Extension Priorities

51 minutes ago, BobP said:

I could care less. I don't understand why this board is so obsessed with this topic. Most players will still be here for a few years and let's enjoy them while they're here. Don't get me wrong, if an extension happens, I will be happy. It takes two to tango and there are many good reasons both sides may not want to (at least right now). 

Burnes - has made it clear he is going to be a free agent (the reason he signed with Boras) so including him is a waste of time

Gunnar - signed with Boras, so that tells me he's not really thinking about extensions. Even if he is, good chance he waits until Soto signs and that's where he starts the discussions. He seems like an ultra competitive person who's probably not looking to give any discounts. Rumor is they may be working on this one - be happy to be wrong.

Holliday - signed with Boras and hasn't proven he can hit MLB pitching

Bradish - need to wait to see if he gets through the season and status of his elbow

GRod - he's a pitcher who throws the ball violently - no rush

Adley - I believe this may be the one that could get done, he's older and his value is a more defined 

Westburg / Cowser - still improving, until performance/value more defined, risk on both sides

Orioles / Rubenstein - new owners, still probably working on defining cash flows, wouldn't be surprised they have ME working on multiple scenarios outlining salary $ and wins tradeoffs. We could be talking close to a billion dollars to sign all the above.

I'm just going to enjoy and root for the team in the now, and worry about next year's team in the off-season.

Claims he couldn’t care less then drops the longest post in the thread on what he claims he couldn’t care less about 🤣🤣🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BobP said:

I could care less. I don't understand why this board is so obsessed with this topic. Most players will still be here for a few years and let's enjoy them while they're here. Don't get me wrong, if an extension happens, I will be happy. It takes two to tango and there are many good reasons both sides may not want to (at least right now). 

Burnes - has made it clear he is going to be a free agent (the reason he signed with Boras) so including him is a waste of time

Gunnar - signed with Boras, so that tells me he's not really thinking about extensions. Even if he is, good chance he waits until Soto signs and that's where he starts the discussions. He seems like an ultra competitive person who's probably not looking to give any discounts. Rumor is they may be working on this one - be happy to be wrong.

Holliday - signed with Boras and hasn't proven he can hit MLB pitching

Bradish - need to wait to see if he gets through the season and status of his elbow

GRod - he's a pitcher who throws the ball violently - no rush

Adley - I believe this may be the one that could get done, he's older and his value is a more defined 

Westburg / Cowser - still improving, until performance/value more defined, risk on both sides

Orioles / Rubenstein - new owners, still probably working on defining cash flows, wouldn't be surprised they have ME working on multiple scenarios outlining salary $ and wins tradeoffs. We could be talking close to a billion dollars to sign all the above.

I'm just going to enjoy and root for the team in the now, and worry about next year's team in the off-season.

Why can't posters discuss topics of interest between themselves without others, who say they have no interest in it or find no value in the topic, taking the time to stop by and crap on it?  If you don't like a topic, why post?  I, for one, enjoy talking about the Orioles.  I enjoy trade chat, potential promotions chat, 'what would you do' type chats, and many other thread topics.  Talking about things of interest does not equate to not enjoying the moment.   Can't we enjoy these players and the team AND discuss a myriad of topics that involve the present and future of these players/team?

FWIW, you said many things in your lengthy post that I agree with.  I found it to be a solid breakdown.  Seems you had something to share after all.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

These extensions are extremely overrated by fan bases.  I’d still sign guys but the overall thought of them is more to give fans warm and fuzzy feelings than it making great baseball sense.

Just look at the Braves. Stuck with all those players and in 2nd place.

Gunnar would be the main one at this point. It's going to take the Witt contract plus, but he's the kind of player that you can build around on a 10 year deal.

There's a plenty of other options but I'd rather start with him. If he's not interested then you move on...all depending on what ownership will go for as well.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Gunnar and Holliday are the easy top 2.

I would extend Adley but I also think it ends up being a mistake but it’s a mistake I can live with.  I wouldn’t go crazy for him though.

