A dozen more strikeouts last night, and most of the lineup is not hitting well

Sure, Sunday the Orioles scored 11 runs, most of the runs came in garbage time. But the fact that this line-up is still at the mercy of  slumping regulars...Gunnar, Mullins, Santander, Urias(when he plays) Cowser, I think it's time to at least TRY something new. It's time to bring up Mayo and give him a shot to give the Orioles another dangerous bat. Play him at third, or DH if you want...but this team needs an offensive spark. Theres NO excuse for striking out nearly half the at bats. And if you want to look, Mayo is NOT a big strike out guy...and his chase rate has been below MLB average. Give the kid a shot...because he's ready and he can hit, not just home runs..hes a very selective and solid hitter too...

• Downvote 2

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2024.shtml

Team BA: .254 10th in MLB

Team HRs: 54 1st in MLB

Team RBIs 174 4th in MLB

Team Hit 197 12th in MLB

Team Runs 180 6th in MLB

Team OBP .306 17th in MLB

Team SLG .441 2nd in MLB

Team OPS .747 3rd in MLB

Team OPS+ 117 2nd in MLB

Team Walks 89 one more than last place CWS

Roy, I think they are hitting the ball just fine. But this team has a problem with getting on base and specifically taking a walk. Free swinging clubs are streaky.

Crappy umping.  Hyde needs to be more vocal.  The umps are a variable that our hitters can't control.  It's like when the Rays were becoming a powerhouse and had all of those brawls.  We don't need brawls, but we do need our manager to be more vocal.  O'Hearn took one for the team last night.  

None of the young guys want to get labeled like Machado did.  

I'm a bit more interested to hear if Roy thinks we don't have any shot tonight against the Nats.

But I'm not sure I want to see him answer on here.   He probably should start another thread to be sure.

• Upvote 1

It’s a 162 game season. Teams don’t hit on all (or even most) cylinders all the time.  Meanwhile they’ve won 6 of their last 8 games.  Hardly time to get real worried, even if the offensive downturn lasts another few days.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s a 162 game season. Teams don’t hit on all (or even most) cylinders all the time.  Meanwhile they’ve won 6 of their last 8 games.  Hardly time to get real worried, even if the offensive downturn lasts another few days.  

We literally don't score for Burnes.  Hope that doesn't become more of a thing.  

If there was a high % that Mayo would come up and crush it at the plate, I’d be all for it.  However, the vast majority of really good prospects typically struggle for the first 1-2 months after their first call-up.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It seems not everyone understands that any more. It's baseball. The Nats pitchers threw well. But dang, it looks like Elias and company gave up on Hunter Harvey a little too early. For all the finds off the DFA or trades, they sure did miss with Hunter Harvey and Evan Phillips. Guess you win some and lose some.

But I'll take Harvey at the back end of our bullpen right now.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It seems not everyone understands that any more. It's baseball. The Nats pitchers threw well. But dang, it looks like Elias and company gave up on Hunter Harvey a little too early. For all the finds off the DFA or trades, they sure did miss with Hunter Harvey and Evan Phillips. Guess you win some and lose some.

But I'll take Harvey at the back end of our bullpen right now.

It was never about his talent.  The kid could never stay healthy while we had him.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I would like to see the team be a little more patient. The whole second worst in the league in walks thing isn’t something that’s positive.

It’s almost bizarre, given the “swing decisions” mantra of the last several years.  The team was steadily getting more patient, and then it wasn’t.  I think it’s a reaction to how they’re being pitched, but perhaps an overreaction.  

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

I forgot to add Mountcastle. He's hitting .200 in the last week...Bring up Mayo. It's NOT a panic move. Its a solid move.

yeah, they all suck, and Mountcastle's .200 last week, dump the bum! What was the front office thinking?  You available for the job?