Baumann traded for Blake Hunt

Birds08

15 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Blake Hunt (25) was not ranked in MLB Pipeline's Mariners' Top 30 prospects list in March.  Though he is ranked #30 elsewhere.  Tony has Maverick Handley (26) as our #29 prospect, so I imagine both prospects may be similarly rated.  Hunt, could have more upside, but it's hard to say.  Both could be in the mix for the backup spot in Baltimore next season.

I think he was #23 on their current list; he's off of it now, but also wasn't added to the O's Top 30, so he's probably somewhere between 30-40 on our list now

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:47 AM, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t say so.  I’d say Hunt adds to the competition as back up C. 

Completely agree.   Our depth below AAA is also scuffling right now so there isn't likely going to be any leap frogging which gives time for AAA competition between Hunt & Handley.

Some are going to keep looking at Basallo as the future but he has to stay healthy and continue to progress.  Basallo has been fairly steady between April and May but he is well below his impressive early stats last season. April (21G) .262/.276/.440/.716 and May (17G) .262/.324/.369/.693.  Since he started catching his plate discipline has improved but his power numbers have gone down. 

Ardoin has had a horrible May to such a degree no one is talking about him at this point.  His throw downs are the only positive on him right now.  Ardoin his .286/423/.405/.828 in April (13 Games) while in 13 games in May, he is .104/.173/.104/.277. 

Willems who hit .299/.333/.642/.975 in April (18G) is only .182/.286/.418/.704 in May (17G)

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

If they sent down Akin they could have kept Baumann with Means going on the IL. Oh well. 

That's exactly what I would have done. I don't think roster manipulation is one of Elias's better skills.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

That's exactly what I would have done. I don't think roster manipulation is one of Elias's better skills.

I’m sure it was considered.  It’s not like it wasn’t a blindingly obvious option.   But I don’t think the clubhouse likes it much when a pitcher with a sub-3.00 ERA is optioned to the minors.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, CHIP said:

Comparing Hunt and Handley there are 'pieces' that can be pulled from both as positives and negatives.  Two different style catchers for sure and two very different paths.

Age:  Handley is 8 months older than Hunt.  3/10/98 vs. 11/10/98

Draft:  Hunt got $1.6M out of HS.  Handley went to Stanford and got $250K.  Hunt is now in his 4th professional organization.  Drafted by SDP (6/17), traded to TBR (12/20), traded to SEA (11/23), traded to BAL (5/24).  Handley drafted by BAL in 2019.  Only other catcher still in the BAL system since his draft is Adley.   Value becomes perspective.

Size:  Hunt is 6'4" 215# while Handley is 5'10" 205#.  Both players are hit/throw R/R.  Hunt has the projectable size over Handley without a doubt.

For the comparisons below, I am going to 'trim' the statistics to 2021 and later.  Handley was in college and short season in '19.  Hunt was in rookie, short season and low A thru '19.  These are development years for both and not really comparable (my opinion) as it waters down the 'same' timeframes/levels.  I have done my best to equally balance the data for an neutral comparison.

Since 2021, both players have been in High A and above.  Hunt has played 248 Games with 989 PA.   Handley has played 245 Games with 958 PA.

A+ Games:  Hunt 59, Handley 60

AA Games:  Hunt 135, Handley 82

AAA Games:  Hunt 54, Handley 103

SPEED:  Hunt has  a total of 5 SB.  1 in A+ and 4 in AA.   Handley has a total of 30 SB.  12 in A+, 7 in AA, 11 in AAA.  

BB Rate:  Hunt 7.9% in AA and 6.6% in AAA.  Handley 11.7% in AA and 14% in AAA.  

K Rate:  Hunt 25.6% in AA & 15.6% in AAA.  Handley 22.2% in AA and 17% in AAA

HITTING:  In AA, Hunt was .232/.310/.364/.674 and Handley was .237/.351/.423/.774.  AAA is a bit different but sample set isn't quite the same.  Hunt .275/.340/.524/.863 and Handley was .243/.373/.362/.735.  

DEFENSE:  Hunt has caught 220 games (1904.1 innings).  Handley has caught 212 games (1805 innings).  Hunt has caught 56 of 252 runners (22%).  Handley has caught 81 of 198 runners (41%).  But since the new pick off rules, etc.  In AAA, Hunt has caught 5 of 35 (14%) and Handley has caught 17 of 50 (34%).  Passed Balls are Hunt 17 and Handley 18.

