Any truth to the Justin Verlander smoke?

1 hour ago, vab said:

Could he close? - (I'm asking seriously). Long time starters have made the transition in the past, John Smoltz comes to mind. 

I actually like this idea.

As far as cost. The Mets are covering most of his salary. By the time he came to us, I think we'd be on the hook for about 4 Mil

It seems unnecessarily risky to try Verlander as closer. We have a legit shot at our first WS birth in over 40 years (while Adley is in year 3 and Henderson and Westburg are in year 2). I would hate to gamble with our chances which increases the variance of the results when we can just go out and get a legitimate effective closer who has already experienced success in that role. 

IMO the present opportunity that we have this season is too promising to pass up. The Blue Jays and White Sox are examples of how swiftly things can change.

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Every aging veteran with a no trade clause on a crappy team should have us on their list. Doesn't mean they'll get the priviledge of being Austin Hays' teammate!

So you're saying trade Hays for Verlander? 

1 minute ago, jerios55 said:

So you're saying trade Hays for Verlander? 

No.

If someone is traded to the O's they'll get the priviledge of being Austin Hays' teammate. That is, if Hays isn't part of the deal.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

What smoke are we referring to?

There's been alot of links and headlines of speculation being posted about this in the Orioles Hangout Facebook group. I've just been ignoring them because it makes no sense.