The pitchers wouldn’t even be a consideration for me unless I got them a lot cheaper than I think.

Basallo and Mayo enter the picture soon.

You’re thinking Adley becomes something like the B-Rob/Mora extensions where the strictly best move would probably be to trade but an extension is highly defensible and even worst case scenario by no means kills the team?

Mora/B-Rob, if memory serves, probably would’ve been fine had the rest of the team not been so directionless.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

How about you guys?

Gunner, Bradish, Grayson, Adley

honestly … I’d like them to resign Burnes … but I think it’s as likely as me hitting the Powerball when the jackpot reaches a billion dollars 

Posted (edited)

I don't like long term extension into the players 30s.  Seems like 90% of the time they are overpays.  I am not against signing players into their 30s on short term deals.

I think this thread does a good job of stating the problems with extending many of the O's players.  Whether that is agents,  health,  aging, and/or cost.

The one guy (outside of Elias) that I am interested in extending in the near term is John Means.   He is a free agent after the season.   He may be open to a two year extension with an option.   Because he does not project to pitch over 150 innings per year his contract will probably be  lower than guys that pitch more innings.

With the likelihood that Burnes does not extend with the O's I don't want to lose two of the O's starting pitchers from a team that probably wins over than 100 games this year.

In the 7 starts since he came back late last season Means has an ERA under 3.00 and a WHIP under 1.000.    If he maintains anything close to this performance level into the All-Star Break I want him extended at that point.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

#1 is Gunnar, and it isn't even close.   He appears to be a MVP candidate and could be for the next 10 years.   Lock him up if he's willing. 

Big gap

#2 is Westburg.  He's a gritty, hardnosed, excellent player who I think we could lock up at a decent price.  Not being a highly touted as Gunnar and Adley I think it's possible a more team friendly deal could be obtained.   He's a solid rock that along with Gunnar could anchor our team for a while. 

HUGE gap

#3 Holiday.  While his mlb experience was a SSS, it had made me slightly gun shy on extending him.   I still think he'll be fine,  but my expectations have been slightly tempered.  I certainly would not offer what I may have offered in the spring.   Doubt he accepts what I'd be willing to offer at this point. 

#4 Adley.  I love the man.   I love how he plays the game,  I love his bat and his baseball makeup.  I don't love his arm accuracy or his pitch calling at times.   But more importantly I don't love the fact that he'll be a catcher in his 30s for most of any extension.  And with some of the talent coming up,  I'm not sure we need an expensive DH/1st baseman type.  Catchers usually age quickly, and while he might pull a Tom Brady and play forever at a high level,  the odds are against it.  I'd extend him,  but only for a short extension,  even if the AV was a bit higher.  

#5 Burnes only for a short extension,  3-4 years max.   He's great,  and just what we needed.   And I'd pay high for those 3 years.   But I don't think I'd want to be on the hook for 8 years with any pitcher right now given the injuries lately.  Burnes has been incredibly durable, but so were other pitchers until suddenly they weren't. 

#6 everyone else.   Don't want to extend anyone else really.   The pitchers are too volatile and injury prone, the other position players are too flawed (Mullins, Hays, Santander) or too young (Mayo, etc).  

I'm wondering if Gunnar would be interested in a 8 year/$250 mill extension.  He would still hit free agency at 30.  Also he could have the option of taking player option for 5 years/$200 mill if he had top 5 MVP finish in year 5-8 (is this kind of opion even legal by MLB rules?)

Reading through a fairly entertaining thread, with a number of cool lists and strategies, I think for me, there is only one answer.

Build it around Gunnar.

We sure could get a boatload of bodies back in a trade, we could certainly keep working on developing more talent along the way — but as an ancient baseball fan — he sure is fun to watch.

If I’m David Rubenstein (and I’m definitely not, I think the man has lost more money under his couch cushions than I have in the bank), I let Elias know the budget can be adjusted to keep the kid around.