The 2024 Trade Deadline

12 hours ago, mrbig1 said:

I checked out this short article.  It read like it was written by AI so I looked at the byline.  Sure enough Sports Illustrated.  Predictably the "writer"  Evan Massey has an extensive yet oddly vague bio.  To his credit, he claims to like to spend his free time with his wife and son. 

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a5/53/c2/a553c2eedd73ccdf4660e4afb3162bce.jpg

• Haha 1

We need to concentrate on the teams most likely to deal.

1. White Sox

2. Oakland A’s

3. Rockies

4. Angels

5. Marlins

Next, you have to think like Elias thinks.  He’s looking for relievers who are undervalued and starters he can get without giving up the big 3 and probably not even Kjerstad.

This will surely disappoint many but he’s not giving up key prospects.   

• Upvote 1

I was surprised to see Tanner Scott's 2024 ERA at 1.69 in a box score last night because from the buzz on here how his control went walkabout again it seemed like his results would be soft.

If you look at the 2.5 season sample 2022-2024, among RP Tanner Scott is:

5th in innings pitched, 11th in fWAR, 16th in K%

My guess is he will be on the BJ Ryan/Andrew Miller half of the football field, and game theory wise Peter Bendix asks Messrs. Cashman and Elias to know he might oppose Juan Soto or Gunnar Henderson almost every game in a playoff series.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We need to concentrate on the teams most likely to deal.

1. White Sox

2. Oakland A’s

3. Rockies

4. Angels

5. Marlins

Next, you have to think like Elias thinks.  He’s looking for relievers who are undervalued and starters he can get without giving up the big 3 and probably not even Kjerstad.

This will surely disappoint many but he’s not giving up key prospects.   

Gee, I was hoping Elias would be looking for starters or relievers that could either lock down or preserve victories on the way to a World Series win and now I'm learning it's all about saving money at the Dollar Store.  I can't wait to see who this year's Fuji and Flaheety is.

55 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I was surprised to see Tanner Scott's 2024 ERA at 1.69 in a box score last night because from the buzz on here how his control went walkabout again it seemed like his results would be soft.

If you look at the 2.5 season sample 2022-2024, among RP Tanner Scott is:

5th in innings pitched, 11th in fWAR, 16th in K%

My guess is he will be on the BJ Ryan/Andrew Miller half of the football field, and game theory wise Peter Bendix asks Messrs. Cashman and Elias to know he might oppose Juan Soto or Gunnar Henderson almost every game in a playoff series.

Scott is not a popular idea here, I suppose because of his track record with us, but it’s one of the best options out there. 

Interestingly enough, right ahead of Tanner Scott in fWAR on that list from 2022-2024 is one Hunter Harvey. 

It could be Rizzo’s Jorge Lopez moment in a month or so — is he willing to do some self-inflicted damage to a fringy wild card run by selling a top reliever at the deadline to bring back more talent to bolster the Abrams/Wood/Crews timeline?

If the guys like Helsley, M. Miller, and Bednar aren’t going to be on the market, throwing a Lopez type package down the parkway to reunite Ryan Mountcastle with his best bud for the next 1.5 seasons might be among the best options.

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Gee, I was hoping Elias would be looking for starters or relievers that could either lock down or preserve victories on the way to a World Series win and now I'm learning it's all about saving money at the Dollar Store.  I can't wait to see who this year's Fuji and Flaheety is.

It’s about preserving the top prospects and still getting good pitchers.   You have a lot to learn.  Don’t expect it to happen in one day.  It could take months, years, or not at all.

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s not a popular idea here, but it’s one of the best options out there. 

Interestingly enough, right ahead of Tanner Scott in fWAR on that list from 2022-2024 is one Hunter Harvey. 

It could be Rizzo’s Jorge Lopez moment in a month or so — is he willing to do some self-inflicted damage to a fringy wild card run by selling a top reliever at the deadline to bring back more talent to bolster the Abrams/Wood/Crews timeline?

If the guys like Helsley, M. Miller, and Bednar aren’t going to be on the market, throwing a Lopez type package down the parkway to reunite Ryan Mountcastle with his best bud for the next 1.5 seasons might be among the best options.

I know that Harvey had all kinds of issues when here, mainly injury related, but when the Os let him go through waivers and  he was claimed....I cringed.  He had some special talent and losing him, after all the time and effort it took to get him healthy and pitching and especially because the Os sucked when he did get claimed?I could never really understand that move.  When it happened I was kind of dumbfounded actually.

And now it looks even worse when we have claimed how many terrible pitchers since that did not have nearly the talent. 

I am happy that he got healthy and is pitching well.  He had a long road.

Tanner Scott leaving I was more ambivalent about but he turned out good too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

For sure but I think in that particular case the burden of proof is on the ownerships and GM's to demonstrate the cold war is over.

The fringe wildcard contenders have much better talent than the dregs of the league so I think most will wait.    Entering the year the Astros and Yankees were two of the other top AL teams, and look at the state of their pitching today too.

Chayce McDermott is maybe the best AAA pitcher a GM is just biding his time with almost anywhere in baseball.

I think there will end up safety in numbers for GM's of .~.500 ballclubs selling off pieces because they don't think their odds are good enough.    I don't believe any of the 30 GM's today know who the best available pitchers at the deadline will be - there's just due diligence another month.

Edited by Just Regular