The 2024 Trade Deadline

42 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Of course we would all rather part with the players with the lowest value possible. But more than likely Urias has no trade value and Mateo has little. Certainly not the kind that can bring us a reliable to dominant power arm to go at the back of the bullpen.

Yes, say for example Austin Adams (A's) or Hunter Strickland (Angels, not saying either is back end), But both are having good years and will be dealt, why would they be interested in Urias or Mateo

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, interloper said:

Can we use him in the bullpen?

This is a good question.  He's starting for the first time after elbow and shoulder surgeries set him back.  He'd been a reliever in the past, but some guys have difficulties adjusting to changing roles mid-season.  We have no clue what Elias thinks, but I have doubts he would target a guy coming off such injuries, despite being as good as he is.

Edited by Greg Pappas

With Bradish's situation seemingly tenuous, a trade for a starter is making even more sense.  Burnes, Rodriguez, ?, Kremer, Irvin... Plus Burnes is walking after this season.  I hope Elias can add a starter soon.

Most selling teams are already punting this season, so they’re more interested in guys who will help next year. Nobody’s going to be interested in our 26 man guys except fringe contenders, and they won’t be wanting to give up anyone who will help us now.

We’re going to have to give up one or two of the hot guys at AAA, and maybe not just two. But if we have to pay high, let’s get  someone really good.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Based on what we know at the present time, would you approve of a trade for a quality starter if you felt the pitcher and who we sent back was agreeable?  I understand the bullpen is our biggest need, but IMHO we have enough in the system to cover both.  I also understand such a question comes without details, but it'll cost us, have no doubt about that.  Losing Kjerstad would be one possibility. Perhaps Povich, McDermott, Beavers, Norby or Stowers, and many others could be in play.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

With Bradish's situation seemingly tenuous, a trade for a starter is making even more sense.  Burnes, Rodriguez, ?, Kremer, Irvin... Plus Burnes is walking after this season.  I hope Elias can add a starter soon.

Elias needs get going aggressively and quickly . Our competitiors are not laying around & the prices for pitchers are increasing as supply decreases 

Would anyone explore trading for Kyle Tucker? I saw Houston may explore trading him, and you'd get 1 +1/2 years of him. I know we need a bullpen arm (and maybe a starter), but man Tucker hitting 3rd behind Gunnar and Adley would be sexy. We do lack a true experienced hitter. Maybe a three way trade to unload Tony to an offense starved team like SEA?

26 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Would anyone explore trading for Kyle Tucker? I saw Houston may explore trading him, and you'd get 1 +1/2 years of him. I know we need a bullpen arm (and maybe a starter), but man Tucker hitting 3rd behind Gunnar and Adley would be sexy. We do lack a true experienced hitter. Maybe a three way trade to unload Tony to an offense starved team like SEA?

It would be awesome get Tucker, but I think it would cost too much considering he's a free agent the end of next year and considering our biggest need is a couple of arms.  

That said maybe his price would go down if the O's took Josh Hader off of Houston's hands too.  Hader is risky but he's has pitched well over the past month or so.  The price would go even lower if the O's took Verlander off their hands too.  Verlander has pitched well this year.

But it's nearly impossible to imagine Elias doing a wild AJ Preller style deal like that even if we have the pieces to do it.  Tucker could cost Cowser, maybe more, though maybe less if the O's took highly paid vets off their hands as well.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Who set his innings limit?  I'm not a big believer in hard innings limifs.

He pitched 12.2 innings last year after returning from TJS. They aren't throwing him 200 IP this season, I suspect they don't want to break him again.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He pitched 12.2 innings last year after returning from TJS. They aren't throwing him 200 IP this season, I suspect they don't want to break him again.

Skip some starts or put him in the bullpen for a while.  He's a great talent and I would much rather have him than Luzardo.