty back end. 

Maybe?

Let's be honest, he was hyped to the moon this offseason and that might be his peak.

We don't know he can stick at catcher.  We don't know if his elbow issue will resurface.

I agree that he's a fabulous prospect with a huge ceiling but he's not some stainless steel lock.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

After the initial sticker shock of trading Basallo, heck it might be worth it.  

Basallo is likely to be the # 1 overall prospect soon. Maybe if Oakland threw in Erceg it would be worth it. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've never been a Kjerstad believer. 

I think he's best suited to DH and I'm not sure the bat is special enough.

I believe he'll be a good productive major-leaguer while under team control. I also believe he'll be a DH by his early 30s, though he won't be valueless in that role. The bat is pretty strong.

If I'm Oakland and think I need OF help/offense more than I need an elite reliever, I'd consider the deal. I don't know enough about the A's current situation to know for sure if I'd make the deal from their seat. I might try to get more from the O's, but I'm not sure who else we could give up that Oakland would want that wouldn't blow up the deal for me.

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

We have the option of bringing Kimbrel back too!

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe?

Let's be honest, he was hyped to the moon this offseason and that might be his peak.

We don't know he can stick at catcher.  We don't know if his elbow issue will resurface.

I agree that he's a fabulous prospect with a huge ceiling but he's not some stainless steel lock.

Basallo's reasonable floor is pretty good first baseman. Miller's reasonable floor is he blows out his arm and/or has other injuries and isn't the same after he comes back.

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I believe he'll be a good productive major-leaguer while under team control. I also believe he'll be a DH by his early 30s, though he won't be valueless in that role. The bat is pretty strong.

If I'm Oakland and think I need OF help/offense more than I need an elite reliever, I'd consider the deal. I don't know enough about the A's current situation to know for sure if I'd make the deal from their seat. I might try to get more from the O's, but I'm not sure who else we could give up that Oakland would want that wouldn't blow up the deal for me.

If I'm Oakland I wait for a better deal from another suitor.

Maybe get some pitching back.