The 2024 Trade Deadline

Some people on here saw this guy play somewhat decently during the White Sox series and were like “oMG i WaNT HiM!!1!1” 

Now to be fair the guy he had an issue with, William Contreras, also seems like a huge douche. 

17 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Some people on here saw this guy play somewhat decently during the White Sox series and were like “oMG i WaNT HiM!!1!1” 

Now to be fair the guy he had an issue with, William Contreras, also seems like a huge douche. 

I think there is a reason Tommy Pham has played with 8 teams in his 11 baseball seasons...

• Upvote 1

The Orioles certainly don’t need another SP but I do think they should be in the market for guys with multiple years of control who are an upgrade on the number 4 spot in the rotation. After Burnes, Bradish and Grayson, the Orioles have a lot of decent options in Kremer, Irvin, Suarez and Povich but upgrading on them could make a big difference in a playoff game. And that’s assuming we have those top 3 SP healthy in the playoffs. 

There’s a limited number of spots to upgrade this team before the playoffs. After the back end of the bullpen, the #4 spot in the rotation is most impactful. And with Burnes hitting free agency, there’s definitely a need to have another playoff-caliber SP. 

Crochet and Luzardo are the two most interesting potentially available SP with that extra control, and we know the Orioles had trade talks with both clubs this off-season. They know the Orioles’ system. The Orioles shouldn’t (and won’t) trade Holliday/Mayo/Basallo for them, but I think Kjerstad as the headliner is on the table and there’s a lot of other secondary and tertiary pieces in the system that could make a deal possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Trout to the Orioles doesn't make much sense but Trout to the Phillies does.  They need outfield help pretty badly and it's his hometown team.  

I would love to see Trout on the Phillies. 

God, Harper and he on the same team - I can't hate on the Phils man, i feel like they are our cousins in vibes. 

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kjerstad has a great chance to be the O's right fielder in 2025.

Of course, they don’t need to move him in the same way they needed to move Ortiz. But unless Cowser is going to play CF, they also have Stowers and soon Beavers for the corners, plus 5 infielders for 3 positions, so at least Norby and potentially one of Mayo/Westburg/Holliday could end up playing OF as well. Plus Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle and O’Hearn are still around next year(and Mountcastle in 2026 too), and Basallo will be up by 2026 if not sooner.

Kjerstad is a better player than many of those names, but is a surplus of position player talent that they can deal from, and there’s a bigger need for frontline SP in 2025+. In particular, I think they really only need 2 of Kjerstad/Beavers/Stowers. Kjerstad is easily the best of that group and I’d prefer to trade one of the other two, but if he’s bringing back a playoff caliber SP controlled through 2026, then that’s a deal that makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Of course, they don’t need to move him in the same way they needed to move Ortiz. But unless Cowser is going to play CF, they also have Stowers and soon Beavers for the corners, plus 5 infielders for 3 positions, so at least Norby and potentially one of Mayo/Westburg/Holliday could end up playing OF as well. Plus Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle and O’Hearn are still around next year(and Mountcastle in 2026 too), and Basallo will be up by 2026 if not sooner.

Kjerstad is a better player than many of those names, but is a surplus of position player talent that they can deal from, and there’s a bigger need for frontline SP in 2025+. In particular, I think they really only need 2 of Kjerstad/Beavers/Stowers. Kjerstad is easily the best of that group and I’d prefer to trade one of the other two, but if he’s bringing back a playoff caliber SP controlled through 2026, then that’s a deal that makes sense. 

That is the thing innit? 

The Orioles finally have a legit wealth to deal from and we have to start doing the hard thing, dealing from it. Heston probably gets us the best return in the form of a legit SP.

21 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

I would love to see Trout on the Phillies. 

God, Harper and he on the same team - I can't hate on the Phils man, i feel like they are our cousins in vibes. 

Maybe Trout six years ago.  He’s so hurt all the time, he’s still probably pretty great when healthy but not the same guy. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Trout six years ago.  He’s so hurt all the time, he’s still probably pretty great when healthy but not the same guy. 

He is not the same guy, but his bat still bats - Even if its just for a couple years I want to see that guy get some hardware ---- just not against us. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Kjerstad has a great chance to be the O's right fielder in 2025.

On Elias’ board he’s definitely markered in to be a 1:1 replacement for Santa.

People cry, but what about how Elias stuck with our guys in Cowser, and Stowers, and didn’t run out and sign Hicks. 

For the deadline, I think we need to “fresh” arms. Closer obviously as one. It would also be nice to get a LH 3B/2B that brings some OBP and can take advantage of our ballpark in RF. With Westburg being able to play 3B/2B it opens up the player pool to LH 3B as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2024 at 4:35 PM, DirtyBird said:

Pirates nave some nice young pieces, but they don't really have any older guys at the end of contracts that have any value.

Orioles need bullpen help and what could they use more in that spot than (a) Holderman.  Thats his name.  It's also what he does.  I know, it confusing.  Also probably wouldn't cost much.

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Orioles need bullpen help and what could they use more in that spot than (a) Holderman.  Thats his name.  It's also what he does.  I know, it confusing.  Also probably wouldn't cost much.

Under team control for 4 more years, has 3 options. I think the price would be pretty significant.

New name I think. Would the Rays trade Brandon Lowe. He can play 2B and OF when/if healthy. Big IF.  I doubt the Rays pick up his $10.5 million option for 2025.

So we’d be paying rental price. Which means we could probably get him for some names we wouldn’t mind parting with. Names like Horvath, Wagner, Fabian, Willems…

Passan on ESPN this morning, behind a paywall:

The season-ending Tommy John surgeries of left-hander John Means and right-hander Tyler Wells reinforced the Orioles' need for starting-pitching depth, even with Cade Povich and Chayce McDermott striking out the world at Triple-A. Give GM Mike Elias this much: He will not chase a deal despite the surplus of position players in Baltimore's system. His patience, in fact, could very well dictate how the deadline operates. The unloaders all want what Baltimore has, and whether it takes Heston Kjerstad, Connor Norby, Dylan Beavers or Enrique Bradfield Jr. (Jackson Holliday isn't going anywhere, and chances are Coby Mayo and Sam Basallo aren't, either), the Orioles will be the rare team looking to add that can control the market. Because everyone wants what they have.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

New name I think. Would the Rays trade Brandon Lowe. He can play 2B and OF when/if healthy. Big IF.  I doubt the Rays pick up his $10.5 million option for 2025.

So we’d be paying rental price. Which means we could probably get him for some names we wouldn’t mind parting with. Names like Horvath, Wagner, Fabian, Willems…

If we are trading for a position player rental, I'd prefer Alex Bregman

• Haha 1