FIX THE DANG BULLPEN

DocJJ

43 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

How long is the leash on Vieira ?  Does he has any options left  ?   If  he can’t pull his weight, perhaps they should DFA him soon 

Vieira doesn’t have options.  

5 hours ago, accinfo said:

Vieira doesn’t have options.  

I'm not sure what we are doing with Vieira. I figured the trade was about the prospect and they had to take him and his salary to make it happen. I expected him to be DFA right away and they would try to send him to the minors to work on him. 

10.1 scoreless innings for our bullpen the last two days.   An excellent performance.  The bullpen ERA is 3.61, 8th best in MLB.  Also:

15 wins, tied for 6th best.

8 losses, tied for 2nd fewest

.652 winning percentage, 6th best 

1.154 WHIP, 4th best 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

10.1 scoreless innings for our bullpen the last two days.   An excellent performance.  The bullpen ERA is 3.61, 8th best in MLB.  Also:

15 wins, tied for 6th best.

8 losses, tied for 2nd fewest

.652 winning percentage, 6th best 

1.154 WHIP, 4th best 

20th in K rate

19th in BB rate

10th in HR rate 

15th in FIP

17th in K/BB

15th in WPA

29th in EV

26th in hard hit%

17th in fWAR

The Indians bullpen numbers are stupid good.  No wonder they are winning so much. They will be handful later on this month.

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Indians bullpen numbers are stupid good.  No wonder they are winning so much. They will be handful later on this month.

They also are scoring 5.10 runs per game, after averaging 4.09 last year.  I need to look and see why.  They’re dangerous for sure. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I only feel good about Coulombe or Kimbrel when they come into the game.  The rest of them are very shaky imo.

Most of our pitchers have far lower ERAs than their FIP and/or xERA. 

I don’t look at their FIP or xERA, so I feel much more comfortable when they come into a game!   

Shaky is not the term I’d use for most of them.  They’re vulnerable, for the most part.  But they get the job done more often than not.  With the current exception of Vieira, everyone in our pen is decent.  But we’re not really dominant at the back end.  

It would be one thing if the O's were carrying a reliever with the potential of Bautista or even a Fuji type reliever.  We saw how well that turned out last season.  Vieira looks to have the upside of the last man in the bullpen.  So he can be replaced with anyone off the waiver wire but Elias is shackling a ball and chain to our bullpen.  With no off days, don't have the luxury of bullpen guys you only use in mop up duty.  I predict Vieira is going to cost the O's a game very soon.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It would be one thing if the O's were carrying a reliever with the potential of Bautista or even a Fuji type reliever.  We saw how well that turned out last season.  Vieira looks to have the upside of the last man in the bullpen.  So he can be replaced with anyone off the waiver wire but Elias is shackling a ball and chain to our bullpen.  With no off days, don't have the luxury of bullpen guys you only use in mop up duty.  I predict Vieira is going to cost the O's a game very soon.

I’m open to the idea IF the Orioles & Jorge Lopez reached an agreement, then let him take Vieira’s spot 

1) Lopez’s son hospitalization caused him lots of stress 

2) change of scenery from Mets losing culture to Orioles winning one could help him 

3) Lopez had two stints with Orioles in which he pitched well and had no issues with coaches, teammates & fans 

what do you guys think ?

25 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I’m open to the idea IF the Orioles & Jorge Lopez reached an agreement, then let him take Vieira’s spot 

1) Lopez’s son hospitalization caused him lots of stress 

2) change of scenery from Mets losing culture to Orioles winning one could help him 

3) Lopez had two stints with Orioles in which he pitched well and had no issues with coaches, teammates & fans 

what do you guys think ?

I saw enough of López last year to not think he’s a solution to anything.  If he hadn’t had those 3 good months for the Orioles in 2022, nobody would be clamoring for uim.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw enough of López last year to not think he’s a solution to anything.  If he hadn’t had those 3 good months for the Orioles in 2022, nobody would be clamoring for uim.  

After reading your comments, I googled Lopez’s career stats. His stats are worse than I thought.  Had to rethink my assessment 

Hyde just said in postgame that he left Tate in for the 8th because there wasnt another right hander available. If they dont even consider Vieria to pitch then get him off the team...