Overall, it is my opinion, that Hunt's ranking in Seattle's system doesn't push him over Handley in the O's system.  Handley has more experience with the O's staff and AAA ball in general.  Stats between PCL and IL are not created equal.  

Biggest advantage Hunt has is physical size and already coming in on O's 40 man roster. 

Outside of this... pending no injuries at MLB level, the Tide are playing Braves (Gwinnett) next week and Yankees (Scranton) the following week.  Seeing when Hunt comes in and how the O's divide playing time as Handley was getting 4/6 games per week will show a lot.  How Hunt/Handley are taking the competition and how the O's are setting up the comparable game time.  Will they be doing a 50/50 catching split or giving one or the other more time at C?  With our other prospects, we do not have a lot of DH time available and neither Hunt or Handley play 1B. 

This was a well written, well researched, and informative post.  Thank you.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CHIP said:

Comparing Hunt and Handley there are 'pieces' that can be pulled from both as positives and negatives.  Two different style catchers for sure and two very different paths.

Age:  Handley is 8 months older than Hunt.  3/10/98 vs. 11/10/98

Draft:  Hunt got $1.6M out of HS.  Handley went to Stanford and got $250K.  Hunt is now in his 4th professional organization.  Drafted by SDP (6/17), traded to TBR (12/20), traded to SEA (11/23), traded to BAL (5/24).  Handley drafted by BAL in 2019.  Only other catcher still in the BAL system since his draft is Adley.   Value becomes perspective.

Size:  Hunt is 6'4" 215# while Handley is 5'10" 205#.  Both players are hit/throw R/R.  Hunt has the projectable size over Handley without a doubt.

For the comparisons below, I am going to 'trim' the statistics to 2021 and later.  Handley was in college and short season in '19.  Hunt was in rookie, short season and low A thru '19.  These are development years for both and not really comparable (my opinion) as it waters down the 'same' timeframes/levels.  I have done my best to equally balance the data for an neutral comparison.

Since 2021, both players have been in High A and above.  Hunt has played 248 Games with 989 PA.   Handley has played 245 Games with 958 PA.

A+ Games:  Hunt 59, Handley 60

AA Games:  Hunt 135, Handley 82

AAA Games:  Hunt 54, Handley 103

SPEED:  Hunt has  a total of 5 SB.  1 in A+ and 4 in AA.   Handley has a total of 30 SB.  12 in A+, 7 in AA, 11 in AAA.  

BB Rate:  Hunt 7.9% in AA and 6.6% in AAA.  Handley 11.7% in AA and 14% in AAA.  

K Rate:  Hunt 25.6% in AA & 15.6% in AAA.  Handley 22.2% in AA and 17% in AAA

HITTING:  In AA, Hunt was .232/.310/.364/.674 and Handley was .237/.351/.423/.774.  AAA is a bit different but sample set isn't quite the same.  Hunt .275/.340/.524/.863 and Handley was .243/.373/.362/.735.  

DEFENSE:  Hunt has caught 220 games (1904.1 innings).  Handley has caught 212 games (1805 innings).  Hunt has caught 56 of 252 runners (22%).  Handley has caught 81 of 198 runners (41%).  But since the new pick off rules, etc.  In AAA, Hunt has caught 5 of 35 (14%) and Handley has caught 17 of 50 (34%).  Passed Balls are Hunt 17 and Handley 18.

Overall, it is my opinion, that Hunt's ranking in Seattle's system doesn't push him over Handley in the O's system.  Handley has more experience with the O's staff and AAA ball in general.  Stats between PCL and IL are not created equal.  

Biggest advantage Hunt has is physical size and already coming in on O's 40 man roster. 

Outside of this... pending no injuries at MLB level, the Tide are playing Braves (Gwinnett) next week and Yankees (Scranton) the following week.  Seeing when Hunt comes in and how the O's divide playing time as Handley was getting 4/6 games per week will show a lot.  How Hunt/Handley are taking the competition and how the O's are setting up the comparable game time.  Will they be doing a 50/50 catching split or giving one or the other more time at C?  With our other prospects, we do not have a lot of DH time available and neither Hunt or Handley play 1B. 

Excellent post.  Thanks for the detailed comparison.  Now I expect we’ll see the two get about equal playing time and we’ll see how they do in the same environment.  

Welcome to Birdland, Blake: In his first game in the Orioles organization, Blake Hunt started at catcher and went 2-for-4 with a go-ahead solo home run in the ninth.

From Norfolk PR

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

That was a laser to right-center. Looked like a single over the 2nd baseman's head, and a second later its over the fence almost killing some guy in the stands. Mayo would have been proud.