The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's an old 27.

He debuted at 23.  His youth was one of the reasons I wanted to keep him over Mancini.

As I recall, if you’d gotten your way, Mounty would have been in the majors for the whole 2020 60-game season and we’d only have 1.5 years of control remaining now, and Mounty would have been paid another $6-8 mm by now and due for $13-14 mm next year.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

As I recall, if you’d gotten your way, Mounty would have been in the majors for the whole 2020 60-game season and we’d only have 1.5 years of control remaining now, and Mounty would have been paid another $6-8 mm by now and due for $13-14 mm next year.   

We'd also have Gunnar for another six years at a steep discount.  😉

I also think you might be a bit high on your money estimates considering how's he's played so far.

14 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Did I miss something or are you speculating? Norby makes perfect sense as the guy who is blocked, but having a veteran not too far removed from a GG season and who still plays solid defense does have upside for a contending team. I agree, though, that Urias is expendable for the Orioles, however, for the same reasons the Yankees would want him, so might the Orioles. McCann seems to be evidence of this because it's hard to imagine what he brings to the team besides "intangibles" or maybe how comfortable the pitchers are with him, which btw, I don't totally discount.

I was replying to a poster who commented that Mayo , Holiday, Norby will be calling up. I didn’t know if Norby was untouchable as ‘ Big Three ‘ are . Norby would among available trade baits  IMO 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Looking at the Orioles approach to acquiring pitching, other than Burnes and Jacob Webb, it leaves a lot to be desired. And you didn’t need advanced stats to know Burnes was top tier. 

Fuji, Flaherty, Vieira, Teheran, Ramirez… all terrible. 

3 waiver claims and Fuji was a super minor trade.

Irvin,  Cano, Povich, McDermott, S. Johnson

If you’re going to include the waiver claims that didn’t work then include the ones that did.  Coulombe, Perez, Webb, Baker.

6 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I was replying to a poster who commented that Mayo , Holiday, Norby will be calling up. I didn’t know if Norby was untouchable as ‘ Big Three ‘ are . Norby would among available trade baits  IMO 

Norby plays a valuable role in serving as a liaison and tour guide for the greater Norfolk area when players get promoted to the Tides.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

They’re not going trade Norby ?

If Urias and/or Mateo are released or traded, then Norby becomes important depth at both 2B and as a right-handed bat on a team with mostly lefty hitters.

Norby is certainly a candidate to be traded himself, but I value him significantly more than any of Urias, Mateo, AND Hays, and Elias should as well. Other major league teams would certainly offer more in a trade for Norby than they would for Hays (and certainly also Mateo and Urias). So we should value him similarly.

If there are no takers for Norby on the trade market, he has good value to the Orioles' major league roster later this season. Once Mayo is promoted, Norby's ability to play both corner OF spots and 2B with a quality righty bat actually makes him more valuable to this team than any of Mateo, Urias, McKenna, or Hays coming off the bench previously. 

An eventual bench of Norby, Mullins as the 4th OF, and Billy Cook would be very strong and versatile. That's the bench of a team with the best offense in baseball, and one that can win a World Series even without a great pitching staff.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If you’re going to include the waiver claims that didn’t work then include the ones that did.  Coulombe, Perez, Webb, Baker.

Suarez minor league deal. Cole Sulser. Cesar Valdez. Jorge Lopez. There's a ton, even if some only work out for one year or so. 

I think what happens is people look at this year and the lack of waiver/small trade/minor league deal success stories, which is true. Elias hasn't found that guy on waivers or trades this year... yet. 

Edited by interloper

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We'd also have Gunnar for another six years at a steep discount.  😉

I also think you might be a bit high on your money estimates considering how's he's played so far.

I think he was talking about Ryan Mountcastle but I can understand the pivot.  It’s like the Elvin Hayes turn around bank shot.  It’s always there when you need it.  😀

Edited by RZNJ

Just now, RZNJ said:

Tanner Scott looking good against the Phillies.

I think he was talking about Ryan Mountcastle but I can understand the pivot.  It’s like the Elvin Hayes turn around bank shot.  It’s always there when you need it.  😀

The we'd also part was me agreeing to his point about Ryan, even if I thought the salary numbers were high.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I wouldn’t call Flaherty a minor trade. He was a proven SP with playoff experience that was having a good year. He was exactly what we’re looking for right now. A SP to get us through the regular season with Game 3 upside. I will agree that we need to do better to win a WS. Probably a lefty with our ballpark. 

To that point, Kjerstad is now a member of the mlb team. So is Povich. We’re not trading any of the big 3.

How much does McDermott, Norby, Stowers, plus the rest of our 4-system buy us?  Probably not Logan Webb because of the contract, but I think it buys us Kikuchi, and two rental relievers. 

We should keep in mind that if we do trade for relievers then we’d likely include some of our currently relievers that are out of options for this year or will be out of options for next year.

Vespi and Baker have pitched pretty well. Those would be the two guys you are bumping to the pen. Both are out of options next year. Also, keep in mind Suarez is out of options.

So when we talk about making deadline deals keep in mind that there is only a 26 man roster in August and only a 28 man roster in September. We’re not just going to DFA 2-3 of Akin, Perez, Vespi, Baker, and Suarez. Baker and Vespi could be optioned to the minors this year. 

Say we’re in a 3 game WC series. If it goes 3 games and we have a 26 man roster, you could see a bullpen game. Burnes and Grayson would start the first 2 games. Then we’d have an 11 man pen for game 3. The same applies to a 5 game series just with Burnes and Grayson pitching 3 of the 5 games. Could be bullpen games the other two games. 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The we'd also part was me agreeing to his point about Ryan, even if I thought the salary numbers were high.

Hmmm.  Whatever happened to good point?   LOL

Something tells me if I search your posts that word combination may never come up.  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hmmm.  Whatever happened to good point?   LOL

Something tells me if I search your posts that word combination may never come up.  

Have at it.

Once again not sure why you are looking for a fight today.

Frobby said something, I agreed with him and you jump in.  Seems reasonable.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Have at it.

Once again not sure why you are looking for a fight today.

Frobby said something, I agreed with him and you jump in.  Seems reasonable.

I guess you don’t use the words good and point too much either separately or together.  I searched the phrase “good point” but it returns anything with both words in it.  For instance, I have 5 pages of using both words in a post but only 5 “good points” on the first page.

Surprisingly, in a good way, SportsGuy uses that phrase quite a bit.

Frobby uses “good” and “point” a lot separately but his first page of results only showed one “good point”.

Guess who has never used the phrase “good point”?   That’s really weird.   I mean in 111,600 posts, what are the odds on that?    😯