The 2024 Trade Deadline

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What would you need out of Crochet in 2024 to justify trading Kjerstad+ for him?  (This is not to say 2025 and beyond isn’t important but the idea is to try to win right now, so I’m focusing on that for this question)

Truthfully, I would only need to discuss extension with his agent. I would want to buyout his arbitration and add 2 more years of control in the 20-25 million ballpark. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Using San Diego trades in the last couple years is a bit disingenuous. They had an owner who was trying to win it all before he died. 

Good news is it appears Elias will not entertain a trade like that. When asked about the Soto trade this past offseason he sort of respectfully scoffed at the idea.

1 hour ago, StottyByNature said:

Trade discussion pet peeve of mine: some variation of "I'd only do that if we could extend him."

Honestly, when has an extension right after a trade ever happened?  They are by far the exception.  And the trading team doesn't care whether you extend him or not.  Any trade valuation is based on the years of control left on that player and nothing more.

Matt Olson comes to mind but yes an extension is not relevant to the conversation.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What would you need out of Crochet in 2024 to justify trading Kjerstad+ for him?  (This is not to say 2025 and beyond isn’t important but the idea is to try to win right now, so I’m focusing on that for this question)

To justify trading for Kjerstad for Crochet I think you need to have Crochet ready to start games in the 2024 playoffs fully stretched out, and expect no limitations on workload in 2025 and 2026. With how much he’s already thrown in 2024, I think you’re already there for 2025/2026 workloads so long as he finishes this year healthy.

I don’t think it’s worth it if he’s only going a RP in the playoffs this year. However, so long as he’s fresh and ready to roll as a SP in the playoffs this year, I don’t really care how much he pitches down the stretch in the regular season. Opener, bullpen, skip starts, pitch limits, option stint, IL stint, whatever don’t care - just as long as he’s taking the mound in our second playoff game after Burnes.

Obviously I want to win the division over the Yankees, but one player (even one as good as Crochet) isn’t going to change that much more than a coin flip either way. It would take something catastrophic to miss the playoffs completely, and they already (still) have decent SP depth for the regular season to get into the playoffs. Adding a SP at the deadline is all about improving your odds once you’re in the dance.

I have some ideas regarding the O's "Three Body Problem": Westburg, Holliday, and Mayo.  I admit this may be more of a 2025+ issue, but wanted to get it out there.

Unless we trade Mountcastle, we have three players for two spots: 2B & 3B.  Holliday at 2B, Mayo at 3B, and Westburg at either.  Sure, Mayo could DH, or get tried in RF himself.  But it seems the O's prefer him at 3B with some AB's at 1B on occasion.  I've previously discussed the merits of trying Holliday in CF, perhaps beginning this off-season.  Holliday is athletic enough and fast enough to handle CF and has a good arm to boot.  I believe, like many former SS's before, that he would be able to transition fairly quickly.  But a guy who may be just as athletic and perhaps even a bit faster, is Westburg.  The same thoughts about a transition to CF apply to Westburg.  Having such versatility would benefit the team, and having either Holliday or Westburg playing CF would resolve the crowded infield issue.  Holliday or Westburg would also be able to play the infield on occasion as well.  Westburg in particular could be similar to Ben Zobrist, in that regard.  

I understand some will point to Enrique Bradfield Jr as the possible heir apparent in a couple of years.  He may or not be, but almost certainly not as soon as next season.  I'm also not convinced Cedric Mullins will be the answer in '25, but we have him under control for another season.

So, unless any of Mountcastle, Westburg, Holliday, or Mayo are traded, thinking creatively could bring a resolution to the matter.

Credit To @RZNJ for the idea of Westy in CF, which he posted in May.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I have some ideas regarding the O's "Three Body Problem": Westburg, Holliday, and Mayo.  I admit this may be more of a 2025+ issue, but wanted to get it out there.

Unless we trade Mountcastle, we have three players for two spots: 2B & 3B.  Holliday at 2B, Mayo at 3B, and Westburg at either.  Sure, Mayo could DH, or get tried in RF himself.  But it seems the O's prefer him at 3B with some AB's at 1B on occasion.  I've previously discussed the merits of trying Holliday in CF, perhaps beginning this off-season.  Holliday is athletic enough and fast enough to handle CF and has a good arm to boot.  I believe, like many former SS's before, that he would be able to transition fairly quickly.  But a guy who may be just as athletic and perhaps even a bit faster, is Westburg.  The same thoughts about a transition to CF apply to Westburg.  Having such versatility would benefit the team, and having either Holliday or Westburg playing CF would resolve the crowded infield issue.  Holliday or Westburg would also be able to play the infield on occasion as well.  Westburg in particular could be similar to Ben Zobrist, in that regard.  

I understand some will point to Enrique Bradfield Jr as the possible heir apparent in a couple of years.  He may or not be, but almost certainly not as soon as next season.  I'm also not convinced Cedric Mullins will be the answer in '25, but we have him under control for another season.

So, unless any of Mountcastle, Westburg, Holliday, or Mayo are traded, thinking creatively could bring a resolution to the matter.

To me, Westy does not possess the lateral quickness for CF.  And his throwing motion is too short-armed for OF and would need to be reworked. 

19 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Wish I had thought of this.  Oh, wait!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wish I had thought of this.  Oh, wait!

Dude, sometimes we think so much alike.  I would've bet money I was the first to bring up Westy in CF!  LOL!  Thank you for sharing that post. The idea has merit if situations stay as they are.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1